Quiver on/off? What quiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiver on/off? What quiver?

Okay, so I'm pretty new to the traditional side of things. On my compound, I use a detachable quiver, and rarely shoot with it on. I have been shooting my recurve enough that I feel comfortable with it at given distances, and I want to shoot a deer with it this year. So far, I've just been putting my arrows in my other detachable quiver, and lugging it along.

How do you "real" guys do it? Do you carry a detached type quiver or something different? I've looked at the Eagle's Flight quivers, and think that might fill the bill. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. Is there a good alternative to an attached quiver that carries broadheads?

I'm shooting an old Bear recurve, and will not be drilling holes or otherwise hard mounting a quiver to it.

Thanks,
    skooter

It is all personal preference. I do not shoot with a quiver on my bow. I use a Great Northeren Sidekick quiver, which has a shoulder strap. Or I use a Farr West Leather quiver which hooks on my belt. On or off the bow does not matter, except that you need to practice with it the way you are going to hunt with it. If you have been practicing with no quiver on the bow, then I would not hunt with a quiver on the bow!

You can also get a bow quiver that straps on and off easily. I did it that way for a long time. Just take the quiver off when you get in a stand. If you have a 3pc takedown bow, I can fix you up with a Great Northern QD quiver that I no longer use, if yo are interested.

Bisch
    Last edited by Bisch; 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I prefer not to shoot with a quiver attached. I have two quivers I really like - a Great Northern Quick-Detach quiver and a G. Fred Asbell side quiver. Here is the GFA:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	G_Fred_Asbell_Quiver.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	24417085

Comment

i have the eagles flight 3 arrow quiver, cheap, light, and effective

Comment

Hunt how you practice. I carry a side quiver when hunting and a back quiver for 3d or target (I need the capacity, lol)

Comment

I didn't want to buy more quivers (I have enough as it is). So I purchased this Sidewinder Hip Quiver Adapter from 3Rivers and just attached my quick-release bow quiver to it. I can remove it quickly when I get to my spot, and I didn't have to buy another quiver. Sometimes I carry a small 3 arrow Kwickee Kwiver and other times I'll carry a 6 arrow. Both just clip on / clip off.

All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

I use the Eagles flight 3 arrow also. I will probably end up making a bolt on since all I shoot now is a takedown. I've never used a quiver that didn't attach to the bow that was easy to walk through brush and carry a pack with.

Comment

Thanks all. This will give me a good start. I think I would prefer shooting with the quiver off but haven't tried with it on yet either. Maybe my local shop will let me test drive one on the range. Y'all have a great Thanksgiving. Looks like duck hunting weather for the next couple of days up here in Oklahoma.

Comment

Check out Kanati quivers, best quiver hands down!

Comment

I'm not sure that I qualify as a "real" trad guy, but I use a Selway slide on quiver with my recurve. The bow seems to shoot a little quieter and the slight bit of additional mass weight seems help my shooting.

Comment

Skooter like you I have primarily shot a compound, but have been moving towards the recurve more and more. I like a hip quiver, and am cheap so I made my own from an old pair of blue jean pants leg. I have since died the quiver brown, but it works great.
                      Side Note: I always practice and shoot with the quiver attached to my bow so there is no extra time wasted, but I also stalk hunt a lot, no need in having to detach just to take a good shot when it arrives
                      Attached Files

Comment

As attached to bow, I am saying my compound bow quiver stays attached, the one pictured rides across my mid section just fine.

Comment

Kwikee quiver, taken off when shootin/huntin. Homemade bracket attached to riser with bicycle inner tube...Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                            Kwikee quiver, taken off when shootin/huntin. Homemade bracket attached to riser with bicycle inner tube...Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                            Please post a picture of this homemade bracket.

Comment

I think I've built a hundred different quivers through the years. I quit after building the one I use now. It is just perfect for me. The fletching rides out back of me so animals can't see it while I'm walking. I can go through brush and even fences just by holding it with my hand and moving it as I crawl through stuff. I have a water proof hood that clips over the fletching for wet conditions. I used a straight, 10 arrow bar from Martin and usually take 6 arrows with me to the stand, 2 judos and 4 broadheads. When I pig hunt, I fill it up.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X