Should i let him go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Too many variables. HF?, LF?, if LF good niegbors? how much property do you have control of? feed?and how much? how much rain did you get this year? buck to doe ratio? water availability?management plan? if so for how long? What's your end goal?

I ask questions first before shooting, most shoot then ask questions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

3/4 HF with no one hunting the outside of the LF, 7200 acres Kinney county with 14 hunters, we’re very very dry, buck to doe is probably close to 1:1 possibly little more bucks but I haven’t seen anything real old but one 8. Water is somewhat close but I’m putting in water this year. We’re allowed any 8 over 4yr and any 10 over 5. I’d like to have consistent mid 140’s and occasional bigger deer. My first year on the place and I’m pleased so far with numbers. Everyone is feeding protein and cottonseed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
      3/4 HF with no one hunting the outside of the LF, 7200 acres Kinney county with 14 hunters, we’re very very dry, buck to doe is probably close to 1:1 possibly little more bucks but I haven’t seen anything real old but one 8. Water is somewhat close but I’m putting in water this year. We’re allowed any 8 over 4yr and any 10 over 5. I’d like to have consistent mid 140’s and occasional bigger deer. My first year on the place and I’m pleased so far with numbers. Everyone is feeding protein and cottonseed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sounds like you have a great place!

I'll preface by saying ultimately it's your decision, your place.

I'm a pretty big opponent of so called "culling" LF deer. I've seen too many studies and have had too many personal hand on personal experiences that have proven for me it doesn't work. ( culling in my opinion only works in a controlled environment, aka HF or a very large LF ranch in which you'll have control of many generations )

Heck it took us years to turn the corner on our HF place and it's still a constant battle. There are many on here who say it works, and more power to them! We have friendly banters and it's enjoyable for the most part

As far as this particular deer, seeing how you've given him ample nutrition and he's in a somewhat closed environment with water availability I'd compare him strongly to his equal age class. If he's at the bottom, and you're kinda done with feeding him, kill him.

My only word of caution is you never really know what they are until they're 5 in my opinion. Again just my opinion.

I know of one particular deer that had no brows until 3, and even then, they were only 1 inch. That particular deer at 7 was killed a typical 12 netting over 170.

Good luck on your decision, and happy hunting!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Good idea to check with the property manager. Can't hurt.

Comment

I like to whack’em if their 5.5 and less than 120.

Comment

Working...
          X