Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How sensitive is brace height on a trad bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String slipped off the Grizzly when in transport ( it was unstrung )

Original brace height when I string it up was 7 7/8ths inches, it shot good so I left it there. When it came time to re-string it was exactly 7 1/2 “, I shot it a few times and it shot good there as well. Manual says brace height is 8.5-7.5”

Is brace height something on a trad bow that is super sensitive or is it more of a “ get it within this range “ type of deal ?

There is always a gap in recommended b/h because it will vary from shooter to shooter depending on a lot of different factors like Actual Draw length, arrow weight, sting material, etc..
    As long as your within the recommended parameters and it shoots good for you your good!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
      There is always a gap in recommended b/h because it will vary from shooter to shooter depending on a lot of different factors like Actual Draw length, arrow weight, sting material, etc..
      As long as your within the recommended parameters and it shoots good for you your good!
      ^This X2

I'll add this - you can have two supposedly identical bows from the same manufacturer, and they will often require a different brace height from one to the other in order to shoot the same arrow the same way.

Rick

Comment

Also.....

It it normal for the brace height to vary after its been strung and shot?

I set the BH back to 7 7'8th and shot it about a dozen or so times. Checked it before i put it backup and it was a 7 3/4's....

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
          Also.....

It it normal for the brace height to vary after its been strung and shot?

I set the BH back to 7 7'8th and shot it about a dozen or so times. Checked it before i put it backup and it was a 7 3/4's....
          Yes. Strings have to stretch in. With endless loop, fast flight strings it doesn't take much. Dacron strings are different and Flemish twist take a little more to settle in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I can tell something is off if my BH gets more than 1/8” off. I keep a bow square in my quiver check BH often. I know where I want it, and it’d it’s off just a tad when I check it, I will adjust as needed.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you don’t already have them, get a string keeper for each one of your bows you regularly cart around! That will keep your string from falling off the bow.

That pic is from 3-Rivers website and the keeper is on that bow backwards! [emoji38] the little felt pad is supposed to go towards the bow limb!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Bisch; 11-15-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Once you get used to that bow and after the string settles in, you will figure out what the bow likes. If your bow is tolerant within a range, just remember that lower brace height means a longer power stroke which should result in a little faster arrow.

Comment

The new 38# limbs for my Bob Lee vibrate like craze at 8" BH. At 8 1/8" you can still feel it. But at 8 1/4" they are dead quiet. Kind of on the high side, but it's what it likes.
                  Last edited by SJP51; 11-17-2021, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X