Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #151
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Maybe a good thing to have is backup carb and few hoses for all the generators as that’s always what’s bad when you seem to get them out of storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #152
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I’ve never considered myself a prepper, but there isn’t one thing that I’ve needed or would need that I don’t have somewhere.

I have a 15kw gen if power is ever lost.
I keep 20 gallons of gas at the house and 100 at the farm. 20,000 gal of diesel at shop.
I have about 2 cords of firewood cut.
40,000 gal of water in my pool.
Four freezers full of meat and vegetables.
250gal propane stays topped off.
I have an outdoor kitchen that runs on propane.
Have a Percolator.

I don’t even consider myself “prepared”, I just have so much **** that eventually every possibility is covered.

You’re right, you don’t sound like a “prepper.” I think they call that “hoarding.”
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:52 PM   #153
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
You’re right, you don’t sound like a “prepper.” I think they call that “hoarding.”

you can’t imagine how much crap I throw away!

curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2021, 11:53 PM   #154
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
you can’t imagine how much crap I throw away!

I get it. I really do!
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 12:17 AM   #155
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home and wherever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
We need a meme of the TP hoarder lighting TP on fire to stay warm.

Now that would be funny right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #156
68rustbucket
Spike

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
More firewood.
Yep
68rustbucket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #157
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Don’t forget your cord for your transfer switch. I bought a 50 ft 50 amp cord 125/250 volt, 6 gage four wire. It’s made by Generac. I believe it cost me around $360.00 bucks. Got it long enough to keep my generator out of the elements. Power went on and off so used the generator and ran the fireplace on low at night so neighbors wouldn’t have to listen to generator all night as well as us. Then we busted a water line. I found the leak, cut the pvc and valved it off. Have water back now.
As I’ve stated before, we had an estimate on a whole house Generac 22k for 11,000.00. We’re going to revisit that and maybe install a smaller one.
22k is a hoss. Are u trying to run every single circuit? Square footage? I left the garage, pool bath, mud room and one bathroom off the 20kw I have and it has never missed a beat.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #158
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I would also like to add an extra liver to my prep.

To help ensure others had drinking water I unselfishly drank beer all week
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #159
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post

LOL! Man, I hardly ever beer drink during the week...but the last week and half..whew.

We never lost power but the scares did make me realize I only had one good flashlight at my house!? I have a couple good ones at deer camp but that’s 25 miles away. They’re too cheap these days not to have several good ones on hand.

A few weeks ago the only gas station within 25 miles of my place burned down , so I’m considering getting a small diesel tank to keep at the house.

I’ve got a great well that I can draw from without elec. & good access to food with garden stuff, ponds, creek, cattle, yard birds & wild game. Infinite supply of firewood & wood stove with blower set up.

I have a decent generator but to me the generator game isn’t a long term solution so I don’t mind the dinky one I have now.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #160
Bob G
Ten Point

Arrowsmith, you are correct on if I get below the frost line I should be safe. This freeze was definitely out of the norm. I like your setup...

tending the fire,
Bob G.
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #161
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
22k is a hoss. Are u trying to run every single circuit? Square footage? I left the garage, pool bath, mud room and one bathroom off the 20kw I have and it has never missed a beat.

Yessir that was for the whole house. We’re changing out a few of the electric products that were here when we bought it and going to n g instead. That can allow us to look at installing a much smaller unit.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #162
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
I'm pulling all my buried water lines up, they are 1" pvc. Then I'm going to lay 2 3/8 tubing from pump house to living quarters inlet and insert my pex inside. Then I'll install a gas water heater in pump house that will be able to feed the tubing. If there is ever a inline freeze I'll run hot water through 2 3/8 tubing to get pex unfrozen, thus never having to repair another water line. Project starts tomorrow...

tending the fire,
Bob G.

Keep us updated on how this goes....

