No announcement yet.

Need a Hog Backstrap Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Meateater's recipe. I pretty much just wing the seasonings, but this is a pretty good one. I also usually marinate the roast overnight, and I use and instant pot and finish in the oven.

Hog Carnitas:
    3 pounds of hog roast
    1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
    3/4 tsp. cumin
    2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. ancho chili powder
    Pinch of black pepper
    Pinch of dried ground cloves
    1/2 yellow onion
    4 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 lime
    1/2 orange
    1 jalapeño
    2 cups unsalted venison, beef or chicken stock
    Cooking oil, lard or duck fat

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
      Pounded thin and pan fried in Bread crumbs is as good as it gets. Substitute pork backstrap cutlets for the turkey in the MeatEater turkey schnitzel recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This (x) 10

Comment

I shot a hog last night and instantly thought of this thread from seeing it yesterday. I spine shot the big sow but I was able to get about half of the backstrap out that wasn't damaged. Now all I have to do is pick one of these delicious recipes from here.

Comment

Just wrap it in bacon and you are good to go. Lol

Comment

Make carnitas
            Cut into large 2" cubes and fry in lard throw salt and salsa on it slap it on a tortilla

Comment

I grill mine. Cut into slices. Marinate it in a zip lock bag... with soy sauce, 1 tbsp of minced garlic, and my favorite Weber Kick N Chicken seasoning.... or your favorite. Mix all of the seasonings together in the bag. Covering the meat. Let it marinate for 1-2 hours. Flipping occasionally. Then, I throw it on the grill. I like to sear each side first, and then turn down, and cook until done. My wife loves it, and I have family and friends over who loved it as well.

Comment

Many good ideas hear. I'm going to try a few. Especially the stir fry.

Consider this: Butterfly and stuff with your choice. I like dirty rice or cajun rice. Some like jalapenos and cream cheese. Cover outside with your choice of rub or fresh ground peppercorn to taste. Wrap 100% with thin bacon and refrigerate for a couple days or freeze until whenever.

Cook in oven at 350* or on grill until internal temp is 160*. Then wrap and let sit 15-20 min. Slice and serve.

Comment

Marinade in Zesty Italian Dressing and grill.
                  Doesn't overpower with flavor, but gives it moisture.
                  Simple choice for dinner after work. Add veggies on the side or grill pineapple rings.
                  Last edited by eagles405; 11-14-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

These recipes are great i just do back strap pan fried with Limon pepper.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot a big sow last week and cooked half of the backstrap yesterday. Its the bottom piece of meat in the pic. I coated it in meat church honey hog and smoked it for a couple hours. After it was smoked I put it in foil with a stick of butter. I fed it to the guys at work this morning and they were amazed at how good it tasted.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hard to beat , it's a favorite in our house.

Comment

You dont have to have a smoker to smoke meat as long as you have a grill you can put wood chips in. If you have a propane grill you can get a small tin foil disposable tray from the grocery store and put it over a burner. Place some hickory wood pellets or chips and get on amazon and get you a bag of jack daniels wood barrel chips.

Pour the pellets in the pan to line the bottom and the toss the JD chips on top of the pellets. Once the pellets and chips are all burnt and black then change them out with a new batch.

Sprinkle some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides and a tad bit of garlic powder. Let it sit wrapped in foil over night in the fridge.

get your grill going at a steady 215-225 degrees and place the tenderloins on the rack. once your internal temp is at 175 place the loins in some foil and pour some jack daniels green apple in with it. wrap it closed and place it back on the grill for another 30-45 mins. Pull off and let it sit on the stove for another 30 mins.

Cut and serve.

Comment

Yal got me hongry now....

Comment

I use a band saw and make saddle chops. Basically what would be 2 bone in pork chops fused together since I don’t split the carcass down the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X