Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene
Default What’s the best lease that you’ve been to

Let start a thread that talks about the best lease that you’ve been to.
Yearly lease fee
Cabin
Acreage
Number of hunters
Ponds/lakes
Class of deer

I know some of y’all have some story’s that make us jealous but should be fun to read about
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Atoka County OK

Started $800/ea - Ended @ $1100/ea
Travel Trailers
510 acres
5 hunters
3 ponds
144 score of largest buck killed (not me)
18 miles south of Goldthwaite in Mills Co.
Fun lease with great friends. Had very strong width genetics. Arrowed my first buck on that place. Had a super sweet lady owner, when she passed and it became her daughter’s & her ***hole husband’s, it was the beginning of the end.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

7000 acres along the red river north of Clarksville. House with mld permits. Duck sloughs. Wheat fields. $3/acre. Super fun place.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

3900 ac in Kansas under one fence
6 bowhunters @ $20,000 per year
House, barns, etc
Every year we had 180-200 class deer shot or seen
Thought it was going to be a forever place but a rich guy from north Kansas started buying ranches in the area and ours was sold, hunting was over
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I liked the place outside of Junction about maybe 10yrs ago? Memory is fading, thinking $2k 1100ac. Liked the Victoria lease I was on for about 6yrs, but did get tired of mud, humidity and mosquitoes. Lease manager was ( is ) a great guy, as good as they come. My favorite overall is probably the one I'm on now. Between Menard/Junction. Only real issue is I rarely get to go, haven't even been turkey hunting this year.... Good group of guys, good property.

Only place I didn't really like was near Harper.

Can't complain at all, overall have had good experiences with the properties and people.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

The one we are on now! No particulars but it is dirt cheap with 2 great friends and family and the land owners are great and neighbors are not the shoot if you see brown type.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Had one in Lampasas County. Family lease. We had campers , water, and electricity. 500 acres with many turkey, hogs, exotics, doves, and many days with our family. Cooking, 4 wheeling with the grandkids, finding sheds, and just relaxing. It was a great lease until it sold.lll
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
gfulton
Ten Point

Buckle L ranch 10 miles south of Childress 36,000 acres. We had a 6000 ac. pasture, $2200 and plenty of big deer. My best was 188 6/8", low fence. Ranch sold in 2005.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #9
coach2
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

800 ac. 5 guns. All of us had our own cabin. Common shower and toliet and cooking area. Largeat buck 172 east texas
coach2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #10
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

35000 acres north of Van Horn. We had it for the entire mule deer season for 30+ years. Started out at $550 per gun in about 1980 and was $2500 when I left in 2010.
SabreKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #11
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

I wouldn’t say it was an awesome quality deer lease, but we hunted outside of Rio Grande city for a few years and was only $425/year.

Lots of pigs, every once in a while some big old bucks would step out, and place had a house with electricity.

Only downside was the owners were moving some not so legal stuff lol (guess that’s why the lease fee was so cheap)
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Been to a couple of nice places. Only stand out place was Argentina dove hunting and lodging. I enjoy our place 600 acres 4 blinds, good number of deer, house is up on a hill(I think that this is the key to enjoying a ranch), no rules really, everybody pitches in to help. All hunt splitting all costs.

Been to a couple of big ranches 3000+, so any of you all get frustrated with the time frame it takes to get to the stands. I enjoy a smaller plot where in 5 -7 minutes I’m at the stand. Riding a bumpy road for 30 minutes would be frustrating.

I think my key is
Hunting with good group of friends
Good lodging- with elevated view
Ample animals (don’t have to be book makers)
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #13
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

800 acres next door in Colorado County. $200 a bow. All my buddies and some nice bucks, pigs, and turkeys. Guy from Houston owned the place. Never came down.
buzzbait is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #14
Farmdog
Pope & Young

Alexanders ranch on highway 2 Coahuila Mexico early 80’s, he removed guns from cowboys possession and they grew naturally without feed. I was a youngster and not in charge but I think we paid 7k for the whole ranch. It would be fun to go back but it would be pricey for sure
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #15
Hockley
Ten Point

32 acres for $150 per year from 1986 to about 2000, then we voluntarily paid an extra $150 to make it $300 per year. Killed multiple 140’s up to 157. Bought it in 2017 so really paying for it now!
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
Alderrg
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano / Trinity Bay

Ive only been on small ranches with just myself and family and close friends, so i dont really know what i big nice fancy lease feels like lol!

my last lease in junction was pretty sweet. 100 acres, elec, water. split it with a guy from work for 750/each. Had some really nice bucks on that place.

