Pandemic PINS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pandemic PINS??

Currently the PINS website is saying that the gates are open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm. Does anybody know if you can fish? At this point I don’t want to assume anything. Just trying to see if anyone has any info or has been down there to see firsthand. Me and my family enjoy going down there but don’t want to go there this weekend if I know we can’t do it.

Fishing is allowed during those times. Keep groups small and stay away from other folks to comply with the new regs.
    Follow Nick Meyer, from Breakaway tackle, on Facebook for daily reports

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes you can fish. Glen and I went last thursday and had a great time. Caught a ice chest full of nice whiting, a few slot reds, couple bonnetheads, and a few small pomps. Hope yall go and have a great time!

Before Glen chimes in I'll just say dont believe anything you read spray painted on beach trash!

Comment

I’m not gonna say a word
        Attached Files

Comment

What happens in PINS stays in PINS...

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            I’m not gonna say a word
            I knew that was coming!

Comment

I appreciate the input. Yes Nick Meyer is great as far as PINS report’s goes. Thanks guys we're going to give it a shot. It’s a much needed break right now

Comment

We caught a few slot reds in the first gut on shrimp. Just fishing for whiting and every once in a while you would get a red.

Comment

Bait shops open?

Comment

Roy's and causeway are

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Billings was open when i wad down a couple weeks ago

Comment

Yep bait shops open. I always just go to an Asian market before I leave and get bait. Lots cheaper. Fresher

Comment

Run to the Port Mansfield North Jetty. Sheepshead, redfish and specks should be arse deep there right now. Sand should be hard packed from the last front and rain. Some of the best fishing I've experienced on PINS was mid April, North Jetty Port Mansfield. I've run it for years - 2000s, when my youngest son was small enough to roll with his Dad regularly.

This time of the year, jetties hold fish big time. The surf zone, they zoom by school to school. With the window of catch opportunity so tight, the waiting game will require incoming high tide on the sand, time to be there as it rolls in, peaks and drops, is your best odds.

Jetties hold fish, all tides. Hence the reason why I mention Jetties.

Considering there should be nearly zero pressure now, at the North Port Mansfield Jetties, it's **** well worth the run down the strand, to put time in to hammer the rocks.

3/4 Ounce Johnson Sprite gold spoon, 20 - 100 yards off the sand - North side in the surf zone. Cast and let it lay on the bottom before retrieve. The numbers are 30 plus slot redfish per 4 hours.

Specks tighter to the rocks, jig red head with New Penny gulp tail 3" Cast angles off the rocks - fan cast - slow bottom retrieve on the return. They stage tight on the rocks.

Sheepshead are spawning - dozens are holding on the rocks - HEB cooked shrimp, rig bottom rig - fish finder style. Cast out 15 yards and reel up tight against the rocks, same zone, off the beach, let it lay on the bottom. Bite is very slight, first nibble feel, reel the slack out and don't pull hard. #4, long shank hook. Just take slack out and raise rod tip up and lift. No jerks at all.

I haven't rolled south because I'm doing my part, to obey the Governors order to lay low. Killing me, but I follow orders and I've been feeling guilty about those dying elsewhere.

So in honor - doing what I need to. Hoping that I get rewarded, if and when I can finally roll.....without all this drama.

April is a wonderful time to fish cut crab for big uglies and bullreds. Many don't realize, these bigger drum fish are running the sand but, they will not eat cut bait. CRAB IS THEIR CRACK. My biggest black drum have been hauled out of the surf in April - CUT CRAB - Galveston back in the 70s. It's hard to find crab but, they both feed on crab in the surf in April - when crab are now coming out of winter hibernation. Mullet and cut bait is not reliable to them - crab is.

Good luck! I'm gonna hammer it soon...haven't fished one bit this entire year. Lost my Mom during the new year beginning and now this. Soon.....it's gonna get sick. Got some time to make up.......and it's gonna get real stupid!

If the tide is out, Port Mansfield jetty area, where the rocks where the sand meets the rocks are exposed, move to the channel side and cast gold spoons. The North jetty has a rock groin that stacks out into the main Port Mansfield main channel. Inside of this rock groin, there's a cove, sandy bottom and 100 yards inside of that, is a rocky shoreline of small boulders. This small boulder area, beyond the rocks. hold trout and redfish like nuts. Gold spoon here.

North Jetty - Port Mansfield channel - inside with rocks exposed. Behind my son, East Channel into Port Mansfield. We hooked dozens here - it's a natural feeding zone with 20ft of water out in the middle, to cover the changing water temps. It's easier to dial in fish here, when the water is still staging pretty cool - fronts and warm trends here. On the beach, you can have too much swing with water temp this time of the year, to find a predictable pattern. The channel and rocks around the Port Mansfield jetties, these fish can move out into that deeper water they seek, when it cools down and the bottom falls out of warming trends. On the beach, they will swim out several hundred yards, cant touch them, they are seeking 15 - 20 ft off the beach, out of casting range. But in the Port Mansfield channel, they will stage within casting range arse deep, stacking up by the hundreds this time of the year. And the annual baitfish run, anchovy and mullet, will keep them staged at these passes till mid May and or till a reliable warm weather pattern prevails.

