No announcement yet.

Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always have a difficult time understanding why people find it so hard to take responsibilty in situations like this. Laws were broken, you were caught, accept it and move on. Doesn't matter if you knew you were breaking a law or not, it is our responsibility to know the law, not the LEO's responsibility to interpret if we knew it or not.

Comment

I have several GW buddies with whom I am able to spend a good deal of time talking about their "war stories" and lives as a GW. Through them, I have learned that the practice of working with other LE such as DPS is extremely common. Obviously, DPS has much more opportunity to call their TPWD counterparts to the scene of a possible infraction. Being that it was opening weekend of bow season and I-20 being a major artery for returning hunters, this was going to happen to someone at least once and possibly multiple times.

The License log hasn't been around long but is now the most common citation issued by a GW. The quartering/final destination law has been around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dru View Post
        I'm also good for $10. Legdog provided a lesson for others and should not have to pay for it all.

Can someone set up a fund?

Sorry for being late, my PC is dragging this morning.

I got a speeding ticket for driving 80 in a 55. You're lesson today is don't speed when there is a posted speed limit. I hope my lesson has helped others.

Can someone set up a fund for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          I can see the ticket for not filling out the log on the back, that's almost 5 years old now and they issued A LOT of warnings the 1st couple years. The other one I really don't get, given that all the meat was still there and you guys were up front with them.

It happens.

That trooper appears to be the one that worked the wreck me and some buddies were in right there 3 years ago. Nice guy.
          x10 but I can say I had no idea about the quartering issue either. We always debone our mule deer before coming back from west texas to save on room. Had we ever been checked we would have been ticketed too I am sure.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law. The game violations were rules that have been on the book for many years and as Dale pointed out on the log issue at first they did issue many warnings.

I can see the reason the tropper gave Michael a warning over being given a ticket. He had no idea the plate was gone until the trooper stopped him. Had it been Michael's registration or his inspection sticker been out for several months he would have gotten a ticket and not just a warning. I have gotten warning for my trailer lights before that were not working yet solely because of the ground. Have even had trooper follow me some distance to verify story once they started to work.

What I think sucks about the whole issue is that everyone is loosing trust in the guys hired to enforce our game laws and here everyone is loosing faith in them for doing their job. I have had several bad run ins with one GW who is now retied. I have made no secret of that and even though he was an *** it never made me less appreciative of the job they do or make me less inclined to go to one for assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post

Sec. 42.018. TAG TO BE ATTACHED TO DEER.

(e) Final processing for a deer carcass may occur only at a final destination.

(f) This section does not prohibit a person before delivering a deer carcass to a final destination from removing and preparing a part of the deer if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed.
            http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat.../hunt/carcass/
            Processing Carcass in Camp
            You are allowed to prepare for immediate consumption and eat all or a part of a properly tagged wildlife resource while in camp; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts.

Line of defense for the processing!

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
              I always have a difficult time understanding why people find it so hard to take responsibilty in situations like this. Laws were broken, you were caught, accept it and move on. Doesn't matter if you knew you were breaking a law or not, it is our responsibility to know the law, not the LEO's responsibility to interpret if we knew it or not.
              I accept that I made an error and broke not one but two laws.

I take complete responsibility for my oversight.

I hoped I made that clear already.

Obviously the game warden had a choice to cite me or issue a warning. Its no big deal.

Thanks for the offers to help pay the fine. The sentiment is appreciated but will not be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
                I got a speeding ticket for driving 80 in a 55. You're lesson today is don't speed when there is a posted speed limit. I hope my lesson has helped others.

I hear a dog whining!

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post

When the posted speed limit went from 80 to 55 were you uncertain of your responsibility slow down and stop endangering the lives of your fellow motorist?

Put me down for $20, I’ll cover Stupid’s part.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                    I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws.

>E
                    It's apples and oranges, but since you drew the (bad) analogy...

For every infraction that's doled out, there are many, many more threads or posts that are simply deleted. In many cases, warnings are given instead of infractions. In most cases, there is some judgement of intent or past history in determining whether an infraction is given, or the level of the infraction. I'm certain I've exercised poor judgement a time or two, however.

As I stated before, the officers certainly weren't wrong. I think they could have used better judgement, perhaps by only giving one infraction, or possibly none, but that's just my opinion, and I don't think I'm wrong for voicing it here. That said, I don't think they're bad guys or mean spirited at all for issuing the citations.

Michael
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                      I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws.

>E

For every infraction that's doled out, there are many, many more threads or posts that are simply deleted. In many cases, warnings are given instead of infractions. In most cases, there is some judgement of intent or past history in determining whether an infraction is given, or the level of the infraction. I'm certain I've exercised poor judgement a time or two, however.

As I stated before, the officers certainly weren't wrong. I think they could have used better judgement, perhaps by only giving one infraction, or possibly none, but that's just my opinion, and I don't think I'm wrong for voicing it here. That said, I don't think they're bad guys or mean spirited at all for issuing the citations.

Michael
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Question 1. What if they had consumed all the meat in camp and only had a tagged head?
                        Question 2. What if the meat had been left in quarters but just had the bone removed?
                        Question 3. What if the entire deer had been consumed and the head had been discarded but still had some blood in coolers and just a tag?

Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Michael
                          Double post! Are you post padding again Michael?

Comment

Did either of you 2 mention...

"Its all about the video"

Where's the dash cam footage?

Comment

I've slept on it, and I still think it's just a really unfortunate deal, Leggy and Michael. You guys obviously had every intent of being responsible, ethical, and legal hunters, and you were trying to show respect and friendliness to the LEOs you encountered. The LEOs were apparently trying to uphold their duties in a respectful manner as well. The end result is incredibly unfortunate. I have no idea what was in the heads of any of the LEOs involved, so who knows? Just one of those things that will someday make a funny story, while at the same time being one of those "experiences" that teach you something that you'd just as soon not need to know in the first place, I guess.

On a side note, I don't see much need for any of the TBH crowd to be piling on you guys. I'm sure that if it had been any of the rest of us that got ticketed yesterday, we'd all feel very similar to the way you guys feel today.
                              Last edited by Shane; 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Live and learn. All of us TBHers can take something from this. Sorry for the tickets, but congrats on the doe.

Comment

Working...
                                X