Could one run schedule 40 4” and then have heat on one end and run a small fan like a computer fan to draw enough warm air through the 4” to keep temps above freezing? Just a thought. Might be ridiculous, but was in my head.

TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #163
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Generator
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #164
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yessir that was for the whole house. We’re changing out a few of the electric products that were here when we bought it and going to n g instead. That can allow us to look at installing a much smaller unit.
Gotcha......I did not realize you were looking at propane or diesel. I am on natural gas.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #165
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co, Kinney co

Propane conversion kits for my small Honda generators and my Miller welder. Propane can be stored in bulk a lot longer than gas and has multi functions.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #166
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Gonna try to make Oscar proud here and just get all my quoting done at once lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
An electrician to connect my generator to the main breaker panel.
^^^this^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
It’s a long list but immediately a oil space heater and generator. Also a kerosene heater for garage.

Long term will be a solution that handles summer and winter. Over all self sufficient and not dependent on the gridiron

We’ve been without power for @11 days. Folks across the street ran a large kerosene heater that kept their living room in the mid to upper 60s...we already ordered one that I’ll use in my shop to take the chill out of in cold mornings and it will be nice to have as backup if we are ever stuck in this situation again. Plus it would be nice to have at deer camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3products20 View Post
They sell them at tractor supply. I bought a couple last week. Best decision I ever made!!! Lol

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
Good to hear...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
Probably add a wood burning stove this year

Yep. Our house is only 4 months old and our builder talked us out of a stove because it would void the warranty on the roof...I have full intentions of getting one just wanted to make sure the roof was good beforehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post

The struggle is real lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
High quality space heater. The ones i have are not sufficient in these temps with no power. A lot more firewood. Down to about two days worth. A bag of rock salt would be nice so i don’t bust my butt on the steps. I would have been fine had they not left us with no power for so long. Once the pipes froze there was nothing i could do.

Look into a kerosene heater...they work great and no shortage or lines to stand in to refill.
The one we ordered was @$180

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #167
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
Gonna try to make Oscar proud here and just get all my quoting done at once lol

^^^this^^^

We’ve been without power for @11 days. Folks across the street ran a large kerosene heater that kept their living room in the mid to upper 60s...we already ordered one that I’ll use in my shop to take the chill out of in cold mornings and it will be nice to have as backup if we are ever stuck in this situation again. Plus it would be nice to have at deer camp

Good to hear...thanks

Yep. Our house is only 4 months old and our builder talked us out of a stove because it would void the warranty on the roof...I have full intentions of getting one just wanted to make sure the roof was good beforehand

The struggle is real lol

Look into a kerosene heater...they work great and no shortage or lines to stand in to refill.

U did excellent work sir!!! Deaux u have a link to that kerosene heater? Who sells kerosene these days? Shelf life on kerosene?

Old 02-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #168
CaptainDave
Ten Point

It's kind of a nick knack type of item, but my sister in law had a solar phone/tablet charger she uses for hiking trips that came in handy. This item was helpful in recharging phones and back-up battery banks during the day. It was even somewhat cloudy outside and still worked.

I've done a little looking around and these things are fairly inexpensive ranging from $25 to $100. Not a bad item to throw in a survival pack.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #169
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Oscar I don’t think I can have a large propane tank in a subdivision in Katy. Katy has a ton of regulations, which is good for the most part. But I think I would need at least a 250 gallon tank to make propane powered generator practical. Just don’t see that happening on a 1/4 acre lot. Nor are we consider diesel. We are changing out electric ovens and cook top to natural gas.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #170
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
It's kind of a nick knack type of item, but my sister in law had a solar phone/tablet charger she uses for hiking trips that came in handy. This item was helpful in recharging phones and back-up battery banks during the day. It was even somewhat cloudy outside and still worked.

