White Oak Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Oak Creek WMA

Well I went up there, hunted Wednesday through Friday morning. It's a nice looking place, not a easy place to hunt, if you have never been there before or never hunted anything like that area before.

I kind of cheated, since I only had two and a half days to hunt, I wanted to be on the stand as much as possible. I took off down a trail not knowing anything about the place. Then followed one trail, obviously made by a local and went all the way to the end of that trail. That's where I started hunting. If a local thinks that's a good place to hunt, I should give it a try. Instead of spending my two and a half days scouting, trying to learn the area, then not have any time to sit on the stand.

Where I set up initially, was a great place to sit and watch woodpeckers all day. I don't know how many different types of woodpeckers there are in that area of the state, but I saw every different type there is in the area, that first day. I was sitting on the edge of a small rise, overlooking some bottom land. The high ground has younger trees, the bottom land has older trees. The bottom land, the trees are spread farther apart. When walking around in the bottom, I discovered there were lots of rooting or digging going on in the oak leaves. I was not sure if it was done by hogs or deer, but you can see something had been all over the area trying to get at something below the leaves.

The second morning I started the morning off, by dropping a live round from the stand into the oak leaves below. Later that morning I got down, started digging through the leaves looking for that round. I discovered that there are a lot of good acorns under the leaves. I started looking around and figured out that the whole area, the ground was covered with acorns, with leaves on top of the acorns. So there is no shortage of food, it's everywhere in large amounts. So the deer and pigs don't have to move very far to find food.

That first day sitting on the stand, I noticed a tree that a buck had torn up pretty good, farther up hill, behind where my stand was set up. I could see it without my binoculars, I spotted it without my binoculars. It was about 50 yards behind my stand. It really stood out.

So after the Thursday morning hunt, I got out of the stand to look around and to find another place to set up the stand. I have long ago figured out, when I am seeing a lot of birds from a stand, that's all i am going to see is birds, that's all I saw that first day. So I took a walk around the bottom area, found some interesting trees, nothing that looked promising for killing a deer. So I went back to the stand and then up on the higher ground behind the stand, where I saw that rub. That area, looked much more like it had potential. So I started looking around, then found another good rub, then another and another and another. So I decided that's where I would move my stand to. So I got the stand down, moved it and set it up farther up on the higher ground. Once I got it set up, and I was putting the seat on the stand, I saw there was something large and silver up in woods behind where I set up the stand. Behind where I set the stand up, there is a bunch of what looks like bamboo. I asked about the stuff and was told it's switch cane. Behind where I set the stand up, that stuff is thick. Then you can see a trail in the leaves running along the edge of the switch cane. Up in that switch cane, I could see something large and silver. Right off, I started worrying someone had a weed farm hidden back up in there. I was thinking if they did, that's really going to mess up my hunting. I got down, went in there to see what it was. Turns out it was what's left of a tin roof of some old shack or shed. That small building was in the middle of a small clearing in the middle of that switch cane. In that clearing, all of the small trees were torn up, most likely by the same buck. So I was really liking what I was seeing. I got back on the stand, sat there from about 11:00 that morning till dark. I saw a quite a few squirrels, a possum in the middle of the day out for a stroll and a small bobcat. No deer.

