Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #801
18ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Awesome to see his return. Question? If it were Spieth or anyone else for that matter would you be tired of their name being spoken of all the time as well?
Depending on who it is, YES.
18ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #802
Gclyde12
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction, Freer

I think the Tiger vs Jack argument is a tough call as both were dominating the sport at their times. But when it comes to growing the game of golf in my opinion it’s no comparison of what Tiger has done for the games popularity world wide. It’s gotta be awesome for all these young guys on tour to get to be between the ropes with the guy that got them interested in the game.
Gclyde12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #803
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

I was impressed with his elation and humblness after the win. No arrogance or cockiness from the past.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #804
TxDieselKid
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
I understand that he was once one of the best ever, but... BYE!!
He's done. I listen to and watch a lot of golf and I'm sick of hearing his name. He is a washed up has been that will never win another tourney. Can we stop glossing him already.
Does anybody even care if he comes back???
Boy that didn't age too well at all.
TxDieselKid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #805
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I don’t think you can label Tiger the GOAT. Yet. He’s still behind Jack in major wins. And he’s behind San Sneed for most tour wins. It was good to see him win yesterday, and I don’t dislike him as much now as I used to.
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #806
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
I will say that I'm very pleased Tiger stayed steady and won. He's been very close several times this year and gotten better and more solid in various aspects -- notably driving accuracy and putting.

He tweaked his equipment, getting the right shaft and loft in his driver -- leading to more fairways off the tee, for instance. As close as he was at the PGA with ZERO fairways on the front nine of the final round, imagine if he had figured out his driver set-up a month earlier: might have added another major there. He switched back to his old faithful putter and one-putted like it was going out of style. And don't forget that he was leading on the back nine of the British Open's final round.

This latest win just brought everything together for him. Could be a real renaissance ahead. It could be compelling drama to see a new generation of pro golfers learn what it means to compete against, possibly, the greatest golfer who has ever lived. For many, Tiger was their golfing inspiration and idol in an almost mythological sense. Now, they're finding out that he is not just a figurehead but an opponent beyond compare. He is certainly one of the fiercest competitors there has ever been in any sport.
Great post!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
My 8 year old loves to golf, but he's never been all that interested in watching. We saw Tiger's last 4 holes while at lunch yesterday after church. I really can't say that I've ever seen him that excited about any televised event.

When we got home, he insisted that we sit and zip through Tiger's entire round on the DVR, which I obliged. At 4:00, we were in the back hitting wedges at buckets to win the Masters.

To say that Tiger is anything other than great for the game is either (1) disingenuous or (2) ignorant.
Sadly, probably a whole LOT of both!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
My son is 11yrs old and has been interested in playing golf a little over the years and listens to me talk about who wins from time to time. But he is now has experienced the Dallas Mavericks win, The Texas Rangers go the the World Series 2x and Tiger woods win another major. When I told him Tiger just took the share of the lead he was interested in going to watch because he knows how big of a deal it is for a guy that old going against all that young talent. There were 2 aces on the same hole yesterday......the competition is stiff but I have heard more about golf in the past 3 months than the past 3 years because Tiger has finally got his act together for this past week. If social media had been around 50 years ago you would have heard more garbage about sports and other icons that would have tainted your opinion on those people. Having Tiger back is good for golf! If you dont like golf why did you click on this thread??? lol
Yes, not many of our sporting hero's and icons (past or present) would qualify to be given a SAINThood!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #807
45 ACP
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
I understand that he was once one of the best ever, but... BYE!!
He's done. I listen to and watch a lot of golf and I'm sick of hearing his name. He is a washed up has been that will never win another tourney. Can we stop glossing him already. I don't care what club he's swinging, what ball he's hitting, or what shirt he's wearing. The game is going to be just fine without him.
Does anybody even care if he comes back???
Haha..... love seeing such an opinionated member be proven flat out WRONG!
45 ACP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #808
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Red-River County

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Is Jordan done? For the record Iím a fan.

