No announcement yet.

Deep East Tx Deer Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will add that I shot my first 10 point ever this season and my wife shot the best buck ever taken on our lease two days later, a 12 point.
    And ever since I put the two feeders I run inside pens the pigs have relocated to feeders without pens on the far side of my lease. That one thing helped deer sightings.

Comment

I have 4,000 acres split between Polk and Hardin. Our deer population is way down compared to years past. We do have better bucks thanks to antler restrictions but overall numbers of deer is very low

Comment

We had not been seeing a lot of numbers until the last couple of weeks. They have been coming out of the woodworks.

I attribute this to the acorn crop playing out.

Having and seeing a whole bunch of deer does not always equate to a healthy deer herd. Our sightings have been up over the past +5 years, but our average weights have significantly suffered.

We are MLD and have been from over a decade.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-25-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Here is where this goes …. Doe pop continues to go down. Base year fawns (year 1) shrinks which ultimately means fewer 4, 5 and 6 year old bucks. That’s when everybody’s gonna sit up and take notice. Despite numbers being down, there are still good bucks in the woods but these were yearlings five years ago when the numbers were still stable.

This will not be an issue on larger private tracts that do not shoot does and/or are not MLD.

Just a theory.

Comment

My two feeders are showing 2 does/1 yearling and 3 does/2 yearlings every day +/- an extra every once in a while. I also have a group of 2 does/1yearling at a trough feeder at the front of the property most of the time and a few does at the back of the property which come over from the neighbors. these are the usual sets that show up. I have around 250 acres. Bucks have not been impressive this year. 1 shooter that is MIA and quite a few 2-3 year old's. I usually don't shoot does though. Might take one during muzzleloader for the freezer.

Comment

What I’m seeing on our place in Panola county is we have a good number of doe but missing a lot of our mature big bucks. Last year I bet we had a dozen or so really good mature bucks. Don’t know if the freeze got most or what. Then we are short on fawns. I count that to coyotes being I have a pic of a coyote with a fawn in it’s mouth.

Comment

Working...
              X