Cattle prices low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle prices low

I took a young Bull 1,200 pounds to the sale barn last week got my check today. 65 cents a pound. Hamburger st an all time high. Someone is making money somewhere. Not i.

Originally posted by Big Red 82 View Post
    I took a young Bull 1,200 pounds to the sale barn last week got my check today. 65 cents a pound. Hamburger st an all time high. Someone is making money somewhere. Not i.
    That's easy... ever seen a feeder go unsold? Me neither but tune into Jbs’s 4th qtr profits.

Comment

You're doing it wrong. Had lunch with a deputy today that covers the sales barn around here.

He said recently a guy sold his cow, got a check cut to him, then went back and re-bought his cow using a hot check.

Genius!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

That is what happens when you have a monopoly in the packing industry. They control the prices. It is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
          That is what happens when you have a monopoly in the packing industry. They control the prices. It is ridiculous.
          Yep, there are some ranchers in the midwest forming together to fight this with their own meat packing. Texas should do the same....

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
            Yep, there are some ranchers in the midwest forming together to fight this with their own meat packing. Texas should do the same....
            I worked in the industry for forty years. Can't begin to count, or remember even, how many times I have seen this idea fail. The big packers have a stranglehold on the end customers. It is going to take government action to put an end to the present situation. This is unlikely with the present bunch of clowns holding the levers of power in Washington.

Comment

You did better than a relative of mine. He just sold a bull that weighed a few pounds less than yours and only got 55 cents a pound. He said they catagorized it as something due to it being over 950 pounds. If it was less than 950 then he would have gotten more per pound for it. He told me the only way to make money right now is to sell a heifer and a calf as a pair. Said he would get $2,500 for the pair doing that.

Comment

What type of bull was he? That sounds like Longhorn prices! That's less than Low yielding prices .

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
                  What type of bull was he? That sounds like Longhorn prices! That's less than Low yielding prices .
                  Santa gertrudis. 3 year old.

Comment

Yeah it really sucks. I took a load of calves to the sale last week and it was disappointing to say the least, especially seeing the prices at the grocery stores. I hope something can be done about it. Its no wonder why so many property owners are switching to wildlife exemptions and getting out of the business.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      I worked in the industry for forty years. Can't begin to count, or remember even, how many times I have seen this idea fail. The big packers have a stranglehold on the end customers. It is going to take government action to put an end to the present situation. This is unlikely with the present bunch of clowns holding the levers of power in Washington.
                      What government regulation led to the formation of the monopolies? Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
                        What government regulation led to the formation of the monopolies? Any ideas?
                        Lack of really. Look how JBS is built.

JBS started to get vertically integrated a while back when the started acquiring the major feedlots. There was a government suit over I think price setting.

They ended up selling them to 5 rivers, I wouldn’t be shock if they own a large portion of five river’s. Never seen a feeder go unsold regardless of market price. Just something to ponder

And there was legislation purpose in 17 and Obama killed it
                        Last edited by Texans42; 11-23-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

November 13, 2021

3124 Head

Steers

300-400 $1.85 - $2.17

400-500 $1.70 - $2.02

500-600 $1.45 - $1.70

600-700 $1.30 - $1.60

700-800 $1.28 - $1.55

800-900 $1.25 - $1.54

900+ $1.15 - $1.40

Heifers

300-400 $1.45 - $1.75

400-500 $1.35 - $1.64

500-600 $1.25 - $1.50 Open

600-700 $1.20 - $1.45 Open

700-800 $1.15 - $1.43 Open

800-900 $1.10 - $1.35 Open

900+ $0.95 - $1.12 Open

Packer Cows $0.40 - $0.70

Packer Bulls $0.65 - $0.95
                          Last edited by BrianL; 11-23-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

You try selling him out right or was something wrong with him? Prices are actually up some here but no where near the crazy prices they getting for meat. I checked on nitrogen and its up to $775 a ton here. I dont see how to make money with cattle anymore.

Im going to build a walk in cooler and start eating more of them. If I can afford the feed to finish them. I hate grass finished meat.

Comment

Seafood business........ same scenario

Comment

Working...
                              X