Miller needed to be done.
He's done UNTIL he comes up with a different plan, he never acknowledge the real problem, all he did was create another one..his real problem is his putting inside 8 feet, he's got a small yip once he gets inside that range, its been ongoing since late 2016....

he decided he needed to gain more yardage, hence the swing change, he was top 10 on tour in strokes gain approach to the tee before the swing change and we won 3 majors with that chicken wing swing, now he's created a mess and that's why you see him score terrible at least 1-2 rounds every tournament, he's still got a very strong will to win but he's not going anywhere until he changes his plan...not saying change coaches but something has to give before he's outside the top 75 in the world, and its very hard to do that but his poor play/finishes is pretty consistent so far
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #809
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
He's done UNTIL he comes up with a different plan, he never acknowledge the real problem, all he did was create another one..his real problem is his putting inside 8 feet, he's got a small yip once he gets inside that range, its been ongoing since late 2016....

he decided he needed to gain more yardage, hence the swing change, he was top 10 on tour in strokes gain approach to the tee before the swing change and we won 3 majors with that chicken wing swing, now he's created a mess and that's why you see him score terrible at least 1-2 rounds every tournament, he's still got a very strong will to win but he's not going anywhere until he changes his plan...not saying change coaches but something has to give before he's outside the top 75 in the world, and its very hard to do that but his poor play/finishes is pretty consistent so far
I also think heís in his own head. Address the ball, back off, address, back off, grab the towel, address and finally hit it.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #810
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler and Jasper counties

I’m not a fan of tiger, never have been. He’s always seemed like an arrogant Jackass and for the most part, like he saw himself as being above everyone else. Great golfer, won’t say he isn’t. What I am impressed with, cause I was rooting against him, is how he shanked a few in the bushes, put his head down and went about his business and played through and made it happen. He didn’t go all temper tantrum like I’ve seen home do.

And he seems very humble during his interview after the win. Like he actually appreciates the win and wasn’t entitled to it. Maybe he has matured in his old age, i don’t know. But congrats to tiger, I know that has been a long road to victory on that one.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #811
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I care, I like to watch him....and DJ, and Bubba, and Jordan.......everyone to his own likes. I like golf period
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #812
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Just a thought. Did Jack face the same equivalent competition in his glory years?
Even Jack has admitted the depth of the fields that Tiger played against in his prime were much stronger. That depth has taken several leaps since even the mid 2000's.

But, Jack played against some of the best ever in Arnie, Trevino, Watson, Johnny Miller, Weiskopf, etc. Jack only had to beat 7-8 guys in most majors.

I heard one talking head say that Tiger was the best player of all time and that Jack was the best champion of all time. In Tiger's prime, nobody has ever played the game better nor had so complete an array of golf skills.

Jack has 18 professional majors (and 2 US amateurs which were considered majors at the time). Tiger has 15 professional majors (and 3 US amateurs). So, if Tiger wins three more majors the conversation is over, imo.

But, until then Jack Nicklaus is the man.

Last edited by El General; 04-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #813
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Awesome to see his return. Question? If it were Spieth or anyone else for that matter would you be tired of their name being spoken of all the time as well?
Surely you're not trying the race card here. Kinda seems like it.

The vast majority of white America adores this man. The haters hate because he was so dominant for so long.....not because of his skin color.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 04-15-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #814
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Don’t kid yourself, there are haters because he’s black. Not saying anyone here, but they’re out there.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #815
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land

Congrats

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #816
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Nope. don't like Tiger.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #817
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Nope. don't like Tiger.
Same thing in all sports. Some people love them and others hate them. Been going on forever. I'm an old fart. I remember people not liking Jack because he was too straight. Others loved Arnold because he would go have a beer at the end of the day.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #818
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #819
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I thought Arnold drank 1/2 tea 1/2 lemonade.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #820
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Melvin Tx
Talking

What he won Yesterday? First I heard of it
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #821
tgridley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays County

I care, I think he is the best golfer that ever played and did more for the sport than anyone. Some people just can't stand for others to do well. Some people just hate winners. Some don't like Nick Saben because he is a winner. I just love it when people say Tiger is finished and will never win another major! How does that crow taste?
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #822
tgridley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays County
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I get tired of hearing about him and when he plays they feature him even when he is 5 over par and hacking it all over the course.
oops.
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:18 AM   #823
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Jack's top 7 competitors won 40 majors and 250+ tournaments and are all in the HOF...that's just the Top 7. I have another theory if you'll indulge me. While Tiger's competitors are likely just as gifted, I don't think today's players have the same heart for a simple reason....the insane amount of money that the guy finishing second, fifth or twentieth wins. Guys back then battled each other for victories. Today, if you finish second, you still win a **** King's ransom.

Another argument for Jack being the GOAT is the fact that he not only did he win 18 Majors, but he finished 2nd in 19 other Majors....Woods finish second 6 times. Jack was TOP THREE in 48 Majors....Woods in 24.

I can't argue with anyone that thinks Woods is the GOAT, he's **** hard to critique, but I can sure plead a case for Jack.
Totally agree with you on Jack but Tiger changed the face of golf FOREVER. Jack never did that.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #824
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Totally agree with you on Jack but Tiger changed the face of golf FOREVER. Jack never did that.