I've done a little looking around and these things are fairly inexpensive ranging from $25 to $100. Not a bad item to throw in a survival pack.
Do you know the brand/model? I was given one a few years ago and its worthless.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #171
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

I need someone who can confirm or rule out whether a 13000 watt generator is sufficient to run my entire house. All electric with a 13 seer heat pump HVAC unit. I know it’s not enough to run the heat on emergency heat but can’t get an solid answer on regular HVAC.
Probably would use electric range or washer dryer during a generator event but it would be a lot easier to just wire directly to the whole panel and install an interlock instead of building another panel strictly for generator use.

dawgkllr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #172
wickll
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria and Lavaca Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3products20 View Post
They sell them at tractor supply. I bought a couple last week. Best decision I ever made!!! Lol

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
I ordered one off of amazon yesterday. I have a double mantle lantern and a small single burner which are designed for the 1 lb bottles. I kinda gave up on the idea of refilling the bottles.
wickll is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #173
bmac
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgkllr View Post
I need someone who can confirm or rule out whether a 13000 watt generator is sufficient to run my entire house. All electric with a 13 seer heat pump HVAC unit. I know it’s not enough to run the heat on emergency heat but can’t get an solid answer on regular HVAC.
Probably would use electric range or washer dryer during a generator event but it would be a lot easier to just wire directly to the whole panel and install an interlock instead of building another panel strictly for generator use.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=801076

See post #74 for generic power demands. Might be possible to run some stuff, but short of all.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #174
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I'm going to buy at least one more mr buddy heater and a couple more 20# tanks. Probably a better battery backup for my modem and wifi so it will last at least 1 1/2 hours instead of 45 min.

Will also get some 1/2" and 3/4" shark bite caps to have on hand.

Hoping twin liquors has their $1 sale soon so I can get restocked.

Oh and more batteries for the smoke detectors and co2 sensors in the house. Talk about annoying when they go off at 2am after its been 8 hours of no electricity. I hadn't even started the mr buddy inside yet. I found which 2 were causing problems and actually had 2 batteries available. Luckily I didn't need more.

Last edited by BigL; 02-22-2021 at 09:02 PM.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #175
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oscar I don’t think I can have a large propane tank in a subdivision in Katy. Katy has a ton of regulations, which is good for the most part. But I think I would need at least a 250 gallon tank to make propane powered generator practical. Just don’t see that happening on a 1/4 acre lot. Nor are we consider diesel. We are changing out electric ovens and cook top to natural gas.
We are in the same boat over here. My generator has a spigot for propane but I doubt it will ever get used.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #176
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

My wife I are pretty hard core self reliant preppers. With that being said we one thing that we have not made a lot of provisions for is an emergency water supply. I keep 7 of the square blue jugs full (35 gallons) and I keep it fairly fresh. It would be easy to capture rainwater off our metal roof, but we have not done that as of yet.

We have over a 1/2 mile of the North Fabuis River that flows through our farm. We are on the headwaters of the North Fabuis. It flows down thru Missouri all the way to the Mississippi.

My neighbor has lived here for 50 years and he said he had never seen it stop flowing. It is not the prettiest, cleanest water, but with a good filter it would work for an emergency supply. I have a 2" electric submersible pump that I can run off a generator or a 5 gallon bucket would work in a pinch.

So... my item is a Big Berkey water filter.

https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/pro...-water-filter/

Also. If you are into prepping watch this video. M.D. Creedmore has a sensible approach to being prepared. His approach matches ours and 4 of our neighbors philosophy on prepping that are farmers, cattle ranchers, a retired fireman, and us.

These 10 Types of Preppers Will Die First When SHTF

https://youtu.be/rEZOaIb2GSQ

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-22-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #177
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Can you post a link?

TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #178
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post

Hoping twin liquors has their $1 sale soon so I can get restocked.
Need more info. What do they usually sell
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #179
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default What is the one “prepper” item you will go buy soon?

My dad and I were just talking about the kerosene heater we had when when I was a kid. That thing cranked out some serious heat and we would normally end up having to turn it off because it would get out house too hot.

