Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #1
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World
Default Need help....Gas vs. diesel

Right on the line of probably/possibly getting a new truck in the next week.

Right now in a 17’ super duty 6.7 diesel

Pros: gobs of power, very off road capable compared to my 7.3 liter power stroke, fast, fun to drive. Will tow anything And is a tough truck

Cons: drinks fuel, with 37’s I’m getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. Diesel cost is higher, upfront cost is higher and maintenance is higher. Basically it’s more expensive to run across the board.

I like my truck. The reason for me getting a new truck has nothing to do with my old truck per se, but it may be the right time to trade it off.

Looked at replacing it with the exact same truck, and they wanted $70k for it, which I am not willing to do. I sold my big travel trailer so the heaviest I tow on the reg is my UTV , but I tow it several days a week. My work life consists of lots of high way miles countered with lots of slow driving on caliche ranch road or rough ranch roads, a lot of dirt county roads thrown in. This is about everyday

Been looking at the 7.3 liter gas ford crew cab. Have heard good things about the Chevy AT4 2500, but I’m a bit leery of Chevy and their IFS set up, I don’t believe it’s a durable.

Want to stick with the 3/4 ton platform as I believe it holds up better to my lifestyle.

Am I missing something ( other than future resale) or it is it a pretty clear choice a 3/4 ton gas truck is the way to go over the diesel?

Last edited by txtrophy85; 02-21-2021 at 09:52 PM.
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

If all you tow is a utv you definitely don’t need a diesel, diesel prices are on the rise also so going to be over 3.00 within the next 6 months.

The 7.3 gas should do just fine
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
txtrophy85
Ten Point

I also should add I drive a lot....40k + a year
Old 02-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

We looked and I read. A bunch!

Even with 21' center console and a 25' camper we ended up with 7.3 gas. 500 miles on it and we like it. We don't tow far or long enough to justify the extra costs.

Coming from 6.2 chevy 1/2 ton and diesel before that

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
Raider4044
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

You probably donít ďneedĒ a diesel, but youíll miss the power of the 6.7 if you go to a gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider4044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Lol, no truck is "fast".

Get the diesel. Delete it. You will be glad you did.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #7
Buck hunter332
Six Point

Hunt In: The water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider4044 View Post
You probably donít ďneedĒ a diesel, but youíll miss the power of the 6.7 if you go to a gasser.

This my 6.7 seems to never run out of power
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:33 PM   #8
TxAgHntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County; Williamson County

I think youíll miss the power...even pulling lighter loads...

TxAgHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:44 PM   #9
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

If all you are pulling is a SxS or a boat you donít NEED a 3/4 ton diesel or gas truck. A WANT is a different thing though.

You donít need it and there is no scenario where you can come out ahead money-wise when you compare the up front cost and the daily fuel cost.

If you just want to roll in a 3/4 ton and have the money then get after it though. A man should be able to spend his money as he sees fit. Just donít try and fool yourself that that itís needed. Be honest and just say you want it.

175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:49 PM   #10
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
If all you are pulling is a SxS or a boat you don’t NEED a 3/4 ton diesel or gas truck. A WANT is a different thing though.

You don’t need it and there is no scenario where you can come out ahead money-wise when you compare the up front cost and the daily fuel cost.

If you just want to roll in a 3/4 ton and have the money then get after it though. A man should be able to spend his money as he sees fit. Just don’t try and fool yourself that that it’s needed. Be honest and just say you want it.

