Odds of still being alive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odds of still being alive?

Cousin wounded a buck that was coming every couple days to my feeder. Last time he was seen was 7 days ago which was two days after being shot. Crossbow with a 125gn magnus stinger at 20 yards. Noone has seen him in person to gauge how he’s moving.

Top set of arrows are entrance wound and bottom set are what we think is the exit. Basically looks like it entered behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the same shoulder.

Good chance of still being alive or good chance he died from the wound or coyotes?
    Attached Files

After seeing the vid of that buck with half his back missing, I would say the odds are good.

Comment

It appears as though it hit rib cage and deflected out in front of the shoulder, so no vitals were hit. I bet he lives

Comment

Was the deer hard quartering away when he shot? Hard to imagine the arrow deflecting that much.
        If hard quartering, I agree no vitals hit and will probably survive barring infection.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
          It appears as though it hit rib cage and deflected out in front of the shoulder, so no vitals were hit. I bet he lives
          X2
          If using mechanical blades...it will deflect

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet he will recover

Comment

I say he recovers

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                Was the deer hard quartering away when he shot? Hard to imagine the arrow deflecting that much.
                If hard quartering, I agree no vitals hit and will probably survive barring infection.
                He said it was quartering away the perfect amount for the shot, but I think it was hard quartering away. Don’t see how a fixed blade crossbow bolt could deflect that much off a rib bone.

Also, the bolt had light pink blood with bubbles but blood trail stopped after 80 yards.

Comment

Were you or him able to see any blood on the opposite side of the deer's body as he ran, indicating a pass through?

Comment

I shot a doe years ago quartering away with the original rage. Hit ribs and bounce off leaving a big gash on the side.
                    Last edited by Paycheck; 10-26-2020, 06:30 AM. Reason: I think he will make it.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      Were you or him able to see any blood on the opposite side of the deer's body as he ran, indicating a pass through?
                      Photos of the other side show zero wounds. We think the arrow exited just in front of the shoulder on the same side as the entrance. It’s the lower set of arrows on the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspyro21 View Post
                        Photos of the other side show zero wounds. We think the arrow exited just in front of the shoulder on the same side as the entrance. It’s the lower set of arrows on the photo.
                        Ahh ok.

Comment

Odds are good he’ll live I’d say. I shot this buck a few years ago, entrance was high on the opposite side, exit wound in the photo. Slick Trick fixed blades. This photo was two weeks after the shot. My dad got the buck with a rifle two months later.

Comment

I bet he was quartered hard and turned towards his offside at the shot

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                              Odds are good he’ll live I’d say. I shot this buck a few years ago, entrance was high on the opposite side, exit wound in the photo. Slick Trick fixed blades. This photo was two weeks after the shot. My dad got the buck with a rifle two months later.

Did the buck show infection at the wounds after your dad killed it?
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X