On warm days, if your swatting gnats, little **** bugs flying around biting you - BLACK DRUM ARE BITING SOMEWHERE. Cracked crab, cut shrimp and or Shrimp bites - thats the game.

Hope this helps a few here. I've got dozens of years chasing the Texas surf zone....my lifetime literally. I'm rolling 60 next month.
                          Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-16-2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                            Run to the Port Mansfield North Jetty. Sheepshead, redfish and specks should be arse deep there right now. Sand should be hard packed from the last front and rain. Some of the best fishing I've experienced on PINS was mid April, North Jetty Port Mansfield. I've run it for years - 2000s, when my youngest son was small enough to roll with his Dad regularly.

This time of the year, jetties hold fish big time. The surf zone, they zoom by school to school. With the window of catch opportunity so tight, the waiting game will require incoming high tide on the sand, time to be there as it rolls in, peaks and drops, is your best odds.

Jetties hold fish, all tides. Hence the reason why I mention Jetties.

Considering there should be nearly zero pressure now, at the North Port Mansfield Jetties, it's **** well worth the run down the strand, to put time in to hammer the rocks.

3/4 Ounce Johnson Sprite gold spoon, 20 - 100 yards off the sand - North side in the surf zone. Cast and let it lay on the bottom before retrieve. The numbers are 30 plus slot redfish per 4 hours.

Specks tighter to the rocks, jig red head with New Penny gulp tail 3" Cast angles off the rocks - fan cast - slow bottom retrieve on the return. They stage tight on the rocks.

Sheepshead are spawning - dozens are holding on the rocks - HEB cooked shrimp, rig bottom rig - fish finder style. Cast out 15 yards and reel up tight against the rocks, same zone, off the beach, let it lay on the bottom. Bite is very slight, first nibble feel, reel the slack out and don't pull hard. #4, long shank hook. Just take slack out and raise rod tip up and lift. No jerks at all.

I haven't rolled south because I'm doing my part, to obey the Governors order to lay low. Killing me, but I follow orders and I've been feeling guilty about those dying elsewhere.

So in honor - doing what I need to. Hoping that I get rewarded, if and when I can finally roll.....without all this drama.

April is a wonderful time to fish cut crab for big uglies and bullreds. Many don't realize, these bigger drum fish are running the sand but, they will not eat cut bait. CRAB IS THEIR CRACK. My biggest black drum have been hauled out of the surf in April - CUT CRAB - Galveston back in the 70s. It's hard to find crab but, they both feed on crab in the surf in April - when crab are now coming out of winter hibernation. Mullet and cut bait is not reliable to them - crab is.

Good luck! I'm gonna hammer it soon...haven't fished one bit this entire year. Lost my Mom during the new year beginning and now this. Soon.....it's gonna get sick. Got some time to make up.......and it's gonna get real stupid!

If the tide is out, Port Mansfield jetty area, where the rocks where the sand meets the rocks are exposed, move to the channel side and cast gold spoons. The North jetty has a rock groin that stacks out into the main Port Mansfield main channel. Inside of this rock groin, there's a cove, sandy bottom and 100 yards inside of that, is a rocky shoreline of small boulders. This small boulder area, beyond the rocks. hold trout and redfish like nuts. Gold spoon here.

North Jetty - Port Mansfield channel - inside with rocks exposed. Behind my son, East Channel into Port Mansfield. We hooked dozens here - it's a natural feeding zone with 20ft of water out in the middle, to cover the changing water temps. It's easier to dial in fish here, when the water is still staging pretty cool - fronts and warm trends here. On the beach, you can have too much swing with water temp this time of the year, to find a predictable pattern. The channel and rocks around the Port Mansfield jetties, these fish can move out into that deeper water they seek, when it cools down and the bottom falls out of warming trends. On the beach, they will swim out several hundred yards, cant touch them, they are seeking 15 - 20 ft off the beach, out of casting range. But in the Port Mansfield channel, they will stage within casting range arse deep, stacking up by the hundreds this time of the year. And the annual baitfish run, anchovy and mullet, will keep them staged at these passes till mid May and or till a reliable warm weather pattern prevails.

On warm days, if your swatting gnats, little **** bugs flying around biting you - BLACK DRUM ARE BITING SOMEWHERE. Cracked crab, cut shrimp and or Shrimp bites - thats the game.

Hope this helps a few here. I've got dozens of years chasing the Texas surf zone....my lifetime literally. I'm rolling 60 next month.
                            Hit me up before you go, been a long time since we have a wet a line together amigo.

Comment

Will do Mr. Will - 10 plus darn years now - HORY SHEET MAN!

Here's some Port Mansfield Jetties - Spring images.

Scenes are THE ROCKS - Inside and surf zone - all lures - no bait

Late spring - the rock groin in the Port Mansfield channel - casting a M52r Mirrolure - black back, chrome sides with a white belly (mullet) with rattles inside the body.

Hungry fish - this time of the year - lures score big time. This truly is the time to cast artificial baits, and work the zone, with high arse odds to score, casting lures.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X