Rattlers that don’t rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattlers that don’t rattle?

Has anyone experienced coming across a Rattler that is ****** but doesn’t rattle? Had one strike at a buddy and me while walking to a feeder. He never rattled or gave any indication he was there prior to the strike attempt. I did confirm it was a rattle snake (killed it.) Not the first time my buddy came across this. He thinks it’s due to hogs hearing it and coming in for a snack. I myself, have never seen this.

Been a bunch of threads about this..

It is becoming a general concensus that is what is happening.

Glad you all didn't get hit..

Comment

Yes, there was an email going around a while back talking about that. Pretty scary.

Comment

Apologize if there are other threads containing the same topic... I came home to the computer amped up after having such a close call. I will have to give a look around.

Comment

I have had the same happen to me. When I asked a game warden about it, he said it was the snakes way of adapting to predators attacking when they hear the rattle.

Comment

They say they have evolved not to rattle for a defense mechanism against people and hogs. The best defense for them is not to be heard at all. Pretty amazing because it has only really been documented for a few years.
            Last edited by Christianhuff; 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Close call partner! Glad u all okay

Comment

Killed two last week. One with a chair and one with a mesquite limb, neither rattled.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason19 View Post
                  He thinks it’s due to hogs hearing it and coming in for a snack. I myself, have never seen this.
                  They almost never rattle at the ranch anymore. LOL, I need to get me a pet hog.

Tbar

Comment

We have killed several in Irion county, that haven't buzzed. We don't have any hogs on our place. I just figure some snakes get riled up easier than others.

Comment

Documented huh? Somebody makes up a stupid e-mail and it's documented? I guess people will believe anything. So let's say you have a rattlesnake that rattled as a hog was passing by. The hog eats the rattlesnake. Who told the other rattlesnakes not to rattle?

Comment

Killed one at the lease in Brady that did not rattle.

Ain't able to anymore!

Comment

I seen a thing on discovery channel one day about it. They say all the ones that do rattle end up getting killed and the ones that don't are the ones left to breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickory Nut View Post
                            I just figure some snakes get riled up easier than others.
                            We have a winner!

Comment

We've had quite a bit of experience with them in the southern panhandle. The diamond backs still typically rattle. But if we happen upon a prairie rattler they rarely rattle. No scientific data, just our experiences for what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X