Last edited by JackRyan; 02-23-2021 at 12:04 AM.
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 12:07 AM   #180
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Need more info. What do they usually sell
Everything. They lower prices to $1 over cost for the sale.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 12:09 AM   #181
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
Everything. They lower prices to $1 over cost for the sale.

Good to know. Shoot me a pm if u hear a date
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 12:14 AM   #182
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Good to know. Shoot me a pm if u hear a date
Will do. I just looked it up and they canceled the one in the fall. Hopefully they bring it back. I know I would drop 250-500 on their sales and was planning on doing the same this time.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #183
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

If there is a Total Wine near check their prices. They are like a Twin Liquors sale everyday
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #184
bmac
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
My wife I are pretty hard core self reliant preppers. With that being said we one thing that we have not made a lot of provisions for is an emergency water supply. I keep 7 of the square blue jugs full (35 gallons) and I keep it fairly fresh. It would be easy to capture rainwater off our metal roof, but we have not done that as of yet.

We have over a 1/2 mile of the North Fabuis River that flows through our farm. We are on the headwaters of the North Fabuis. It flows down thru Missouri all the way to the Mississippi.

My neighbor has lived here for 50 years and he said he had never seen it stop flowing. It is not the prettiest, cleanest water, but with a good filter it would work for an emergency supply. I have a 2" electric submersible pump that I can run off a generator or a 5 gallon bucket would work in a pinch.

So... my item is a Big Berkey water filter.

https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/pro...-water-filter/

Also. If you are into prepping watch this video. M.D. Creedmore has a sensible approach to being prepared. His approach matches ours and 4 of our neighbors philosophy on prepping that are farmers, cattle ranchers, a retired fireman, and us.

These 10 Types of Preppers Will Die First When SHTF

https://youtu.be/rEZOaIb2GSQ

So are you a number eight? Or are you inviting us all up there and we can join a TBH brotherhood and bug out?

Old 02-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #185
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Generator with interlock system
Kettle for French press coffee
Propane and propane accessories
Solid sleeping bags for the family
A few lanterns and plenty of 1lb propane bottles. I grabbed a pair early last week, but shelves were empty by Friday
You can get an adapter that allows you to refill the 1# bottles from a 20# bottle too. Only get them about 2/3rds full, but you can keep on refilling them.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #186
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
So are you a number eight? Or are you inviting us all up there and we can join a TBH brotherhood and bug out?

Man that was a hard video to watch.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #187
JRandolphTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Firewood, a better hatchet, a generator and some water totes.
JRandolphTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #188
Passafist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
More gummies

I like the way you think!!!!
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #189
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post

No Sir.

The last thing I would ever want to do is to cause someone any kind of bodily harm.

The goal of our group.... because we are stronger as a group....is to be prepared with shelter, food, water, fuel, auxiliary emergency power, medical supplies, and physical and mental support for each other and anyone else in our area that needs help during.....a tornado, a "Derecho" like the one that devastated central Iowa on August 10, 2020, a winter storm like the one that occured in Texas last week, or a civil unrest event like the ones that have occurred across the nation over the last 6 months.

With that being our group (4 neighbors and us) are well armed, but using our weapons for any reason would be a very last resort just like any other law abiding citizen.

The definition of prepping:

Prepping or survivalism is a social movement of individuals or groups who actively prepare for emergencies, including possible disruptions in social or political order, on a local or national scale.

