X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lmao hilly....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      I just cannot make sense of this comment. If you're "legal", what's not to trust about a GW?
      because even if you think you are legal, you might not be... and it will cost you time and $$$

not remembering to follow proceedure is no excuse

Comment

I was dove hunting with a friend of mine and his 15 yr old step son a couple of weeks ago and the friend had to go take care of some business and left his step son with me. Later on the GW showed up and the step son's license was in my friends truck. The GW was super nice about the whole thing and checked in to see if the 15 yr old had a license and the person the he talked with couldn't find anything showing that he did have a license. We assured the GW that he did indeed have one and the GW only gave him a warning. We talked a while and he mentioned he had written a ticket at this same field to a young man that didn't have a hunter safety certificate. He said that the young man was very polite and accepted the ticket without any problem. Then he told me he had made a call to the judge and aksed him to go easy on the kid. Maybe your GWs could, or did do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
          because even if you think you are legal, you might not be... and it will cost you time and $$$
          What does that have to do with "trust" in the GW?? Sounds more like he doesn't trust himself to know all the game laws.
          Last edited by Fishndude; 10-06-2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              It's un-fortunate that people feel this way. When what you should be taking away from this situation is to tag all your deer properly, fill out the log correctly, and don't process the deer past quartering until you get home.

I agree totally, each animal harvested should be filled out and documented correctly, but in Leggies case, he was totally unaware of any wrong doing, just proud of his harvest.
              I myself am no expert on all of the game laws that are required of hunters, and would be kicking myself if in an attempt to show off an animal I had harvested ended up receiving multiple citations.
              By no means am I condoning ignorance of the law, but like I said I am no expert on every single rule.
              Unless you are 100% sure that every aspect of your harvest is correctly documented, my advise is to just keep the small talk to a minimum.

Comment

I just cannot make sense of this comment. If you're "legal", what's not to trust about a GW?
                Because most of them are..., nevermind. This whole thread is hillarious!
                Dave

Comment

What does that have to do with "trust" in the GW??
                  ~sigh~

It has everything to do with trust.

The Gamewarden is paid to find things wrong and enforce the law. For example, if you take a deer and your license is in camp, you can not trust the gamewarden to understand that you intend to promptly tag your animal after loading it in your truck and driving it to the cleaning station. You can not trust the game warden to understand you forgot to put an ink pen in your back pack or that you have a zip tie in camp and will attach the tag there.

The stories are scattered all through this thread. You would be foolish to trust the gamewarden to ever give a warning or allow any kind of reasonable leniency. Have the pen on you ready to fill out the tag where the game crashes or you should expect to be fined.

Comment

VERY interesting thread! Although I've never been cited by a GW, I have been stopped by them numerous times and they check everything out! I would have to say that if I didn't have my log filled out, I'd expect the citation. I didn't know about the other law. Now I do!

As for those that are bashing Michael and Steven for "whining", get real! Don't we all whine when we get a speeding ticket? I know I do! These 2 men are very respected around here for many reasons. They have added a lot of good info and helped a lot of people along the way.

I doubt the 2 GW's would dare comment on this thread, but maybe if they're bow hunters, they will eventually sign up and help us out in the future by reminding us of rules. I for one, think this is an excellent post!!! From the pictures, it looks as if the GW's enjoyed good conversation with the guys and I doubt that Michael and Steven have lost ANY respect for LEO's!

Lastly, I say that any TBH member that gets cited for one of these infractions after reading this thread should be sent to banned camp for a week!

Comment

~sigh~

The Gamewarden is paid to find things wrong and enforce the law. For example, if you take a deer and your license is in camp, you can not trust the gamewarden to understand that you intend to promptly tag your animal after loading it in your truck and driving it to the cleaning station. You can not trust the game warden to understand you forgot to put an ink pen in your back pack or that you have a zip tie in camp and will attach the tag there.

The stories are scattered all through this thread. You would be foolish to trust the gamewarden to ever give a warning or allow any kind of reasonable leniency. Have the pen on you ready to fill out the tag where the game crashes or you should expect to be fined.

I don't think those scenarios fall under trust, but that's purely my opinion. The laws are very clear.

Out of pure curiosity, have you filled out the log on the back of your license for deer you've shot in the last 5 years?

Comment

Who here would honestly say the GWs would not be 'doing their jobs' had they given Steven a warning instead of a citation???

Steven and Michael were not 'ignorant' of the broken laws. Ignorance implies a conscious attempt to break the law! How many of you are aware of every single traffic law?

IMO- the GWs p***ed on Steven' back with a smile on their faces. It's not a great feeling when you try to be a law-abiding citizen and a GW (who HAS discretion!) gives you the third degree for an arbitrary regulation (if it is indeed designed to 'protect the hunter').

Steven, I hope the tickets get dismissed and I hope you take a copy of this thread to the hearing!

Comment

What does that have to do with "trust" in the GW?? Sounds more like he doesn't trust himself to know all the game laws.
                          ~sigh~

SIGH!!!!!!!!

Thanks for helping to make my point. All you keep saying is you hope the GW forgives you for not abiding by the game laws when you get caught. Sorry, it didn't work out that way for you. This has ZERO to do with trust in a GW.

Comment

WOW!!!! Can't a man be bummed about a ticket without 5 pages of hammering for not liking it........Congrats on the doe Leggy. Oh and if its any consolation prior to this thread I know someone who may have been in violation of the lisc. log. They said thank you.

Comment

This thread has been good in that it has brought out issues that all hunters should be aware of. I dug out my Outdoor Annual last night and it dang sure says that the tag stays with the carcass. Probably saved me a fine down the road. We always skin and quarter and put them on ice. I am going to find a suitable waterproof pouch for my tag and it will be on the carcass in the ice chest. Thanks for pointing that out Charlie.

Comment

hate to interrupt the contest with something positive, but.....

here's a handy tip.....

I carry a sharpie with electrical tape wrapped around it. (and a backup)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pen 022 [640x480].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	23902935

Comment

Working...
                                X