Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #151
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Is it true that the money(loan) companies got not let their employees go is basically forgiven if they kept them until June 15th? If so, the unemployment numbers are going to jump big time in the next few weeks.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #152
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Is it true that the money(loan) companies got not let their employees go is basically forgiven if they kept them until June 15th? If so, the unemployment numbers are going to jump big time in the next few weeks.
Yes that's true..If they follow the guidelines.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #153
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Bringing this back up. Ever since I messed around with the VTIQ to NKLA merger I have been playing with the day or weekly trading in other SPACs. Lots of money being made in the electric and clean energy mergers as well as some other acquisitions. My current big runners are SHLL and WKHS. Worth looking in to when they have a good dip again. Even if they’re not your thing never hurts to research
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #154
TexasRough1256
Ten Point

Hunt In: Centerville, SE TX

New to the day to day trade, reading into everyone’s input.. Thank you.. anybody else have a few stocks to follow?
TexasRough1256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #155
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co, Kinney co

Quote:
Yes to a degree, money is about to start drying up soon so if everything starts shutting down again it could get ugly quick. They did extend the time period to use the money from 8 weeks to 24weeks so that will help a little. Itís about to get real interesting if they start shutting gyms, stores and resteraunt down again. I donít think the businesses are gonna comply especially the mom and pop places. When everyoneís free money dries up and we are still dealing with this mess itís gonna get ugly. People are already on edge, when the freebies dry up whatís left?
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #156
boomerball
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
when the freebies dry up whatís left?
more freebies? if they double / triple down on stimulus will it keep things floating along for a few more months?
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #157
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Yes to a degree, money is about to start drying up soon so if everything starts shutting down again it could get ugly quick. They did extend the time period to use the money from 8 weeks to 24weeks so that will help a little. Itís about to get real interesting if they start shutting gyms, stores and resteraunt down again. I donít think the businesses are gonna comply especially the mom and pop places. When everyoneís free money dries up and we are still dealing with this mess itís gonna get ugly. People are already on edge, when the freebies dry up whatís left?
Chaos
Old 06-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #158
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerball View Post
more freebies? if they double / triple down on stimulus will it keep things floating along for a few more months?
It might happen but it's going to destroy the value of the dollar. We have already printed more money as a % of gdp than any other nation. If the dollar craters and looses its reserve currency status the long term outcomes for us are even worse than not doing additional stimulus. Worldwide currency is fiat. The goal is to ensure the dollar sucks less than every other currency out there and right now thats an iffy proposition.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
JBJTX81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #159
AJMag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

Had a little fun with SHLL yesterday. That was a nice rip. It hit my scanner a little late but i made a short trade off it.

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk
AJMag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #160
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
Had a little fun with SHLL yesterday. That was a nice rip. It hit my scanner a little late but i made a short trade off it.

Did you hold any through the weekend? A couple of these I am trying to keep a position in until the mergers. NKLA went crazy afterwards. Tons of popularity with the clean energy and especially 0 and low emissions vehicle startups
Old 06-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #161
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Did you hold any through the weekend? A couple of these I am trying to keep a position in until the mergers. NKLA went crazy afterwards. Tons of popularity with the clean energy and especially 0 and low emissions vehicle startups
No, i didn't know enough about it to even swing trade it. I caught a couple bull flags and cashed out on the pull back around noon. I'm too skeptical of the current climate to hold things like NKLA overnight, especially over the weekend. Right now I'm even happier i just locked in Microsoft profits since i see where they just closed a bunch of stores. This has been an insane market the last few months.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #162
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMag View Post
No, i didn't know enough about it to even swing trade it. I caught a couple bull flags and cashed out on the pull back around noon. I'm too skeptical of the current climate to hold things like NKLA overnight, especially over the weekend. Right now I'm even happier i just locked in Microsoft profits since i see where they just closed a bunch of stores. This has been an insane market the last few months.

