How to store 330 pounds of beef???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to store 330 pounds of beef???

My dad and I split a steer this year and I need advice on best way to store this meat. I have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer but my wife kinda filled it up with an elk and I topped it off with redfish and trout.

I was considering a big upright freezer to aide in organization since chest freezers can be a pain. My dad doesn’t seem to think one will hold all of the beef and swears by chest freezers.

So, lay it on me. Which route and why and what size would hold half a steer.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a bigger chest freezer. Storage containers or crates will make it easy to divide and separate stuff in chest freezers

Comment

I have room

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve put that much in a “mid-sized” stand up freezer. It’s ~ 5 foot tall x 2 foot wide by ~ 14-16” deep. The problem with a chest freezer was whatever I was looking for was always at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
          My dad and I split a steer this year and I need advice on best way to store this meat. I have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer but my wife kinda filled it up with an elk and I topped it off with redfish and trout.

I was considering a big upright freezer to aide in organization since chest freezers can be a pain. My dad doesn’t seem to think one will hold all of the beef and swears by chest freezers.

So, lay it on me. Which route and why and what size would hold half a steer.

Thanks!

Chest freezers are meats worst nightmare.. it gets lost in the bottom. It's worth the $ to get a good stand up and be able to see what you have and not have to dig for anything.

I keep two 21cf stand ups + 2 regular sxs fridge freezers.

One of the big stand ups will hold half a steer and then a little.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m in Tomball, I’ll unload some of the elk for you, to make room LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
              I’ve put that much in a “mid-sized” stand up freezer. It’s ~ 5 foot tall x 2 foot wide by ~ 14-16” deep. The problem with a chest freezer was whatever I was looking for was always at the bottom.
              ^^^^ That.

My standup is roughly 6.3’x4’x5’. I’ve had way more than 350 lbs in it before.

We got rid of the chest freezer when we found this one 4-5 years ago for the reason mentioned in the quote as well. A stand up is way easier to organize and freezes just as good as a chest freezer.

Comment

I'll never do a chest freezer again.

Upright all the wa.

That will be much less meat than you think it will be. We get half a steer and it easily fits in our 20 cu ft and have tons of room leftover, it only takes up a little over half that space.

Get some baskets and that will help organize like cuts so they're easier to find.

Redrubbit Wire Storage Baskets,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098QLJ228...p_mob_ap_share
                Last edited by JES; 11-23-2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chwoodall View Post
                  Chest freezers are meats worst nightmare.. it gets lost in the bottom. It's worth the $ to get a good stand up and be able to see what you have and not have to dig for anything.

I keep two 21cf stand ups + 2 regular sxs fridge freezers.

One of the big stand ups will hold half a steer and then a little.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                  I’m exact opposite stand up is a beefs worst nightmare. Probably of a dethaw is 900% greater.
                  From experience nothing worse then loosing 1/2 a beef, multiple times

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    I’m exact opposite stand up is a beefs worst nightmare. Probably if a dethaw is 900% greater. From experience nothing worse then loosing 1/2 a beef, multiple times
                    I suppose your right, but I'm counting on no dethaw. Of course it would be terrible to lose that much and having a chest would save your arse... But as far as space and seeing what you have, by far the stand up. I'm in mine every day so I'd know if something was wrong and would be able to save it if so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

We move a lot of beef and I’m an upright guy all the way, have two chest and two uprights… won’t Ever buy a chest freezer again.

If it’s 330#’s after processing you’ll need about 11-12 cubic feet. If it was 330#’s hanging you’ll only need about 8-9 cubic feet after it’s done.

Comment

I prefer a stand up, purely for organizing, so much easier looking then digging

Comment

Chest is probably easier to get a big one. Baskets make it easy to keep organized

Comment

Buy a 19-21 cubic upright and cry.

Buy a temp alarm for it.

It will serve you for a couple decades.

Comment

Buy a pressure canner

Comment

Working...
                              X