HVAC guys... is this price right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC guys... is this price right?

Our system is 5 or 6 years old but twice a year they come and look at the unit. He took a pic and said we had "biological growth" that needed a UV light. Quoted us nearly $1,200.

That just seems insane. Is this an issue that needs to be fixed? If so, anyone do it for less?
    Attached Files

Is this the same company that did the original installation ?

If so ... ask them what they did improperly that created this issue

Comment

I’ll make that drive for $900.

I take PayPal or Venmo.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
        Is this the same company that did the original installation ?

If so ... ask them what they did improperly that created this issue
        Yes sir sure is.

Comment

Run, run, run - someone is just trying to sell you something, and that’s stupid expensive for an old technology in my opinion. Plus the UV bulbs degrade over time but I’m sure they’ll gladly sell you a replacement every 12-18 months.

There’s several reasons for the “growth” - mainly due to humid conditions because either your unit isn’t sized properly, the unit isn’t functioning properly, or a few other things like excess infiltration (i.e., a drafty house). I’d be questioning if they really did check your system to see if everything was working correctly vs trying to sell you something.

That being said, I’m about to replace the unit in my house and I’m going with bi polar ionization. We’ve done some pre and post installation air quality testing in our business office and bi polar really does work - plus it’s way cheaper and has way less maintenance than UV. Plus our technicians install this stuff a lot and we have our ear to the ground since indoor air quality is becoming “a thing”(albeit we don’t do residential work.)
          Last edited by StrayDog; 10-14-2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
            Run, run, run - someone is just trying to sell you something, and that’s stupid expensive for an old technology in my opinion. Plus the UV bulbs degrade over time but I’m sure they’ll gladly sell you a replacement every 12-18 months.

There’s several reasons for the “growth” - mainly due to humid conditions because either your unit isn’t sized properly, the unit isn’t functioning properly, or a few other things like excess infiltration (i.e., a drafty house). I’d be questioning if they really did check your system to see if everything was working correctly vs trying to sell you something.

That being said, I’m about to replace the unit in my house and I’m going with bi polar ionization. We’ve done some pre and post installation air quality testing in our business office and bi polar really does work - plus it’s way cheaper and has way less maintenance than UV. Plus our technicians install this stuff a lot and we have our ear to the ground since indoor air quality is becoming “a thing”(albeit we don’t do residential work.)

Exactly what this man said! Nailed it

Comment

So being the non HVAC person I am, why can't you just open the cover and spray it with a bleach/water mix or vinegar/water mix a couple times a year?

Comment

Originally posted by flinch View Post
                So being the non HVAC person I am, why can't you just open the cover and spray it with a bleach/water mix or vinegar/water mix a couple times a year?
                See that is what I was thinking...

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

That is WAY WAY WAY overpriced you should be able to get it 400-600 range. I have one and run a dog daycare boarding out of my home, you can’t smell dogs and after cooking bacon you can’t smell it 30 minutes later! I love mine and it does make a huge difference in the smell of your home. Shop around you can get them cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
                    That is WAY WAY WAY overpriced you should be able to get it 400-600 range. I have one and run a dog daycare boarding out of my home, you can’t smell dogs and after cooking bacon you can’t smell it 30 minutes later! I love mine and it does make a huge difference in the smell of your home. Shop around you can get them cheaper
                    ^^ This...

Comment

Depends what brand, if it’s a REME Halo then that’s on par. If it’s a blue tube or similar brand, that’s too high. I stopped selling the REME’s due to the crazy price.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post

Got any more info on the bi polar ionization? That sounds tempting.

Comment

If you put any UV light in that blower compartment it will destroy the blower housing. UV light will deteriorate plastic drain pans and flex duct liners. Plasma Air might work. I like my Reme Halo but the bulbs are stupid expensive. Is this system zoned?

Comment

Lets see the inside of your plenum.

Crap grows on anything where hot meets cold, vice versa, and moisture condensates. Bare painted metal…crap will grow as evidenced. Bleach it. Ozone the system. Im interested in this bipolarization hooplah. Im surprised no one has asked about a dehumidifier.
                            Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-15-2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind that bipolar ionization does not kill mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X