Electric wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric wells

Recently doing away with one of the windmills on our place. Tired of having to replace leathers & checks.
    I have 2 electric submersible pumps that I have installed else where on our ranch that have pressure tanks and the whole 9 yards.
    My question is on this new one I am installing do I need a pressure tank? I know it will work without one, but flipping the breaker on & off will make the pump go out quicker. Could I just use a float on the tank and keep the pump on or use a cycle stop valve or something like that?

I also have a solar pump well that went out. Do any of y’all that have one or have experience with one have any recommendations on a certain brand?
    I’ve used sunrotor & sun pump.. just wondering if there was something better.

The breaker is no different from a pressure switch. The both cut the juice to the pump. Why would the breaker make the pump go out any sooner?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      The breaker is no different from a pressure switch. The both cut the juice to the pump. Why would the breaker make the pump go out any sooner?
      I thought it would burn it up faster if you constantly flipped the breaker on and off. But now you mention that about the pressure switch that makes sense.
      So if I ran it direct and left the breaker on will a float inside the holding tank cut the pump off? Or would I still need to install a pressure tank/switch or a cycle stop valve?
      My other wells have the pressure tanks because it feeds water to our barn area so I’m not sure how or if I need all that for going to a tank for livestock. Sorry for the confusion.
      Last edited by Laner7; 10-22-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Don't see why a float switch wouldn't work.

Comment

The purpose of the pressure tank is to keep the pump from short cycling - turning on every time a spigot is opened and off when a spigot is closed. Short cycling will decrease the pump motor life. If you are pumping into an open tank the float switch will serve the same purpose as the pressure tank.

Comment

The goal is to not have the pump coming on and off too often.

Comment

If you just want the pump to run "when you want it to run", you can put it on a timer. I set up two wells in Colorado that way. The pump would fill a water trough. Any over flow went through a pipe down hill to a low spot for an elk wallow. Worked great.

Comment

So something like this? It has a pressure switch already installed.
                Attached Files

Comment

My experience with electrical driven equipment is that the greatest amount of wear and tear will be on the contact points of the starter. In this case, it will be the pressure switch. I would not do anything out of the ordinary. A pressure switch r&r is about a fifteen minute job. Make sure to use a properly sized capacitor pump controller as well. I think that you will find that almost all of your repairs will be in the control system and not the pump itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post

This should do just fine.

Comment

I sell solar powered well kits. For the reason being discussed here, that is why mine feature soft start and stop.... basically slowly spinning up and down as to not prematurely wear the pump, and eliminating the need for torque arrestors.

If anyone is interested feel free to contact me 325-305-6064. My kits are 750$.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                        That should do it. Remember to protect it and the wiring from the livestock.

Comment

I would rig up one of these. A lot cheaper option than the rigged up float switch you were looking at.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Fl...oduct-overview

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post
                            I would rig up one of these. A lot cheaper option than the rigged up float switch you were looking at.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Fl...oduct-overview
                            I looked at that, but I don’t understand how that would cut the pump off? I guess I could wire it into the control box? But where does the wire from the power source (breaker) tie into if there is no pressure switch?

The one I posted just makes sense in my head, because I have that switch to tie it all into. I know I’m over thinking. Just don’t want that well to run continuously.

Comment

Look at the wire diagram under assembly/instructions link. If pump
                              Doesn’t have a wire box just get a waterproof electrical box. Common gets wired together and hot to switch. Then switch to pump. Pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X