Im extremely hard on vehicles and the 3 half tons I had prior to this didn’t hold up near as well as either of my 3/4 tons. They are just stouter components. It’s not about the towing it’s about the daily abuse it’s given

In a perfect world I would have a bronco or jeep for work and a truck for my hunting trips
Old 02-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #11
skinsfan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Get ya a half ton. I love my new Chevrolet and loved the eco boost before it. Ride is much better and it pulls everything (including my 55hp tractor) I own just fine! If money is not an issue and you just want a 3/4 ton then get ya a diesel! I personally wouldn’t drive a 3/4 ton gas, let’s face it diesels are so much cooler!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 PM   #12
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
Get ya a half ton. I love my new Chevrolet and loved the eco boost before it. Ride is much better and it pulls everything (including my 55hp tractor) I own just fine! If money is not an issue and you just want a 3/4 ton then get ya a diesel! I personally wouldnít drive a 3/4 ton gas, letís face it diesels are so much cooler!

Maybe I should get a Tundra
Old 02-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrophy85 View Post
Im extremely hard on vehicles and the 3 half tons I had prior to this didn’t hold up near as well as either of my 3/4 tons. They are just stouter components. It’s not about the towing it’s about the daily abuse it’s given

In a perfect world I would have a bronco or jeep for work and a truck for my hunting trips
We run Tundras hard on lease roads day in and day out for 250k miles before we retire them. They hold up as well as any 3/4 or 1 ton I’ve ran at previous companies, and none are treated fairly. They’re all abused daily.

At my previous companies we retired trucks at 160K at one company and 200K at the other. Our current is 250K now that we’re running Tundras, and our goal was 200k before when we ran GMS. Half the time we made it and other times we didn’t. Even if we made it they took major repairs. That hasn’t been the case with the Tundra.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #14
orchard
Four Point

Hunt In: errwhere

This is way they are 80 grand now.
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 11:27 PM   #15
BertramBass
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

How many miles on the 2017? Is it paid for? I would prolly keep it. Great trucks.
BertramBass is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 11:28 PM   #16
slicktree
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Bandera, and Kerr county

Quote:
Maybe I should get a Tundra
I have a tundra and I love it, if fuel mileage is a concern look elsewhere.

With 35's not towing I'm getting like 12-13 mpg

Last edited by slicktree; 02-21-2021 at 11:30 PM.
slicktree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 11:38 PM   #17
samj
Nubbin' Buck

If you drive to the office and back home get a 1/2 ton Ford- Eco boost
It you tow anything, anywhere, get the 3/4ton 6.7 diesel.
There is no comparison in towing, payload, stopping, ect. Any vehicle can get the mass moving, however when it comes time to stop. You better be in a real truck!!!! Personal experience and I will never own a 1/2 ton again. 2000 7.3 327,000 miles. and still rolling. Sam J
samj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #18
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Diesel has higher resale value.

If you are concerned with mileage don’t get a gasser. My 2019 gets 19/20mpg on the highway. Maybe don’t put 37s on the new one.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #19
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Delete the 17. You're not gonna be happy with the gasser, especially if you put 37" tires on it.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #20
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Diesel has higher resale value.
I see this comment all the time when these discussions come up, and itís really a no brainer. If your paying a $10k+/- upcharge for the diesel off the lot, IT SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER RESALE VALUE!!!
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #21
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktree View Post
I have a tundra and I love it, if fuel mileage is a concern look elsewhere.

With 35's not towing I'm getting like 12-13 mpg
What year is it?

Thatís about what I get in my diesel
Old 02-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #22
TA_Fab
Six Point

1/2 Ton Gas for sure. If your not hauling anything heavy I donít see why a 3/4 Ton would hold up better. After reading your post seems like we have very similar driving situations expect change out ranches for plant construction sites. Ive been very pleased with my 1/2 Ton gas.

TA_Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #23
slicktree
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Bandera, and Kerr county

Quote:
what year is it?

Thatís about what i get in my diesel
slicktree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #24
drwilliams
Ten Point

Coming from 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesels to a 2019 Tundra myself. All I haul is a trailer with a sxs or a couple mowers and it's plenty of power. I have towed a kubota 33hp tractor with it a couple times and it done great with that also. Put a set of $400 air bags under it and you will have enough truck to do what ever you want.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
drwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider4044 View Post

This plus you arenít going to see any increase in fuel mileage especially if
you lift it and run 37s again.