And yes.... you are welcome here anytime.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #190
Zmaxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

I started prepping about 9 yrs ago.
We had an ice storm.. some were without power for 10+ days.
Im a licensed electrical contractor, but also very capable with plumbing, appliance repairs, operating skid steers, track hoes, trenchers, tractors, combines, etc.
I started seriously prepping 18mo ago
This includes vacuum sealing, dehydrating, buckets, canned goods, medical, etc.
I now have over 800 cans, soups, veggies, etc.
I follow,..
Alaska Prepper
Bear Independent
Ice Age Farmer
TJ preps
Viking Preparedness
The Atlantis Report
Worl News Report Today
Guns and Gadgets
Kotaboy32

I have numerous water sources, im planting 800 potatoes, sweet corn, tomatoes,, etc, beef is already scheduled for slaughter.. 4 of us butchered 5 hogs our selves last May.. i have a grinder, seasonings,.. etc.
Plans for this summer is a wood burning cook stove and i need to spray foam my shop and the main floor of my house.. i already purchased 500ft of 6ft privacy fence, and working on security cameras.
Electrically speaking, i have unknown mass quantities of parts..
Cheap is over. 12-2 romex has doubled in price in 2months.. its now $424 per 1000ft.
Steel conduits are way up.. pvc conduit and ftgs all but disappeared.. they seem to be back somewhat.. but much higher$$... square d breakers are still hard to get.
Ive bought replacement parts for my truck, starter, brake pads, ujoints, lots of oil, filters..

As we creep closer to a "national cryptocurrency"
The fed will control all of our money, they are looking serious, or seriously looking at a "Federal Digital Dollar"

Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 02-24-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Zmaxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #191
Hogmauler
Ten Point

I haven’t seen anyone prepping for their pets. Are they on their own. LOL!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #192
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

1)110 converter in my truck.
2)percolator
3)gloves that are actually warm(instead of little leather work gloves)
4)candles

I was actually proud of myself for getting $1000 cash in small bills.Small bottles of propane,for the Blackstone.Filled up with Diesel,and a can of fuel additive.We were real lucky.Lost power about 3 hours,and that was the only disruption.

Now,what I think everyone should have? A 4wd truck,or Suv.I saw folks hi centered on snow.Dug one of them out myself.My old man told me years ago.Always have a four wheel drive truck..You may not ever need it,but if you need it,it's there..I probably use mine on slick *** boat ramps,more than anything,but I was in 4h for 4 days last week.
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #193
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx
Default Nope

Quote:
Brought em in the house...What more prep do they need?
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #194
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
They may become dinner
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #195
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
I started prepping about 9 yrs ago.
We had an ice storm.. some were without power for 10+ days.
Im a licensed electrical contractor, but also very capable with plumbing, appliance repairs, operating skid steers, track hoes, trenchers, tractors, combines, etc.
I started seriously prepping 18mo ago
This includes vacuum sealing, dehydrating, buckets, canned goods, medical, etc.
I now have over 800 cans, soups, veggies, etc.
I follow,..
Alaska Prepper
Bear Independent
Ice Age Farmer
TJ preps
Viking Preparedness
The Atlantis Report
Worl News Report Today
Guns and Gadgets
Kotaboy32

I have numerous water sources, im planting 800 potatoes, sweet corn, tomatoes,, etc, beef is already scheduled for slaughter.. 4 of us butchered 5 hogs our selves last May.. i have a grinder, seasonings,.. etc.
Plans for this summer is a wood burning cook stove and i need to spray foam my shop and the main floor of my house.. i already purchased 500ft of 6ft privacy fence, and working on security cameras.
Electrically speaking, i have unknown mass quantities of parts..
Cheap is over. 12-2 romex has doubled in price in 2months.. its now $424 per 1000ft.
Steel conduits are way up.. pvc conduit and ftgs all but disappeared.. they seem to be back somewhat.. but much higher$$... square d breakers are still hard to get.
Ive bought replacement parts for my truck, starter, brake pads, ujoints, lots of oil, filters..

As we creep closer to a "national cryptocurrency"
The fed will control all of our money, they are looking serious, or seriously looking at a "Federal Digital Dollar"
That is awesome !!!

There are roughly 3.7 million of us serious preppers in the U.S.

That leaves about 325 million people in the U S. that are living day to day with no real plan. I am sure some have some kind of plan or want to have a plan, but few actually act on it.

