Gunsmithing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunsmithing help

I inherited this Mauser 98 barreled action/bolt today that was made in 44, it has been re-barreled to 3006 but I cannot for the life of me locate this rear sight base to know what kind of rear sight mounts on it. It’s mounted where the express rear sight would be. The numbers on top are 2258. Would like to get it shooting. Any ideas as to what this is? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unertl maybe??

Any way to skip using the bbl mount & mount on the action traditionally??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Unertl maybe??

Any way to skip using the bbl mount & mount on the action traditionally??
      I’ll look that up. I wouldn’t mind that but I’ve tried backing the screws out, even with heat and wasn’t able to break them free. I would have to drill and possibly grind at this point.

Comment

Cajun? I need your expertise

Comment

A pic of the whole barreled action might help some

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

2258 stamped on the barrel mounted base was likely done to match the last 4 digits of SN. The bolt body and several other locations on rifle could also be stamped 2258. The barrel mounted block base looks custom made, flat on all sides, and does not appear to have dovetail grooves. Therefore dovetail rings won’t fit it. If there is no rear scope mount base on the action, the barrel base could have used for a “scout” mounted scope. Any mounts or scope rings will have to be flat on bottom with proper 2-hole spacing to fit perfectly onto the base.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              2258 stamped on the barrel mounted base was likely done to match the last 4 digits of SN. The bolt body and several other locations on rifle could also be stamped 2258. The barrel mounted block base looks custom made, flat on all sides, and does not appear to have dovetail grooves. Therefore dovetail rings won’t fit it. If there is no rear scope mount base on the action, the barrel base could have used for a “scout” mounted scope. Any mounts or scope rings will have to be flat on bottom with proper 2-hole spacing to fit perfectly onto the base.
              Thanks, I tried to unscrew the allens, even after applying heat they wouldn’t budge. I then drilled them out and backed the three screw posts out, gonna order a New England custom rear express sight to mount to the barrel and plug the other two holes.

I’m really excited about this build. Thanks for the info.

Comment

You could either drill the receiver for common K98 mounts. Or if you really want a rear sight on that pad, if you can't find anything that looks like it has two mounting holes side by side like that. Find something that looks like it should match up with the front sight. Then drill or machine and drill the pad for the new rear sight. Got to get creative at this point. You have plenty of metal there to mount a rear sight on, if you really want a rear sight there, find what you like and make it work.

Comment

Has the bolt been turned down to accommodate a receiver mounted scope.

Comment

Working...
                  X