Transporting and Keeping Bass Alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transporting and Keeping Bass Alive

Looking for opinions on best way to hold and transport bass alive without having a boat with a built in livewell. A little background info, our family has property south of Winnie, Texas that has several reservoirs ranging from 240-640 acres. Historically we had bass, crappie, bluegill in them. Hurricane Ike hit and we had a 16 foot storm surge that filled the reservoirs with saltwater and along with the saltwater came redfish and even some trout and flounder. We could catch 75 redfish in an evening standing from the small dock. The Corps of Engineers were made aware of this somehow and informed us that we must drain it or it would be deemed a saltwater wetlands and we would basically lose the right to alter the land in anyway.

So about 8 years ago we had drained it and we waited a couple years until the salinity levels got down to a manageable level and we filled it back up and stocked it with bass, crappie and bluegill. The biologist said that we need to keep 1500-2000 bass out of it a year to keep it at good numbers, which we have done a poor job of. I have been going pretty often this Spring/Summer and the numbers are still through the roof, but we aren't catching anything of much size, upper end bass are 4-5 pounds. Typically most afternoons when I go, we'll catch 40-50 bass all on topwaters in just a couple hours. I keep about a dozen every other time or so, but I can only eat so much bass.

What I am wanting to do is get something that I can leave in the bed of the truck while we are fishing that is capable of holding 20-40 fish at a time for several hours, that I can then drive to friends/families property that have ponds that I can release the fish into rather than just keeping and cleaning all those fish. What would ya'll suggest to keep these fish in that they would stay alive for 3-4 hours while I fish and then transport them to a new location within 30-40 miles from there?

I've attached some pics of the last time we went out there about a week and a half ago.
    Attached Files

You could seal up an old chest freezer and add air lines. Could also get some of the 200+ gallon tanks at tractor supply, paint them black and add air. 225 Gal Tank

Or you could invite TBH to come fish. We could take care of it for you in a week.
    Last edited by Looney Tatonka; 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Sent you a text.

Rwc

Comment

It would take 400 to 500 gallons plus air to do what you want. 400 gallons of water is over 3000lb.

Comment

Get one of those 275 white totes with the cage around them. Cut out top and and add oxygen stone and pure oxygen. This is worst time of year to transport bass. Do it when water temps are below 70.

Comment

Have boat and pole. Will travel the short distance to Winnie if help is needed

Comment

If you have some extra ill pay you for some live bass I live in winnie.
              Last edited by Medina19; 06-29-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

What you're describing sounds like heaven to me. I'd have to fish it myself before making any kind of recommendation.....

Comment

wow, good problems to have. i would have told the Corp to go pound sand and lawyer up.

i would vote the big water totes that come in the metal cage with some 12 volt bubblers. expect to lose some do to stress for sure.

Comment

We bought a big black plastic horse trough from tractor supply, an aerator, and a bilge pump. We bilged water from my boss's pond in Winnie into the trough. We'd get it about 3/4 full and put the aerator in there. We probably moved 120 fish in 2 trips with that thing. Bass, white perch mostly. I was moving them from Winnie to Beaumont. We were bank fishing a 2 acre pond, and putting the fish in buckets to haul them to the truck.

Comment

Did you have massive pumps to drain the lakes, or open up dams? Are you on a river to fill them up back up, or massive well?

To your original question, lots of bass tournament use live release tanks sometimes mounted on trailers. If you want to redneck engineer how about a hot tub?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                        Did you have massive pumps to drain the lakes, or open up dams? Are you on a river to fill them up back up, or massive well?

To your original question, lots of bass tournament use live release tanks sometimes mounted on trailers. If you want to redneck engineer how about a hot tub?
                        The levy was cut by the Corps to drain the reservoir. This reservoir is bordered by Spindletop Bayou and we have a big diesel pump to fill it, plus rain water which we have plenty of down here.

Comment

YouTube is pretty helpful with this. I remember seeing a Deermeatfordinner video with him transporting large amounts of live bait fish.

Comment

A couple of years ago I had a neighbor kill all of the fish out of our pond by killing all of the grass out of it at once in the middle of July. I've been slowly restocking from friends lakes with a 110 quart rtic and a battery powered aerator. I bet I've had 10 small bass and 10 big bluegill in it at once with no issues. In fact the fish seem more lively when I get them home. That's transporting them about 40 miles.

I would imagine you could do anything like this just on a bigger scale. I would just suggest freezing a milk jug full of your lake water before hand and keeping it in with the fish.. The colder water holds oxygen much better than warm water. Also replacing with fresh water right before you make the haul.

Comment

Thought about guiding? Or letting folks pay a day-fish fee?

Catching and live-transporting sounds like a heck of a lot more work than just filleting them and giving away what you can't eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X