Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussing death with your kid...and failing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussing death with your kid...and failing.

So my 7 year old son and I are in the backyard yesterday and he asks, "how old is Goldie" (our Australian Shepherd). I said she's 11. "Well how long will she live?" I'm not sure. She's already pretty old, but she's healthy so hopefully a few more years. Then the question, "what happens when we die?".

I said, "Well it depends on who you ask. Some people think your soul goes to Heaven, some think it's like being asleep, no one knows for sure." He asked, "what is a soul?" I did my best to explain but he just wasn't getting it. I don't remember the exact sequence after that but it ended with us looking at google images of ghosts and souls leaving bodies. I'll admit it got away from me there at the end.

Long story short, once bed time came he wasn't having any of it. He slept in our room and the wife gave me a speech on what is appropriate to discuss with him. My daughter is 17 and I don't think she ever asked the question so not bad for a first try

dad'n aint easy

Comment

"I'll admit it got away from me there at the end"...

Man if I had a nickel....

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        "I'll admit it got away from me there at the end"...

Man if I had a nickel....
        lol that was a great line...

Comment

There are some questions you think you have a handle on ahead of time but even those don't always work out.
          The out of the blue questions you have not anticipated,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
            So my 7 year old son and I are in the backyard yesterday and he asks, "how old is Goldie" (our Australian Shepherd). I said she's 11. "Well how long will she live?" I'm not sure. She's already pretty old, but she's healthy so hopefully a few more years. Then the question, "what happens when we die?".

I said, "Well it depends on who you ask. Some people think your soul goes to Heaven, some think it's like being asleep, no one knows for sure." He asked, "what is a soul?" I did my best to explain but he just wasn't getting it. I don't remember the exact sequence after that but it ended with us looking at google images of ghosts and souls leaving bodies. I'll admit it got away from me there at the end.

Long story short, once bed time came he wasn't having any of it. He slept in our room and the wife gave me a speech on what is appropriate to discuss with him. My daughter is 17 and I don't think she ever asked the question so not bad for a first try
            Greatness love this

Comment

Our soul is our spirit that lives forever. It's who we really are inside. Our flesh on the outside is just temporary. That's what will eventually die, but our soul is eternal. God's desire is for our spirits, our souls, to live with Him forever in Heaven after our time on earth in our physical bodies is done. If we love Him and devote our mortal lives to serving Him with Jesus as our Lord and Savior, then we'll get to do that. And it's gonna be AWESOME!

Comment

We did this when I had our dog put down a few months back. My son is 10 and he seemed to get some level of grasp on it. I could tell he was thinking on it pretty hard for a few days.

Comment

Yall are better than me, 4 yr old was with us opening day and watched a buck "have his belly opened" as she called it...didnt go great, but she told me she will be brave next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Our soul is our spirit that lives forever. It's who we really are inside. Our flesh on the outside is just temporary. That's what will eventually die, but our soul is eternal. God's desire is for our spirits, our souls, to live with Him forever in Heaven after our time on earth in our physical bodies is done. If we love Him and devote our mortal lives to serving Him with Jesus as our Lord and Savior, then we'll get to do that. And it's gonna be AWESOME!
                    ^^This^^

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                      Yall are better than me, 4 yr old was with us opening day and watched a buck "have his belly opened" as she called it...didnt go great, but she told me she will be brave next time.
                      I waited for mine to see that, until it was HIS deer. I said "this part is kinda gross, but we gotta do it so we can eat the deer". He looked at me like "ok, git to it already!" He was 6 then.

Comment

Our miniature Schnauzer has a stuffed penguin that he humps every night at 7pm.

My kids always ask why does he wrestle with the penguin like that. I fear the day that they figure out that Bear isn't wrestling with the penguin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is your oldest kid, right? Of course you screwed it up! First-born children are always screwed up.

Next time, when the younger children start asking those same questions, all you have to say is, “Go ask your older brother (or sister).” Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            This is what I was trying to say. When I saw you post I knew you would say it better.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            This is your oldest kid, right? Of course you screwed it up! First-born children are always screwed up.

Next time, when the younger children start asking those same questions, all you have to say is, “Go ask your older brother (or sister).” Problem solved.
                            No, this is my youngest. I have a daughter that is 17, but I don't remember her asking this question. If she did I probably would've sugar coated it to the point she didn't learn anything. With the boy I am a lot more direct.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                              This is what I was trying to say. When I saw you post I knew you would say it better.

No, this is my youngest. I have a daughter that is 17, but I don't remember her asking this question. If she did I probably would've sugar coated it to the point she didn't learn anything. With the boy I am a lot more direct.
                              If you ever figure out how to answer all the questions perfectly, I hope you'll write a book or something so the rest of us can get some pointers!

Kids can ask some really great questions sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X