If you had 8 hunts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had 8 hunts...

If you had Thursday afternoon thru Monday morning to hunt a place with no stands, no feeders and essentially zero human hunting pressure, what would you use for bait piles aside from corn?

Peanut butter, roasted soy beans, or vanilla extract. If they don’t know what corn is there not going to react like other places. Better finding a good feeding area and trails in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Acorns.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        If you had Thursday afternoon thru Monday morning to hunt a place with no stands, no feeders and essentially zero human hunting pressure, what would you use for bait piles aside from corn?
        Mock scrapes and a couple piles of b&j as well as a couple piles of sugar beet crush from wild game innovations. Maybe even hang a jar of peanut butter.
        I have literally watched bucks dig holes in the ground for the sugar beet powder.
        Last edited by BlessedVeteran0305; 11-09-2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Water….If there are some on the place.

Comment

Hot doe pee on a scrape line or Big & J around a watering hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
              Water….If there are some on the place.
              I'll be sitting 25yds from the bank of a river in Northwest TX.

Comment

Travel routes. Look at google earth and find out the WHY, I haven’t hunted a feeder for years. I look at the neighboring land and find the funnel points.

Comment

Nothing. But if the timing was right I'd **** sure have a set of rattling horns.

Comment

It's our annual Throckmorton County trip. The property is only hunted one weekend a year. I'll be sitting where I did last year between the water holes from the old river channel and the river Bank. I'll be facing East with a Northeast wind most hunts. I thought about roasted soybean and corn but was curious what other lures yall might use...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201111_125800.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	24668890

Comment

I'm assuming that's the Clear Fork. I would be rattling! Should be about right for middle of the rut

Comment

I'll be sitting 25yds from the bank of a river in Northwest TX.
                        Good deal.

Like said M16 said…You may try some rattling horns as well.

Also, may try some rice bran at a spot and see how they react.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                          I'm assuming that's the Clear Fork. I would be rattling! Should be about right for middle of the rut
                          Yes sir, Clear Fork. Being from East TX I've never had much luck rattling but may give it a go up there.

Comment

If it were I, seeing it’s a 3.5 day hunt I wouldn’t waste much time on stuff they don’t know and have never smelled or eaten, unless it’s maybe a doe
                            I’d be hunting the oaks if the acorns are dropping. Rutting bucks don’t eat much anyway as they’re always on the move and when they do, it’s pretty quick.
                            As others said, I’d rattle hard and often and play the wind right with as good a vantage point as you can.

Comment

Yes sir, Clear Fork. Being from East TX I've never had much luck rattling but may give it a go up there.
                              I’ve hunted out west a while. They respond to rattling way better it seems than rattling further east and closer to DFW…

Comment

Working...
                              X