For sure. Iím just mad I sold NKLA in the 50s even though I was in before the merger. Great profit just missed a whole lot more but I didnít know enough and wasnít about to try and time it. These are mostly from that profit and RCL profit so playing them with free money
Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #163
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
For sure. Iím just mad I sold NKLA in the 50s even though I was in before the merger. Great profit just missed a whole lot more but I didnít know enough and wasnít about to try and time it. These are mostly from that profit and RCL profit so playing them with free money
I honestly have not followed that much. I probably should but i don't consider it safe for my typical swing plan. Yesterday was a nice rare occasion that i took the day off from work which let me play a couple day trades. I've had nice plays lately on BYND, PTON before earnings, SPWH and SWHC. Now I'm kind of just playing it safe and making momentum and support/resistance trades on select stocks. I bought adobe yesterday to hold through the weekend which might bite me if this sell off isn't over it's been crankingand this looks like a nice dip to buy. Waiting for dexcom to drop back to around 350 again.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #164
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Bringing this back up. Ever since I messed around with the VTIQ to NKLA merger I have been playing with the day or weekly trading in other SPACs. Lots of money being made in the electric and clean energy mergers as well as some other acquisitions. My current big runners are SHLL and WKHS. Worth looking in to when they have a good dip again. Even if theyíre not your thing never hurts to research
Hope someone was able to take advantage of these
Old 06-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #165
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I was able to get in on VXRT before the jump. My biggest play thus far.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #166
AJMag
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm stuck waiting for my free cash to clear from my Friday trades. Thought i would throw back in SHLL for a few days at least and see what happens. Maybe tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #167
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Quote:
Bringing this back up. Ever since I messed around with the VTIQ to NKLA merger I have been playing with the day or weekly trading in other SPACs. Lots of money being made in the electric and clean energy mergers as well as some other acquisitions. My current big runners are SHLL and WKHS. Worth looking in to when they have a good dip again. Even if theyíre not your thing never hurts to research

I was able to get into WKHS when it was under a $1, been a great one so far.
Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #168
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codypatt1 View Post
I was able to get into WKHS when it was under a $1, been a great one so far.
Very nice. I didn't find it until $7-$8 but was able to get a good chunk in there. If they're able to pull a piece of the USPS contract we will be very happy

Last edited by bphillips; 06-29-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #169
Codypatt1
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE OK

Quote:
Very nice. I didn't find it until $7-$8 but was able to get a good chunk in there. If they're able to pull a piece of the USPS contract we will be very happy

I agree. Game changer for sure
Codypatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #170
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:

I missed the boat on WKHS but got in at 13.00 today. Was pretty wild....I only put a little on it but was fun to check this evening! Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #171
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Probably should have sold my holdings into today’s rally (other than silver and gold, which are my hedges against the printing presses). If it gets that bad though, the money would have been better spent on guns and ammo.
TwoHighways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #172
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
I missed the boat on WKHS but got in at 13.00 today. Was pretty wild....I only put a little on it but was fun to check this evening! Thanks for the heads up!

Today is making $13 look like a steal
Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #173
AJMag
Pope & Young

Jumped on a small amount of wkhs and shll for a speculative swing, hopefully it pulls higher in the next few days. Jnpr is the next thing im watching. Technicals suggest is just broke through it's downtrend on the daily. Has a couple of resistance levels ahead, but i think there's some potential with the 5g play to make some money in the next week or so. It just had a pullback while others were runing up. Up 2% today.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #174
ccbrown50
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Whatís everyoneís thoughts on NKLA?

ccbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #175
AJMag
Pope & Young

Made out like a bandit on lemonade yesterday. It ran up to 31% up on the day before pulling back to 19%. I'm watching a number of others but can't bring myself to pull the trigger on much. Everything has been running high for too long now, I'm waiting on a pullback.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #176
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Tagged
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #177
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Anyone else get in on SPCE?
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #178
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Man Im tempted to sell on this wave up.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #179
Colonel_Reb
Four Point

Hunt In: Hunt Co. / MS / CTX

Below is a quote from the great Jim Grant of "Grant's Interest Rate Observer" that I think is very prescient at this time.

"Low rates are notorious mischief-makers. Seeking the returns unavailable at the bank or in government debt or even in conventional 60/40 investment portfolios, savers become investors, investors become speculators and millennials turn to day-trading."

