Cement or not for fence posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cement or not for fence posts

I’m torn between building 300’ of metal fencing or wood fencing. If I go metal it’ll be 3” square posts and 3 rails of 2” square tubing on end. If I go wood it’ll be 4x6” posts with 4 corral board rails.

I’ve heard all my life to not cement in wood fence posts. I’ve gone both routes, cementing and tamping in the removed dirt. The only treated wood fence posts I’ve seen rot were ones I didn’t set.

I know some of you have opinions on this. I’m also thinking about using some fence paint on the posts before I set them. I’ll paint the rails too. I plan on using Gardner-Gibson fence black asphalt paint.

I would use the paint and concrete the corner post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would go the metal route and concrete. The next time you need to replace the fence your great great great grandkids will be doing it.

Comment

It's a no brainer, metal post in concrete. Budget would be the only deciding factor.

Comment

If it's not solid rock, metal and driver. More material but it wont move and it's so fast.

Comment

I can afford to build it either way and can have it up in a couple of weeks or less if I go with wood. Metal will be a lot more work. And learning to mig weld will be a process so the build will definitely take longer.

Comment

Metal all day. I hate wood fences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That cement will need some water and aggregate.......

Comment

I would use metal post either way. The maintenance cost would pay for it. For rails I am not sure.

Comment

Metal! Screw a wood fence.

Comment

We just built a cedar log fence and instead of using concrete I used the new post hole foam that comes in gallon jugs. I will never use concrete again. This stuff is called Flintstone Foam and the posts set within 30 mins. Use a drill with an agitator on it and mix equal parts and pour it in the hole. Impervious to ground water and you can't beat it off a post with a sledge hammer. 6 inch cedar logs sunk 18" in the ground. Buddy did a cedar plank fence with galv. posts and used the same stuff. He said it took days off his job.

Comment

Kerrbow where did you get the Flintstone Foam from?

Comment

To set the posts, this is suppose to work very well and a lot easier if you ever have to remove it. Read the reviews. They have it at Home Depot

Sika Fence Post Mix

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                            Kerrbow where did you get the Flintstone Foam from?
                            Friend of mine here in Kerrville is a dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                              That cement will need some water and aggregate.......
                              I think that's called concrete.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is concreting the post all the way to the top of the hole. Much stronger if you only go about half way. Try pulling a few done like that and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X