Paper Tune Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Tune Help Needed

I am having a heck of a time paper tuning my new bear super grizzly. I have the left to right dialed in perfectly. But for the life of me I cannot get rid of a high nock tear.

The tear is about 1 inch high. I have tried everything from moving the knocking point to adjusting how the feathers hit the shelf and adjusting brace height. Is there anything else that I am not thinking of? Thank you for any response.

Randy

Bear Super Grizzly. 50 @ 28. 3555 carbon shafts. 5 1/2 high back shield cut. Dynaflight string. Shooting off the shelf.

Comment

Shooting three-under?

Comment

Split finger.

Comment

Do you cant the bow, or do you shoot it vertical?

What distance to the paper?

Rick

Comment

Do arrows porpoise at twenty yards and under ? It could be string knock to low. Arvin

Comment

Normal circumstances I cant but holding vertical to tune. Shooting from about 5 feet away from the paper.

Haven't shot it past about 12 yards so far. Appear to fly great but hard to tell really.

Comment

Its possible you are torquing the shaft vertically at anchor causing it to bounce off the shelf. Would be good to see if you have flex in the shaft at anchor.

Comment

How high and low did you set your nocking point?

Comment

Swamp - you might be on to something. I have no clue if my form is good or not. Nocking point .5" above.

Comment

Shoot a couple of fletched shafts, and a couple of bare shafts through the paper, and compare the tear you are getting with them.

Rick

Comment

Will do. Thanks Rick.

Comment

You're welcome Randy.

What that will do is allow us to determine if the problem is a tuning issue, or possibly a contact issue.

If the bare shafts have pretty much the same tear as the fletched shafts, then in all likelihood it is a tuning issue.

If the bare shafts have a significantly better tear, then it is highly likely you have a fletching contact issue, and we can then move from there to correct it.

Before we get to deep into it however, I recommend you try to tune the bare shafts for a good tear. Then try the fletched shafts to see what happens.

Rick

Comment

Try 2 nock points on your string, one on the bottom of your nock too. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone. While it's not perfect, I'm definitely real close now. Probably only a half inch high now. I'll have more time this weekend to shoot further distances. Ultimately I increased the brace height to 8.5, added a second nock below the arrow, and cut the arrow down a bit. The bare shaft hits exactly like the fletched arrow too. And I think Swamp was right about the torque. When I focus on my form I notice a much better hole. All in all I think I'm 'close enough for government work' now.

Thanks again for all the help.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X