I would urge caution to anyone jumping in at this time trying to get a piece of the recent gains. We are truly in unprecedented times with a pandemic, record low interest rates, and unprecedented Fed money printing. There are zero fundamentals to support current valuations.
Colonel_Reb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #180
AJMag
Pope & Young

Debating locking in my gains on smith and wesson and waiting for it's next pull back to get back in. Need to look at the technicals a little closer first

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #181
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Reb View Post
Below is a quote from the great Jim Grant of "Grant's Interest Rate Observer" that I think is very prescient at this time.

"Low rates are notorious mischief-makers. Seeking the returns unavailable at the bank or in government debt or even in conventional 60/40 investment portfolios, savers become investors, investors become speculators and millennials turn to day-trading."

I would urge caution to anyone jumping in at this time trying to get a piece of the recent gains. We are truly in unprecedented times with a pandemic, record low interest rates, and unprecedented Fed money printing. There are zero fundamentals to support current valuations.
A lot of truth to this, hence why Ive been doing more and more real estate investments. My 28 yr old son has started day trading recently lol.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #182
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Splendora, TX

I took my profits on Hlx today. They had a good earnings report yesterday. In at $2.09 out at 5.00. I will get back in on the dips. Itís a solid company with plenty of cash and a history of beating earnings.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #183
TexasRough1256
Ten Point

Hunt In: Centerville, SE TX

Anybody jumping into the TSLA stock??
TexasRough1256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #184
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
Anybody jumping into the TSLA stock??
Im thinking of shorting it lol.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #185
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Silver has been on a terror as of late. I bought in SLV in April when it was around $14 and change. Holding for the long term as it’s my inflation hedge, along with a position in gold. Also long Budweiser and miller/coors. Money tied up in cheveron and southern company as well (safe place to park cash with solid dividend payout). Only position I’m negative in currently is Miller/coors (down 3% from entry as of today), but that’s a longer term hold as well.

Last edited by TwoHighways; 07-23-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #186
sharpshooter1
Six Point

Hunt In: The South Texas brush

I did pretty good on Spotify. Bought right after I heard they are paying Joe Rogan 100 mil to move his podcast there. Bought at $190. Still holding a few shares.
sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #187
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Does anyone post their bad trades/losses?
Old 07-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #188
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im thinking of shorting it lol.
Just curious why? What's reason that you think it will drop and the timeframe it's going to drop in?
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #189
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
I'm curious if anyone will post their trading strategy. How do they identify stocks, what fundamentals are they looking at, what technicals are they using, etc. Or is it all gut feel. I'm always looking for ways to improve my research and trading strategy.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #190
Jason
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches/Rusk County

Quote:
Yea, BKEP has been a dog! Those .04 dividends have really been nice

Got into Ford thinking it was fairly stable price wise and produced consistent dividends. They soon thereafter suspended all dividends.

There have been a few that I sold and made money, but held too long (or jumped ship too quickly) and could've made more.

I've never personally met anyone who "won" on every trade, that did much trading at all.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #191
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrown50 View Post
Whatís everyoneís thoughts on NKLA?

I got in pre merger and out after merger but would not be in it now. I think they still have a good amount of downside to see.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #192
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yea, BKEP has been a dog! Those .04 dividends have really been nice

Got into Ford thinking it was fairly stable price wise and produced consistent dividends. They soon thereafter suspended all dividends.

There have been a few that I sold and made money, but held too long (or jumped ship too quickly) and could've made more.

I've never personally met anyone who "won" on every trade, that did much trading at all.
Iíve actually thought about Ford, but Iím too risk averse. Not in great financial shape at all.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #193
TwoHighways
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
I'm curious if anyone will post their trading strategy. How do they identify stocks, what fundamentals are they looking at, what technicals are they using, etc. Or is it all gut feel. I'm always looking for ways to improve my research and trading strategy.
I’m more fundamentals based and not into short term/speculative stuff. I look at price/earnings, debt to equity, and dividend yields.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #194
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Silver has been on a terror as of late. I bought in SLV in April when it was around $14 and change. Holding for the long term as itís my inflation hedge, along with a position in gold. Also long Budweiser and miller/coors. Money tied up in cheveron and southern company as well (safe place to park cash with solid dividend payout). Only position Iím negative in currently is Miller/coors (down 3% from entry as of today), but thatís a longer term hold as well.
I had to sell half of my SLV calls today. They were up 3-400% Holding the rest but they are far out strikes.