So I got up earlier Friday morning, got out there to the end of the trail, then got off and walked right to the line of switch cane in the dark, but got there way too fast. I was sure, I had walked the wrong direction. So I backed out and turned right and then wound up getting lost. Then realized I did not have any idea where I was and decided to walk short distances in a few different directions hoping to find something that I recognized, but nothing looks the same in the dark So I just hung out waiting for the sun to come up, but, turns out, it was overcast and foggy that morning. So I was not able to see the sun till maybe 8:30. So once I realized I was not going to be able to see the sun for a while, I took off walking again, then found some trees I recognized from my walk late Thursday morning. So I knew where I was and took off back to the four wheeler, found it, then went to my stand from there. I was in the stand by 7:30. So much for getting up early. I sat in the stand till about 8:45, then decided I should get down and walk the area. I wanted to walk the area farther back behind my stand, I was told there was a slough back there, then I also wanted to walk to the river and see it. Also I had heard some noises Wednesday afternoon, that I am sure had to be at least two people talking and I am sure I heard some metal banging together. At the time, I concluded, it had to be a couple guys in a boat or in kayaks going down the river, not sure what the metal banging noise was. So I wanted to know how far I was from the river. To try and determine if the guys I heard behind me, were on the river or if they were walking in my compartment. I don't know, I am going to assume they were going down the river. Turns out the river was a ways farther away from my stand, that I was guessing. I did walk to the river on my walk Friday morning.

On my walk Friday morning, I found the slough, turns out it has water in it, in some areas, mud holes in other areas. I found lots of hog sign and deer sign there. Lots more rubs on trees. I know where I will hunt, if I ever get to go back. I did see a group of does in the low area, near the slough, then later I saw one deer by it's self on the side of a hill. It looked like a doe, but I would assume it was a spike and I just could not see it's antlers. At that point, I had hiked for many miles and was not sure where I was. I was not going to shoot anything at that point, unless it was a good sized pig or a nice buck. My trip down to the slough, resulted in me getting lost, then I eventually found the river. So I turned around and went the other direction, eventually found another trail and followed it back out to the north east fence line. I then followed the fence line all the way back to my truck. Then once back at the truck I walked the two miles down the trail, back to where the four wheeler was, got it, then went and got the stand down and got out of there.

There are deer in that place, there are some pretty large bucks, judging from the rubs I found. But they are not easy to hunt by any means. There are definitely some pigs out there. If you are not familiar with the area, or like me, not familiar with that type of woods, vegetation, much less that particular place. It's going take the whole two and half days of the hunt, to figure out where and how to hunt. If they did a five or six day hunt, your odds of getting something would go up quite a bit.

I would say the earlier of the two drawn hunts would be the one to try and get on. The rut should still be going on, during that hunt. It was definitely not, going on, while I was there.

There is a over abundance of food, so you don't have starving deer, so baiting, if it were legal, would probably be a waist of time and money. There is a lot of cover. I am guessing from all of the well used trails through the recently fallen leaves and all of the digging and rooting around in the leaves, that the deer probably move a lot more at night. The two locations I set up my stand, I could see multiple obvious trails through the freshly fallen leaves, but no deer using those trails while I was hunting.

If you hunt there often, I would bet you will kill you limit every year, but just showing up there one time in your life and having two and a half days, to hunt, you are most likely not going home with a monster buck. But I think there are some pretty good bucks out there, but I never actually saw them, just saw their art work on some trees.

Pretty much the same with all the public hunts in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
      Pretty much the same with all the public hunts in Texas.
      Yes, in most places you need scouting time. Down in the south Texas brush not quite as much, at least in some places at times. But then I grew up down there hunted those areas for many years, I can find deer in south Texas brush fast, maybe not a monster, but I can find the deer pretty quickly. But then yes, those are not public hunting lands, either. I have found it takes time to figure out the sand and live oaks along the coast, in places such as The Aransas Wildlife Refuge, but then I have hunted two private ranches in the sand and live oaks farther down the coast, one in Encino and the other outside of Falfurrias. Both of those places were hard to hunt. The hill country is usually not that hard to find deer in, probably public hunting land is harder, never hunted any of that. Places like Amistad are a whole different deal, figuring out where and how to hunt that place took some time. Hunting in the panhandle, at Lake Meredith, took a little time to figure out. Definitely gotten better with each of my three trips up there. That place is harder to hunt than you would think, but not extremely hard to hunt by any means. But east Texas woods are a whole different thing to me. But I think I got that one little area where I was at, figured out well enough, if I had another two days, I could have gotten something.

