Best bass lure for the Comal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bass lure for the Comal

I'll be there on the river for a week and because all tube rentals, outfitters, transit, and public access will be closed, due to Abbott, I figure it will be a good time to fish.. It should be strangely quiet..
    I'm spooled with 8 pound fluorocarbon. Any tips would be appreciated.

Took a number of vacations at The Other Place in the '70s, never had much luck fishing due to all the traffic I suppose. I'd probably start with smaller "finesse" baits due to water clarity, maybe some soft plastics. We mostly snorkled and chased the sucker fish that river is (used to be?) full of.

Stu

Comment

Rebel makes some crawdad lurers, that have a bill, so they dive. The crawfish swims backwards like they actually do. They seem to make some serious vibrations that really bring fish in fast and hard. They come in two or three different sizes and colors. I use the light colored one, in the largest size. Pretty deadly on Guadalupe bass, everywhere I have used them. They will also set off various forms of pan fish, sun fish, blue gill, ECT.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        Rebel makes some crawdad lurers, that have a bill, so they dive. The crawfish swims backwards like they actually do. They seem to make some serious vibrations that really bring fish in fast and hard. They come in two or three different sizes and colors. I use the light colored one, in the largest size. Pretty deadly on Guadalupe bass, everywhere I have used them. They will also set off various forms of pan fish, sun fish, blue gill, ECT.
        I have a couple.. Rebel Wee Craws..

Comment

Beetle spins and roadrunners. Never fished the Comal but those are deadly on the Guadalupe.

Comment

I would bring a crawfish trap and use them as live bait. You wouldn’t believe all the food they have it’s crazy. I spear fish the river about once every 2 weeks or so. I don’t ever hardly waste my time fishing for Bass because they have so much forage in the river. When I have bass fished, finesse or “smaller” baits resembling crawfish seem to do best.

Something else to think about would be an ultralight with worms for rio grande’s. There’s quite a few.
            Last edited by diamond10x; 06-29-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              I have a couple.. Rebel Wee Craws..
              A buddy told me about them, they work great. I love seeing a flash shoot out of somewhere, heading towards my lure.

There is another thing you might try, but it can get expensive. On Loop 337/46, near Common St. there is a River Side Grocery or something along those lines. On the same side of the road, there is a car wash, across the side street. They sell live bait. They have minnows of all sizes, gold fish and a gold fish hybrid called a black salty. The dang larger bass love those black saltys. I had them clean three off of my hook in less than 90 seconds I bet. I think it was the same greedy fish. I don't know how he was ripping them off so quick, but he did. I caught some good fish on those, but then I think one fish kept cleaning my hook off. It was a good sized fish, he had my rod bent over ripping drag for a short time, before getting off. Finding lily pads and chunking those black saltys right next to them is kind of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                I would bring a crawfish trap and use them as live bait. You wouldn’t believe all the food they have it’s crazy. I spear fish the river about once every 2 weeks or so. I don’t ever hardly waste my time fishing for Bass because they have so much forage in the river. When I have bass fished, finesse or “smaller” baits resembling crawfish seem to do best.

Something else to think about would be an ultralight with worms for rio grande’s. There’s quite a few.
                Great Idea.. Yea we have been going for many years and I never fish because of the crowds. We snorkel so I know what you mean about the bait.. They aren't going hungry.. Ive watched guys on paddle boards catch some nice size bass early..

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

Are you spear fishing from the bank? Or are you in the water spearing?

Comment

I’m headed up there today and staying a Camp Warneke for a couple days. I figure traffic will be light too. At least I am hoping so. I’m gonna bring a couple ultra lights with some small spinners, beetle spin, rooster tail type things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fluke jr. in natural colors on a small jig head would be my choice

Comment

We fished the comal a few times several years back. Those fish are pretty smart in the gin clear water. Sight casting seemed like a waste of time.

We had decent luck with bass in the morning and evening using smaller spinner baits, rattle traps and plastic worms. Those bass do have tons of cover, even smack dab in the middle of the river. Seems like a bit slower retrieve and getting the bait closer the bottom down by the cover was the ticket. I agree with the comments above that those bass have plenty of food. We never killed it, but were able to catch 2-3 fish between a couple people fishing an hour or so each morning/evening.

There's also a fair amount of catfish in that river. If you can find a spot that doesn't have too much trash/vegetation on the bottom, throwing chicken livers at night can yield a few cats.

Perch and brim are plentiful as well. Seems like night crawlers or bread balls suspended under a cork along the banks was the ticket there.
                        Last edited by CaptainDave; 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Spinners

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            Beetle spins and roadrunners. Never fished the Comal but those are deadly on the Guadalupe.
                            They are deadly everywhere. Love em

Comment

Used to fish it a lot when I was going to college at SWTSU...plastic jerk baits rigged weedless were killer on the bass.

Comment

Working...
                              X