The miles you drive per year arenít concerning to me as long as you keep up with proper maintenance. My son is still driving my 04 Z71 with 322k miles on it.

But I will say we have to replace something in the front end every 18-24 months. We just replaced the upper control arms and one of the CV boots over the weekend.

Also if you do decide gas, the 6.6L Chevy doesnít have near the balls the 7.3L does. The towing test up the Ike Gauntlet was pretty poor actually in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #26
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

Iíve put 130,000 in 2 years on my ecoboost and Iím the hardest guy on trucks I know. Oilfield and Ranch work.

Previous truck was a 1 ton 6.7 powerstroke. No regrets.

Brakes Evey 60-70k and I run royal purple oil. Has not missed a beat. Thought I would be totally disappointed but this thing kicks butt. Way smoother, more than plenty of power, kicks butt off-road.

I tow a Skidsteer regularly and a 24í RV. 8MPG towing usually around 70 mph and Iím on 35ís

Last edited by bowfishin fool; 02-22-2021 at 09:21 AM.
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #27
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Right on the line of probably/possibly getting a new truck in the next week.

Right now in a 17í super duty 6.7 diesel

Pros: gobs of power, very off road capable compared to my 7.3 liter power stroke, fast, fun to drive. Will tow anything And is a tough truck

Cons: drinks fuel, with 37ís Iím getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. Diesel cost is higher, upfront cost is higher and maintenance is higher. Basically itís more expensive to run across the board.

I like my truck. The reason for me getting a new truck has nothing to do with my old truck per se, but it may be the right time to trade it off.

Looked at replacing it with the exact same truck, and they wanted $70k for it, which I am not willing to do. I sold my big travel trailer so the heaviest I tow on the reg is my UTV , but I tow it several days a week. My work life consists of lots of high way miles countered with lots of slow driving on caliche ranch road or rough ranch roads, a lot of dirt county roads thrown in. This is about everyday

Been looking at the 7.3 liter gas ford crew cab. Have heard good things about the Chevy AT4 2500, but Iím a bit leery of Chevy and their IFS set up, I donít believe itís a durable.

Want to stick with the 3/4 ton platform as I believe it holds up better to my lifestyle.

Am I missing something ( other than future resale) or it is it a pretty clear choice a 3/4 ton gas truck is the way to go over the diesel?

Yes, you are "Missing" something and it's not related to a vehicle. Unless you have 200k+ plus miles on your 2017, why sell it? If you trade it in, you're getting raked over the coals from a monetary aspect. If it's not paid for, you will have it paid for shortly (unless you re-financed it with a longer term, which requires a whole lot of further discussion). That motor and Trans should last well over 350k miles. Keep the dang truck and be happy you don't have a $1,300 monthly note on a $70k new one.

It sounds like you "want" a new truck but in reality you don't "need" a new truck.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #28
Sunnylab
Eight Point

I'm with the "keep what you got" crowd on this one. If you like it, keep it. I was in the same boat as you when I traded my 2015 Silverado for a 2019 Silverado. I ended up with a newer truck that I really didn't like.

I'm now in the new AT4 duramax and love it.
Sunnylab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #29
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

"Want" vs. "Need" ?

Keep it IMO
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #30
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever i can

everybody thinks they need a diesel these days when everyone pulled the same loads they pull with a 1/2 tons for years. long story short the gas will be just fine. I have had both and can say yes, you may notice the power difference but not enough to justify the cost. this summer we went to New Mexico and i was in my gas F250 and my friend was in his diesel hauling very similar loads. similar trailer and sxs in tow and i was very surprised that our fuel economy was very similar. I drove diesels for 15 years because i hauled every day and now i dont but i still tow heavy loads on the weekend (tractor, hay, etc) im just fine with the gas performance and it does better off road without the anchor of an engine up front
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #31
lawbu
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque County

What are the benefits of deleting the diesel and how does it affect any warranties?
lawbu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #32
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas

Keep it.
The moment you lift and put 35Ē+ tires on the 7.3 or any other gas engine, youíre mileage will plummet also.