Comment

This is the first location I sat, for most of the first day and the next morning. Out in front of the stand, was a low area, with some older trees and the trees and it's more open. Back up behind where I had the stand, there is a small rise or hill, that has a bunch of much more dense younger trees.

Then the first sign, I found of a buck in the area. Then the four wheeler loaded up and ready to go set up the stand.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-06-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

These rubs are all within view of where I set up the stand the second time. They are all within probably 50 ft. of each other. There are both old rubs from previous years and some from this year also. Back up in that switch cane, there were quite a few more, I did not take my phone up in there, when I went to see what was up in the switch cane.

Judging by all of the activity, a buck did not just move into the area, he has been in the area for years.

Comment

This is my view from the second place I set the stand up. All of those rubs were to my south, the wind was coming out of the south, most of the time, but at times it would switch and come from the north.

Behind me I had a bunch of the switch cane I was talking about. The tree I was in is a pin oak, there were multiple other pin oaks around me, that were still dropping acorns. The white oaks seem to have dropped all of their acorns and leaves a while back.

Comment

Nice write up. Sounds like you could really benefit from OnX Maps. I got turned around the first AM I hunted some public this year. Looked at my map saw I got turned around and then back off in the direction I needed. After using OnX all season, I highly recommend it. Or at least some type of map service that can drop labeled waypoints and lay down a trail for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                Nice write up. Sounds like you could really benefit from OnX Maps. I got turned around the first AM I hunted some public this year. Looked at my map saw I got turned around and then back off in the direction I needed. After using OnX all season, I highly recommend it. Or at least some type of map service that can drop labeled waypoints and lay down a trail for you.
                Once, I got back to the county road, I then had cell service again. Then I got on Google maps, brought up WOC. Then it showed where I was. Once I have Google maps up, as long as I don't close it out, even if I don't have cell service, it will show me where I am. I did not think to do that, before I went out there, was not the plan to get lost. I kept it connected to Google maps, made it back to my stand, then did a screen shot of the spot where I had the stand set up. So when I got home, I could figure out exactly where I was, comparing where the spot on the map was compared to the map I have of the compartment, I was in. I also compared it to the topographical map I have of the area. I then also drew in four wheeler trails I found as best I could remember. But if I would have had a app, that would record my movement, so I could have marked the four wheeler trails exactly. I think there is a better way to get where I was at. I would not mind going back and giving it another shot, maybe three to five days up there. I think I would be able to bring home a pig or two and possibly a nice buck, if they are not completely nocturnal there.

I will look into the OnX Maps, if it will stay connected even when I don't have cell service, that could be useful.
                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-24-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

You can download the map in on x so you can still view it without cell service. I drop a pin of the truck and the spot I want to hunt. Also works well for blood trails.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    You can download the map in on x so you can still view it without cell service. I drop a pin of the truck and the spot I want to hunt. Also works well for blood trails.
                    Ok, I will definitely download it, thanks.

Comment

Was this a draw hunt?( I didn’t read the whole post) I didn’t realize yuu could use ATVs . Are there special permits required?

Comment

Usually, ATVs are limited to draw hunts where they are normally restricted.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                          Was this a draw hunt?( I didn’t read the whole post) I didn’t realize yuu could use ATVs . Are there special permits required?
                          ATV's can only be used on drawn hunts unless you are disabled and get a permit from the wma. I believe the OP mentioned it being a drawn hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by duckmanep; 01-22-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                            ATV's can only be used on drawn hunts unless you are disabled and get a permit from the wma. I believe the OP mentioned it being a drawn hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                            Thx! I may have to look into applying for the draw hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post

Thx! I may have to look into applying for the draw hunt.
                              Yes, it was a drawn hunt. There is a lot of ground to cover, if not on a ATV, it would be a lot of hiking. I hear it gets very muddy out there when it rains. Add some fairly steep hills, mud and lots of ground to cover. I was only in one compartment. I think it was something like 1400 to 1800 ac.

Comment

Working...
                              X