Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 CM vs .308

Gents,

Looking at a new bolt action, sub 16.5" bbl, to run suppressed as an all around hunting rifle. Primary user will be me, but wife and kids will be behind it sometimes as well. Primary targets will be coyote-hog-deer, with hopes for the occasional elk. I don't anticpate ever stretching it past 400 yds hunting, maybe 6-800 on target range.

For a long time I was planning on this being a .308. Now I'm on the fence and leaning toward the Creedmoor. I'm not a fanboy, never even shot one, but it just seems to have a lot going for it from a recoil and ballistics standpoint. And it is now past the fad stage that I was worried about. But then wobble right back the other way thinking .308 might be the way to go due to more frontal area for knockdown, possibly better short barrel efficiency, slightly lighter rifle due to bore diameter, and longer barrel life.

I want the best of both worlds, just don't know which gets closest to that.
    Thoughts?

Really looking forward to feedback from folks experienced with both calibers, but within the set parameters please. Not interested in suggestions to look at different barrel lengths, weapon platforms, or some other pet calibers.

308. I hate the caliber, but in such a short barrel it just out performs the 6.5 easily. Then again I don’t like the 6.5 either haha stick with the lighter projectiles 125-155 class, and you can push them enough to be semi efficient for the barrel length. Personally I’d keep it to 16” to avoid the stamp and minimize velocity loss somewhat.
    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 07-07-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Reload or factory ammo? Running suppressed and shorter barrel 308 imo will out perform 6.5, and have better selections in factory subsonic loads.

Comment

308. 1-9/1-10 twist if possible. Can do subsonic ammo for annoying pigs and full power loads with lighter bullets for dropping deer.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
          308. 1-9/1-10 twist if possible. Can do subsonic ammo for annoying pigs and full power loads with lighter bullets for dropping deer.
          ^^^^^^^ This!

Comment

I’ve got a 6.5 and a couple .30-06’s, but the more I read about 7mm-08 the more there is to like.

Comment

Dang it, let me correct myself. It will be a 16.5" bbl. Not going for a stamp on this. Also not planning to shoot sub-sonic. No idea why I have "sub" in the original post.

Comment

If you throw elk in there ,I would go 308.

Comment

Read this article: https://www.recoilweb.com/baby-barre...le-154581.html

No reason to overthink this, but a 7-08 would be right between the two if that's where you decide you'd like to end up. It is a .308 case with a higher BC bullet as we all know.

Good luck!
                  Last edited by mzurovec; 07-07-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I have both 308 is custom built 6.5 is a creedmoore love them both but for deer it's my 308

Comment

I overthought this same exact thing. Ended up taking a Tikka Lite 308, chopping and rethreading to 16.25” and couldn’t be happier. It’s hell on anything it hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                        I overthought this same exact thing. Ended up taking a Tikka Lite 308, chopping and rethreading to 16.25” and couldn’t be happier. It’s hell on anything it hits.

That’s slick!

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                          That’s slick!
                          Yup, that’s kinda sexy!

Comment

I have a shorter 308 with can and actually shoot super and sub ammo. Just dial a few MOA on the scope and can go to 200 yards sub easy. I know you don’t want subs but nice to have if you want to shoot a pig or something and keep hinting for other animals. Either will work in shorty but 308 might edge out 6.5 at that lengh .

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post

What threads were you able to put on it? Didn’t think those had enough meat to get 5/8 with a shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                              X