Quote:
I'm like a fart in the wind. I basically look for whatever pattern is currently working. Lately it's been super high volume stocks and the run after hours and super early pre-market. This is obviously just day trades.

Longer term I don't do much except holding a few SPAC plays like FVAC and CCXX.

Swings I change up but only do when a sector is hot and should be hot for a long time. Vaccine plays been doing great. Getting in is the hard part. I've picked a few non movers and bought/waited for the news. Still waiting on some like CLBS, AKER
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #195
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Quote:
Just curious why? What's reason that you think it will drop and the timeframe it's going to drop in?
Tesla is more than likely going to make a secondary offering of stock in order to have more available for the funds that have to own it on the S&P 500 once they get in. That will dilute the market and bring the price down.

Article I read today said this could happen within a few weeks.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #196
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Answering my own question to put one of my research strategies out there:

Look for the following stocks
Percentage below 52 week high: Less than 5%
Price: Greater than 10
Ave Volume: Greater than 100,000
Price change last 3 months: Greater than 1
Price distance above SMA 20 days: Just above, Moderately above, far above

That gives me all the stocks hitting 52 week highs. From there I put that into a spreadsheet to do a pivot table and get a count on the sectors and industries. Gives me a good quick way to see what's the hot sector.

From there further research stocks in those sectors. I try to find good quality stocks in the hot sector. Fundamentals I perfer:
5 yr annual rev growth > 15%
1 year rev growth > 12%
Gross margins > 35%
Net Margin > 15%
Debt to equity < 50%
Return on equity > 15%
Normalized PE < 25% (or at least < the industry average)
current yield > 2%
5 yr dividend growth > 10%
Options - yes

Once I find a good stock, i look at the technicals to see if it's a good time to buy. Am I too late to the game or still have room to run. Criteria:
Price above 20 day SMA
MACD increasing
RSI - above 50 and increasing
Sometimes will look at the stochastics as well. Looking for them to be above 50 and increasing also.

Usually will hold these until price drops below the 20 day SMA, MACD lines cross, and RSI goes below 50. Sometimes I set trailing stops to get me out when at 1.5 or 2x the ATR amount. So it can peak and pull back some and I stay in but if it pulls back too much it automatically gets me out.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #197
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Tesla is more than likely going to make a secondary offering of stock in order to have more available for the funds that have to own it on the S&P 500 once they get in. That will dilute the market and bring the price down.

Article I read today said this could happen within a few weeks.
good reason. Was mostly wondering if it was all speculation or if you had more info. I quit following TSLA last time I tried to short it and lost money. I never had good info it was all speculation and I was wrong.

I rarely short stocks anymore because of it. I use options when I want to make a bearish bet on a stock and limit my risk of losses because I was wrong.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #198
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here lately I am mostly swing trading based on momentum. Find the big runs early on and sell before the pull backs. I keep a large chunk steady in long term stocks with dividends also. Better returns on swing trades so far but it canít be easy forever. If it was everyone would do it for a living
Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #199
BigL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here lately I am mostly swing trading based on momentum. Find the big runs early on and sell before the pull backs. I keep a large chunk steady in long term stocks with dividends also. Better returns on swing trades so far but it canít be easy forever. If it was everyone would do it for a living
I used to do a lot of swing trading. Was good while it lasted but job duties changed and can't watch as much as I used to. Still do a little when I get the chance.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #200
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
That was kind of sarcastic but I just cant figure this stock out nor how its valuation is being justified. It just seems to me the bubble will burst at some point. Reminds me of the dotcom days with this one. Ive talk with some really smart people who do this for a living and they havent been able to give me any good reason this stock is where it is. It could very well be Im wrong and will be kicking myself as it continues to growing exponentially.