Lincoln 140 Problems - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln 140 Problems - Need Help

I haven't used my machine in a few years. Tried to fire it up, but it will not feed. It is trying, but the wire seems stuck somewhere between the feeder and the end of the cable. When I pull the trigger, it clicks and I can see the machine trying to spin/turn to pull wire off the spool.

The roll of flux wire in it is old and seems to be a bit corroded. Even if that's my issue, I don't know how to get the wire out that is already in there.

I have taken the tips off the end of the cable, all the way to where I get to a small spring that the wire goes through. The tip end of the wire is not sticking out of that spring, so it is jammed somewhere further back.

I welcome ideas on how to get this fixed so I can get on with my dang project.

You might need a new liner. I had the same problem on my Hobart and it was the liner, I think it was about $30 for a new one

Comment

Liner

Comment

Hey Trey! What Hoyt Man said is most likely your problem. The plastic liners get worn and dirt builds up in them. As well as rust from sitting sometimes. You can pull it out and replace just the liner.

An easy fix to help keep your liner clean is to take a 2"x2" piece of scotch bright. And fold it in half over the wire inside the box before it goes into the lead (after it passes through the rollers) as if it was a "saddle" on the wire. Use a folding, or "pinch" paper clip to hold it in place. But don't pinch your wire with the clip. Let the wire ride through the scotch bright. That will help keep dust and other foreign matter from building up in the liner. And make it last much longer too.

Comment

Likely the liner but cut the wire where it feeds into the cable in the machine. Pull the wire out that way and try feeding new wire. If you wire is corroded, I’d get another 5lb spool and use it opposed to feeding bad wire into it again.

Comment

If you get a kink in a liner (lead gets stepped on or rolled over with something, lead been pulled hard when overlapped causing a very sharp bend in it, somehow gets pinched inside the lead), that can cause problems too.

Comment

What they all said, plus, did you ever say you looked at your feeder rollers while you’re pulling the trigger? May have missed it if you said it. Flux core is NOTORIOUS for wadding up in that area. If you can cut the wire just shy of your feed rollers, open up the hinged top of your roller assy., and you should be able to pull it out bass-ackwards as well. Keep us posted, and good luck. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I have the same machine. Mine did that and it was because the wire was rusted/corroded as others here have suggested could be the issue. Put new wire on it and had no more problems.

Comment

Working...
                X