Absolutely!!! No question about that. The purses that golfers win now are due to Tiger. He changed the game forever.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #825
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Who is to say someone might come along and do it again in X amount of years?

Sports are dynamic. Stats are static. Save the GOAT talk.

The tee shot on sixteen was enough for this hater to tip my beer.

Let's give some props up to his girlfriend. She's found a way to keep his head focused.

JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #826
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgridley View Post
oops.
No ooops,
I watch golf almost religiously and for many years he has sucked but the media coverage was if he was still world #1. When a guy is world 1100 I dont need to hear about his every shot. So he is better these days as a player and a person. Good

Last edited by flywise; 04-16-2019 at 07:44 AM.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #827
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Absolutely!!! No question about that. The purses that golfers win now are due to Tiger. He changed the game forever.
Also, he's a better golfer.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #828
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Also, he's a better golfer.

Stop doing drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #829
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
No ooops,
I watch golf almost religiously and for many years he has sucked but the media coverage was if he was still world #1. When a guy is world 1100 I dont need to hear about his every shot. So he is better these days as a player and a person. Good
I'm a huge tiger fan and love to see him back to glory, but I am right there with you. It was a little hard watching when they showcased everything he did. Just think, what the coverage will be in a couple weeks when he tees it up again.
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #830
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Nope. don't like Tiger.
2x. But now we'll have to put up with him for 20 more years when he's long gone. Many folks don't know ANYTHING about golf but they crow about Tiger with their buddies and ignore his pitiful character.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #831
Apodz
Six Point

Hunt In: Central, Brazil’s Valley and West Texas

I think the original poster, plus anybody that rode his **** on this one should have to comment on here that they acknowledge that they are just a hater. I would be surprised if they don’t live every day that way. We all know those people that just always hate because that’s who they are.

Winners worry about winning. Losers worry about winners.
Apodz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #832
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
2x. But now we'll have to put up with him for 20 more years when he's long gone. Many folks don't know ANYTHING about golf but they crow about Tiger with their buddies and ignore his pitiful character.
You need a snickers?
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #833
meltingfeather
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #834
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apodz View Post
I think the original poster, plus anybody that rode his **** on this one should have to comment on here that they acknowledge that they are just a hater. I would be surprised if they donít live every day that way. We all know those people that just always hate because thatís who they are.

Winners worry about winning. Losers worry about winners.

So fans are supposed to like EVERY athlete and EVERY team in EVERY sport?

No dislike for the rivals of your teams/players?

Not.
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #835
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

I’m getting too old for pedestals. The Tiger story is great reading and a great adventure. Heck, the man’s name is frickn “Tiger”; born for greatness! I’m not a fan of the GOAT labels.

Curt, I’m an admirer of your posts but, as an engineer and devout contrarian, I have to point out your post actually highlights why the GOAT label works against Jack. If the top 7 are winning all those tourneys, my take away is he was in a shallow pool. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan and hit many a ball into the back pasture that I called “Augusta” and defeating the golden bear week in and week out but, the competion just wasn’t as deep. I also believe the field is more skilled today than when Tiger made his run. And that is 100% his making.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #836
Landrover
Pope & Young

Crickets????

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #837
snappertapper
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Crickets????

Its great.
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #838
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

eighty. two.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #839
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Crickets????

Played some awesome golf this weekend! Hopefully he adds a few more wins this season and maybe another major
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #840
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Had knee surgery 9 weeks ago, first tourney or the year, tough field and led wire to wire.....
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #841
jaker_cc
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Did he win the zozo??? I watched for a few minutes but only to like hole 13!!
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #842
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

He is a playin dude!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #843
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

Tiger is the GOAT....
No offense to Jack....but he had about 10-12 guys to beat....Tiger has had 100s....

It was the Tiger affect....

And if you look at the numbers ..it's really not even close...
And I think in his heart Jack knows it too
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #844
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

He won the Zozo by 3!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #845
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

It was awesome.

82 baby!
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #846
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
It was awesome.

82 baby!
Yes it was.......yep, lots more to come!!!!

Old 10-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #847
youngSLY88
Spike

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

The GOAT!!!
youngSLY88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #848
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Itís golf so never have, never will.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #849
ccallarman
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

This thread has not aged well
ccallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #850
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallarman View Post
This thread has not aged well

Oh you donít know the half of it...wonder What ol Rack Ranch has been up to lately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top