Delete it and put shorter tires on it and hang on!

super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #33
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Those f250's seem to have so much more space inside them compared to a 1/2 ton....maybe this is why he wants the gas in the f250? Or when you hear the horror stories of the fuel system or injectors going out on the diesels...
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #34
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I've driven diesels for the past 15 years. I'm thru with them because of the DEF system and added expense for a simple oil change.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #35
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Yes, you are "Missing" something and it's not related to a vehicle. Unless you have 200k+ plus miles on your 2017, why sell it? If you trade it in, you're getting raked over the coals from a monetary aspect. If it's not paid for, you will have it paid for shortly (unless you re-financed it with a longer term, which requires a whole lot of further discussion). That motor and Trans should last well over 350k miles. Keep the dang truck and be happy you don't have a $1,300 monthly note on a $70k new one.

It sounds like you "want" a new truck but in reality you don't "need" a new truck.
I've "wanted" a new truck for several years now. Every time I look at the prices I get disgusted and quit looking for a while. Especially post covid. 60k to get a basic SXT 6.7

Truth of it, my 07 2500 gasser will do majority of the work I need. Bigger loads I'm able to bum my father's 6.7.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #36
W E H
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chehunt View Post
Those f250's seem to have so much more space inside them compared to a 1/2 ton....maybe this is why he wants the gas in the f250? Or when you hear the horror stories of the fuel system or injectors going out on the diesels...
The newer crew F150ís have more cab space than my 2016 F250 crew
W E H is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #37
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM
Default room

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post
The newer crew F150ís have more cab space than my 2016 F250 crew
Yep, just learned something today! I looked it up and the last few years, the cab is same on both...I wouldn't have thought that.
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #38
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

I went from a 6.7 power stroke to a new 6.2 gas f250 and after 20k miles I absolutely love the gas! I pull a 30í camper, utv and 26í boat. It pulls great and fuel mileage isnít terrible, oh and oil changes are way cheaper!! Plus no DEF etc. All my diesel owning friends comment on how smooth and quiet the gas truck is too. Overall Iím definitely pleased especially since it was $11k less than diesel.

I traded in my 15í f250 with 203k miles on it very similar to yours
Saltaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #39
HOOKNBULLET2
Six Point

Hunt In: Blanco

What’s your time worth?

Diesel truck needs oil and filters every 15,000 miles versus every 3,000-5,000 miles in a gas truck. This equates to an oil change every month in a gas truck versus 3 a year in diesel truck.

Diesel truck can have an auxiliary fuel tank which is not available in a gas truck. Miles per fill up in a diesel truck 1000 versus 300 in a gas truck. Based on your 40,000 miles driven a year, that is an additional 93 times a year you have to stop and buy fuel.

That’s why I drive a diesel.

Yes, diesels costs more to own and operate. But for me the trade off is worth it.
HOOKNBULLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #40
W E H
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltaholic View Post
I went from a 6.7 power stroke to a new 6.2 gas f250 and after 20k miles I absolutely love the gas! I pull a 30í camper, utv and 26í boat. It pulls great and fuel mileage isnít terrible, oh and oil changes are way cheaper!! Plus no DEF etc. All my diesel owning friends comment on how smooth and quiet the gas truck is too. Overall Iím definitely pleased especially since it was $11k less than diesel.

I traded in my 15í f250 with 203k miles on it very similar to yours
My 2016 is 6.2 gas. Lariat Ultimate 4x4. Love everything about it but the gas mileage. 10 town 12 highway. Buy way cheaper to operate than my last 2 diesels. Iím kind of curious about the 7.3 gas but Iíll probably put 34-36 in tires on it so it will probably not be to good either. And Iím not paying $65K plus for a new one.
W E H is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #41
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
If all you are pulling is a SxS or a boat you donít NEED a 3/4 ton diesel or gas truck. A WANT is a different thing though.