Current lease of 10 years has been my favorite. 100 acres in LLano. Pay the land owner 2k per year since the first year. Its pretty much mine year round. My kids have grown up hunting this place. Memories made that will last forever. Nothing shot over 130", but plenty of deer around
Alderrg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #17
HOOKNBULLET2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Blanco

Best was 17,000 acres on the Devils river. Was a guest on it 20 years ago.

The fishing on the river was as good as the hunting.

2nd best was 4000 acres in northern Bexar county with 1000 acres of oat fields.

Last edited by HOOKNBULLET2; 04-28-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
HOOKNBULLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 05:49 AM   #18
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley View Post
32 acres for $150 per year from 1986 to about 2000, then we voluntarily paid an extra $150 to make it $300 per year. Killed multiple 140’s up to 157. Bought it in 2017 so really paying for it now!
That my friend is called living the dream. Awesome property!
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #19
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

42 acres near Groveton next to Davey Crockett National Forest. Leased it for three years and even had a camp on it. My boys and I loved that place. Killed lots of good deer on it.

Found out the last year I hunted it the old man I was leasing it from didn't really even own the place. Never would have known that if he had not died at the ripe old age of 92. I went to his double wide to renew my lease and his family told me he had passed. And, they had no clue what I was talking about when it came to leasing some family land he owned.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #20
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

400ac Coleman county, it had pigs,deer,Turkey,pheasant,quail,doves,rabbits, big pond fish,
varmints, bordered by a high fence, a landowner who said hunt whatever, whenever you want, just don’t ever hurt my cows, and you can stay as long as you want, I won’t come onto property if I see a vehicle here at camp, and YES I’ll take a post dated check!
I had to leave, funds low, got back on for 2 seasons and everything around it built up, and zero wildlife, never been back, sad

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 04-29-2021 at 06:41 AM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #21
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Current lease. Been there 21 years. A family lease. 500 acres in McCulloch county. It started with 4 hunters. Went to just 3 of us 10 years ago. Now it's just 2 since my Dad passed 2 years ago.
Some great hunting and some even better memories.. There won't be a dry eye the day we lose it... It's coming I'm afraid.
We pay a lot(to much)be its worth not having to put up with the many hassles that come with a big place.. Been there done that.. Never again.. I'm too old for deer lease drama..

But as far as big deer hunting, Old Mexico hands down....

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 04-29-2021 at 07:01 AM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 07:25 AM   #22
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Possum Kingdom BRA land.
Yearly lease fee $75 Archery only
Campers
About 1100 acres
20 hunters
Sandwiched between Possum Kingdom State park and the lake
Class of deer - Didn't worry about it back then, but nothin to really write home about. Fun place.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #23
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

Loco Bayou back in the day on Lake Nacogdoches was my favorite. Camphouse inside a high fence on one side of the highway but I preferred the South Side with the lodge on Lake Nac.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #24
Cberry
Four Point

We had ~4,000 acres down in Atascosa county when I was in junior high through high school. It had everything to offer as far as game, doves, quail, hogs, turkey, good (140-150 class) deer and an overstocked tank. It had a decent bunk house but it was a lease that was fun year around. I think there were about 10 hunters on it when we got off.

Last edited by Cberry; 04-29-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Cberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #25
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

From 1992-2009 we had 7000 acres, low fence, 20 minutes north west of Ozona. 11 hunters, water, electricity, year round. It started off at $650 and went up to $1800 when lost the place. We managed it with a gun, never fed an ounce of protein. Just let the bucks get old, thin the doe population a bit, and shoot the low end bucks. Our top end bucks were 150+

We lost the place when someone offered the ranch more than twice what we were paying. So after 18 years, we were out and they were in. I still occasionally dream about that place, and miss the hell out of it.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top