Camper Purchase Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper Purchase Help

The wife and I are thinking about buying a camper/travel trailer. My camping experiences are Fun-Times Van related in the 80's!!! There are too many options with tooo many layouts!!! We are budget focused but open to 30K max. I'd prefer a 5th wheel but wouldn't rule out a bumper pull either. Younger kids (9&5) and would like a separate room/sleeping area for them and they have requested bunk beds....

What does the GS recommend and advise when purchasing a camper??

Lots of options out there. Good luck.

Comment

get one with slide outs and master bedroom in front, bunks in back. Lot's of designs for that. Get an outdoor kitchen area...under the canopy. have fun.

Comment

Values drop quickly untul about year 4 or 5, then slower and steady until year 10, then fast again. Keep that in mind when buying used and possibly wanting to resell later.

All the preference details vary drastically on exact usage style; living in it, few weekend trips a year, deer camp, several week long trips, etc.

Kitchen wrap around countertops are nice if trips are longer, plenty of room to lay everything out and actually cook.

I dont see a need for an outdoor kitchen unless you are frying stuff.

2 ACs are a must in Texas heat if rv is over 30ft
        Ducting helps quiet ACs, they are very loud otherwise. I sleep through anything so didnt bother me either way.

Tinted windows are worth it.

Big awnings are nice but forget about using it if its windy.

Fridge can almost never be big enough.

King beds are generally higher desired in resell.

If you have a shortbed get a slider hitch or look specifically for models with curved fronts that allow for tighter turning.

$30k will get you a very nice lightly used 5th wheel. Seems the quality has a big increase over 26k. I'd be more willing to buy one that was used a ton vs one that sat around

Comment

Just bought on a few weeks ago. Kids are grown, so mostly the wife and I. We bought a transferable 5 year warranty for $2500. Our thought was it may help it sell, if we decide to sell it. If you have 1 a/c unit make sure it's a 15 not a 13.5, like previous post if its bigger you going to want 2 units.

Comment

Bunkhouse style camper with two Ac’s. I enjoy the outdoor kitchen for the tv and fridge/sink. I’d buy bigger than I thought I would need, like a shop.

Comment

Camper Purchase Help

Buying campers is just like boats and even trucks- find a model you like and has good reviews then shop and make offers all over the state. Don’t go to the nearest dealer and fall victim, don’t buy the crazy warranties and protections etc. Offer about $5k lower than list price out the door and stick to it, eventually someone will accept. I drove 3 hours to get my last one but they took the offer and it was well worth it. My brand preference is keystone and I have owned or been part of several other brands and keystone has been great for me and a few other keystone brands in our extended family.

I’ve seen allot of great deals on slightly used 5th wheels because there is less demand but most aren’t bunk house type

My kids are same age and this stuff is a blast! You won’t regret it

Here ya go! Same dealer I bought from

Keystone Sprinter Campfire Edition fifth wheel 29FWBH highlights: Private Bunkhouse Double Entry Bath Bench Seat 40" HDTV Power Stabilizer Jacks Just imagine this Sprinter Campfire Edition fifth wheel...
              Last edited by Saltaholic; 07-05-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Dang, come up with 50k[emoji851]

My daughter’s varsity assistant softball coach bought one a year or so ago and now she is wanting me to find her a house but needs to sell her travel trailer.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Find a good Airstream other wise you will regret it

Comment

Buy one as you described, their out there.

Comment

Buy used u can get a very nice one for ways less than your budget and have enought left over to put up a cover to keep it under

Comment

For that budget, you can find a lightly used model.

Only must haves I would look for are 2 ac units and a roomy bathroom.

In-laws have one with a back bedroom that has slides on both sides and it’s awesome. Makes like a 12x12 room with them out. But it has a tiny bathroom. It’s literally a challenge to wipe your butt because you are up against a wall.

Comment

We are looking for almost the exact same set up, my suggestion is to wait 6 months. There are a lot of folks who bought RV's the past 3 months that are going to realize RV's are not for them. This is our current hierarchy of brands we are going with.

1. Jayco (Strongest frames out there, best features and overall quality, intelligent construction)
                          2. Grand Design (Better quality than Jayco, but you pay for it)
                          3. Forest River (Cheaper than Jayco, but the quality drop shows. We currently have a small one)

I have found a couple new 2018 bumper pulls that aren't our perfect layout, but are 5-8k cheaper than their 2020 counterparts. In fact, the Jayco's are under 30k for the 36BHOK (Bunk House Outdoor Kitchen). When we get back to Houston, we are probably going to purchase one and add the bits we want.

One other thing to consider. Half tons are not meant to pull much more then 26'. Even with a load distributing hitch. "Half ton towable" 5th wheels really aren't unless you have a fully loaded regular cab long bed half ton, and don't bring your water or family with you.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                            Dang, come up with 50k[emoji851]

My daughter’s varsity assistant softball coach bought one a year or so ago and now she is wanting me to find her a house but needs to sell her travel trailer.

Comment

There lots of options and opportunity to buy junk. Do a lot of research and don't buy anything related to Forest River based on my experience with that brand.

Comment

Working...
                              X