You donít need it and there is no scenario where you can come out ahead money-wise when you compare the up front cost and the daily fuel cost.

If you just want to roll in a 3/4 ton and have the money then get after it though. A man should be able to spend his money as he sees fit. Just donít try and fool yourself that that itís needed. Be honest and just say you want it.

Wise advice.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 AM   #42
Reel cajun
Four Point

Looks like we are similar on yearly mileage. Iíve been doing this for a long time and monthly notes are scary at first, but what works for me is finance for 36 months. What I have found is Iím 135-150,000 on mileage and resale on the diesel is way ahead of gas. I donít buy any extended warranties and shop for best interest rate and refi after 2-months of whatever interest rate they come up with. Iím only concerned with the price of the truck. When I get ready for a new truck I consider trade in and selling outright. Consider the sales tax difference on this also.
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #43
Reel cajun
Four Point

Last edited by Reel cajun; 02-23-2021 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Double
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #44
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Brandon, I think you should go ahead and get a 7.3. That way you can put a few years on it before I'm ready for a new truck and you can help my decision of gas vs diesel.

You and I are in the same line of work, with similar driving habits/needs I'm sure. I had an f150 for 11 years before getting this 2017 F250, 6.7L. The gas truck pulled everything I needed. But dang it was a dog in the hills. If Ford had the 7.3 available back when I got this 6.7, I likely would have bought it instead and probably would have been really happy with it. But now after owning this beast for 4 years it will be really hard to go back to a gas truck.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #45
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

We've had 2 guys both get the 7.3 gas for work trucks. Each owned a 6.7 for personal. Within 3 months in the gas for work, the 6.7's were traded in for gassers. Seeing 14.8-16.2 on mpg in instrument cluster. For what its worth. Also, check the value of your truck. The used market is sellers market right now.
SAC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #46
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chehunt View Post

Since they went to the aluminum bodies on the super duty they share the same cab with the 1/2 ton trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #47
pilar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Doubt I will go back to diesel, maintenance cost , fuel cost, then seeing so many people stranded with gelled fuel last week, and those fuel systems are a $10000 time bomb
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #48
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
Whatís your time worth?

Diesel truck needs oil and filters every 15,000 miles versus every 3,000-5,000 miles in a gas truck. This equates to an oil change every month in a gas truck versus 3 a year in diesel truck.

Diesel truck can have an auxiliary fuel tank which is not available in a gas truck. Miles per fill up in a diesel truck 1000 versus 300 in a gas truck. Based on your 40,000 miles driven a year, that is an additional 93 times a year you have to stop and buy fuel.

Thatís why I drive a diesel.

Yes, diesels costs more to own and operate. But for me the trade off is worth it.
3000 to 5000 miles between oil changes on a gas engine. NOPE! That is a waste of time and money!

I have a 2020 Ford F350 with the 7.3 gas and have it changed at our local Ford Quick Change dealer and they do every 7000 miles between changes. ALSO, how much fuel does the extra tank on a diesel hold? My 7.3 holds 48 gallons with a single fill!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #49
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

Quote:
Whatís your time worth?

This isnít quite correct... I change my oil Every 10,000. And it costs me $45 for Royal Purple full synthetic.

Think about tires, Iím at 90,000 on my current set of KO2ís. Most diesel guys are happy to get 40k on tires..

I also get 550-600 miles unloaded in my gasser.
Gonna be even better when I switch to the new F150 hybrid!!

I donít baby it either, more than 20% of my mileage to date on this truck has been with a trailer.

bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #50
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Quote:
Whatís your time worth?

Actually my 7.3 is 10k mile oil changes. You can get an auxiliary fuel tank for gas engines, you canít however directly feed the tank from the aux tank. Youíd technically have to refill from you aux tank. Companies like transfer flow make them, been looking at the 70gal model, but itís a bit spendy!
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top