It's time - Traditional Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time - Traditional Archery

Hello everyone! I'll spare ya'll my full backstory, but I have been wanting to get into traditional archery for many years now. I am looking for a little advice as I venture into my first bow. Bear in mind I am a hunter, and will be shooting for the sport, but also plan to hunt with the bow.

- I currently shoot a 29" draw bow at 63#. It's a weight I can shoot all day without any fatigue. I am curious as to what would be a good beginner weight and draw length for a traditional bow for me?

- Would this be a weight that I can eventually take hunting, or would I need to step in in draw weight?

- I really like the aesthetics of a Longbow over a recurve or any takedown model, but that doesn't mean I am against the latter. What would be a good bow recommendation?

That's a good start for now. Thank you for any advice given.

Are you shooting a compound 63#? If so I would go with a bow in the 50-55# range. That is plenty of bow to get the job done. I shoot a 47 # Selfbow that makes it happen for me. Congrats on the trad plunge. Arvin

Comment

I asked the same question here about 5 years ago when I committed to making the switch to traditional. I got great advice, followed it to the letter and it has worked out well for me. My top 3:

1) Accept the fact that this is going to take some time and patience - the learning curve is steep at first. Developing a repeatable draw, anchor and release takes a lot of repetition This is a great part of the year to get started - if you put the time in there is no reason you won't be proficient enough to hunt at shorter distances by next season.

2) The bow you start learning with will most likely not be the bow you eventually hunt with. Start with an inexpensive bow in the 40# range as you work on form. Being overbowed while learning proper form is a recipe for unbreakable bad habits.

3) Very important! -- find some experienced traditional guys/gals to shoot with. This is especially essential when you get to arrow selection/tuning. I have never interacted with a trad shooter who wasn't very willing to help. Get a few lessons if possible.

I started with a 40# Samick Sage and shot it almost daily for about 9 months. I then bought a 50# longbow and it took several more months of shooting that before I felt confident enough to hunt with it. Some guys just like a heavier draw weight but 50# is plenty (zillions of Bisch LDP's is evidence enough of that!) My heaviest trad bow is a 55# recurve and it will kill any animal I will ever have a chance to hunt (if I do my part)
      Last edited by jerp; 11-17-2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I would not start into trad with any bow over 50# at your draw length. Learning proper form is the most important thing to ever getting proficient with a trad bow. Your draw length with a trad now will more than likely be a bit shorter than it was with your compound. Go to an archery shop and have your draw length measured before you buy a bow!

Good luck in your new adventure.

Bisch

Comment

I pretty much agree with the points jerp made. A 40# range bow would be the best way to start, that will allow you to more easily develop proper form and habits. After you gain some proficiency with the light bow, attend some trad shoots and shoot as many different bows as you can. Most trad archers I know are more than happy to let you shoot their bows.

Most of my bows are in the 55-57# range, but I'm in the process of breaking in a 49# longbow that is going to be my primary hunting bow.

P.S. Welcome to the fun side.

Comment

if your interested i have a sarrells blackhills 60" 40@28 longbow i'd like to sell. Send me a Pm if your interested in more info.

congratulations on crossing over to the dark side-your about to put the fun back into archery.

Comment

if your interested i have a sarrells blackhills 60" 40@28 longbow i'd like to sell. Send me a Pm if your interested in more info.

congratulations on crossing over to the dark side-your about to put the fun back into archery.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post

That is a sweet bow right there...

Comment

Wow, a bunch of excellent responses in just a short amount of time! I'm in between errands right now so I have to keep it short, but I'll respond more later this evening. Thanks a hunch everyone. And PM sent boomer453.

Comment

I am new to traditional as well but having a blast with it. My draw length is slightly over 29 on my trad bows but 28 on my compound. The trad bow weight is usually based on 28 inch draw. You may be close to 30 on a trad bow which will increase the draw weight. I started with a 45 pd Sage but don't really feel much difference between that and the 53 pd longbow and recurve. Getting arrows tuned is the hardest part. The shooting is not that tough once you find a consistent anchor point. Good luck.