Our neighbor group of 4 families up here owns a total of approximately 5000-6000 acres, 600 -700 head of cattle, 1250 finished hogs (they own a hog house), 2000 acres of field corn, 1000 acres of soy beans, 200 acres of milo, an apple orchard for canning apples and making cider. Two neighbors have large chicken houses for eggs and meat if needed.

My wife and I have the smallest property by far at 63 acres. We will contribute with our garden.

This spring we are tapping maple and black walnut trees on our ground and are going to make maple and black walnut syrup. We also are the only deer hunters of the four families so we provide venison. . Everytime I offer to kill them a deer they say kill all you want. Thanks but we have beef.

Check out M.D. Creedmore channel. I am going to check out the ones that you mentioned above.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-24-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #196
thegrouse
Pope & Young

I think you are doing it right with the community. Unless you can pull fire watch 24/7 at your place you are subject to having all your supplies taken by the next guy.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #197
rolylane6
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
I think you are doing it right with the community. Unless you can pull fire watch 24/7 at your place you are subject to having all your supplies taken by the next guy.
I was thinking the same thing. 3.7 million trying to fend off 325 million.
Or maybe even a government that thinks it needs to "redistribute" all that "wealth" anyway.
I'm not knocking it tho. Being prepared is a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #198
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
We definitely have a group plan and have each other's back, but we also respect each families privacy. We live 3/4 to a mile from each other. Probably the most interesting part of of plan (some people will think it one of those crazy preppers deals) is that we have 3 rally points picked out if we every have to meet up away from our homes....for what ever reason. There are 3 remote family cemeteries on our propeties. Who would think a cemetery would be a rally point.....well us.

No roads or trails lead to the cemeteries. They are out in the middle of a pasture or timber. You have to know where they are. Here is one. I also have a tree stand in this one. There are deer trails all over it.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #199
thegrouse
Pope & Young

That is great, I live in the city so it is not ideal, especially with a bus stop 2 blocks away
Old 02-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #200
Zmaxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
That is awesome !!!

There are roughly 3.7 million of us serious preppers in the U.S.

That leaves about 325 million people in the U S. that are living day to day with no real plan. I am sure some have some kind of plan or want to have a plan, but few actually act on it.

Our neighbor group of 4 families up here owns a total of approximately 5000-6000 acres, 600 -700 head of cattle, 1250 finished hogs (they own a hog house), 2000 acres of field corn, 1000 acres of soy beans, 200 acres of milo, an apple orchard for canning apples and making cider. Two neighbors have large chicken houses for eggs and meat if needed.

My wife and I have the smallest property by far at 63 acres. We will contribute with our garden.

This spring we are tapping maple and black walnut trees on our ground and are going to make maple and black walnut syrup. We also are the only deer hunters of the four families so we provide venison. . Everytime I offer to kill them a deer they say kill all you want. Thanks but we have beef.

Check out M.D. Creedmore channel. I am going to check out the ones that you mentioned above.

Having a M.A.G. (mutual assistance group) is very important.
My wife is an RN
Wifes side of the family is big, shes the youngest of 10
My brother farms, about 7000a
His son has a cow/calf operation
Thru my work, i have a lot of connections with many othet local farmers, ranchers and such.
Having skills with which to barter/trade and offer is a good thing.
We get farm fresh eggs from a friend.
Our area has center pivot irrigation, wind mills with pump jacks and i know of many solar powered wells, water is available.

One thing about rural areas vs the city.. if a stranger comes here, people notice ithem right away..here, everyone waves, many will say there hellos, ask about your family, etc.. you cant come here and blend in..you cant disappear like you can in the cities and major metro areas.

"Theyre" building $1 to $3million dollar doomsday apartments in former atlas missile silos here.. 1 is complete, another under construction, , these are cash up front, no payment plan.. supposed to harbor and sustain about 80 people.
Talapia pond, hydroponics, rock climbing wall, armored vehicle, etc..
Zmaxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top