Comment

The general feeling is that 40 lbs at your draw length is the minimum weight for hunting. Of course you can kill with less with a sharp head, a heavy arrow, in the right spot. So, if you get a starter bow in the low forties to learn with, nothing says you can't hunt and kill with it. That being said, most of us that have been doing this for a while, have several bows.

It is my opinion, others who are very good and sucessful differ, that a recurve is somewhat easier to shoot with. If you search you can find many threads on the differences and preferances. It's a personal choice, undenyably both deadly in the hands of someone profecient.

Read the sticky threads above if you have not.

Welcome, and good luck.

Comment

Started Trad shooting a little over a month ago. The couple of weeks it would have been easy to just chuck it in and write it off to a good experience. I couldn't hit the barn much less the door.
                        I have kept at it and slowly it is beginning to come around, and I have actually been able to back off more than a few yards and still hit the target. I haven't been able to conect with any local Trad shooters and there isn't a good shop any where near here. So, YouTube can be your best friend (next to 3 Rivers Archery).
                        Buy a bunch of arrows and shoot away!

Comment

If you have only shot compounds with sights and release and never shot traditional bows before traditional archery will be a whole new experience. It will require persistence with a capital P, repetition, and constant practice. Lots of good advise here so far, though I have never heard of anyone's draw length becoming longer when switching from compound to traditional. It is usually the opposite. I'll probably get some raised eyebrows and I am not down playing shooting compounds as we are all archers but truth is it ain't as easy. Shot compounds for awhile when they first came out but I did it with no sights and fingers, just like I shot traditional even canting. Only difference for me was the let off and back then it was only 30%. I would suggest you find someone you can get with on a regular basis who knows and shoots traditional archery that will be able to give you knowledgeable hands on assistance.
                          Last edited by Straitshot; 11-19-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I have to agree with Straitshot, if coming over from a compound the average archer will lose (rather than gain) draw length with a longbow or recurve, typically an inch or two. If the trad bow is a straight grip heel down design like a Howard Hill longbow it'll likely be closer to two inches, if it's a typical recurve or some of the hybrid longbows with a strong locator grip it'll likely be closer to one inch. So as a ballpark estimate you might expect your draw to be in the 27" to 28" range or so with a trad bow.

Based on your description, a longbow or recurve of around 45#@28" would be a good choice as an all-around starter bow...that is, light enough to learn good form with yet heavy enough for typical hunting of deer-sized game. If you don't plan to hunt the latter (i.e., if interested mostly in targets or small game) then bows in the 35# to 40# range would be a good choice.

At the risk of ruffling some feathers, your draw length might depend to some degree on the type of shooting you prefer. Despite many basic similarities there are also key differences between optimal target form and optimal hunting form (EX. The ability to pinpoint each shot in competitive venues vs. the ability to shoot quickly and from varied positions/angles for hunting). Each approach has it's own advantages and disadvantages. You may want to consider what you're priority preferences are and speak with/observe folks experienced in each discipline before choosing a bow, form style or aiming style.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy the 'simple stick and string'.

Comment

My advice is to take it slow, don't try and buy a bow that's to heavy just to save money, be patient, read a ton, go to 3d shoots and shoot with other trad guys, be open to listening and learning, dont get discouraged, ask a lot of questions, watch how others shoot......

It took me 18 months to kill my first animal, I missed 3 before I connected.

I shot a 100+ arrows everyday and was totally obsessed the first 18 months about everything, I was a sponge.

Practice Practice Practice, but only practice when you aren't tired so that you don't mess up your form and begin bad habits.

When in doubt listen to Bisch and then do the opposite. (Just Kidding)

Welcome to the Cool Club!!

Comment

Working...
                              X