Lake Whitney fishing and catching bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Whitney fishing and catching bait

We are headed to Lake Whitney in a couple of days to do some general relaxation. I will be taking boat and doing some fishing. I was wondering if anyone had a fishing report and specifically a good place to net some shad to go hopefully find the stripers.

Years ago when I used to fish it , I remember the Guides getting their bait from Aquila. I believe that’s the lake.

Comment

Shad are in the backs of creeks in the morning. I filled my live wells in just a few cast of my net last weekend. If you go too far back you get a net full of baby channel cats and you'll be there for a while picking the little things out of your net.

Comment

Thanks for info. We are staying at Cliffview so will probably check backs of coves around there for shad at sunrise.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneHuntinAgain View Post
          Thanks for info. We are staying at Cliffview so will probably check backs of coves around there for shad at sunrise.
          Lotta steep banks back in that cove. If you don't have any luck, head north up toward the island and Murts boat ramp area just past big rocky creek. Lots of shallow shore line around there as well as the road bed out to the island.
          Stripers love perch too. Just catch a mess of em around the boat docks. They're a helluva lot easier to keep alive too! Cut shad sure is good for ol Mr. Whiskers tho. Good luck!

Comment

We fished it this past Saturday. Found TONS of small stripers with a few whites mixed in schooling up top. Mostly up where Towash comes in. They were all over the entire bay area there to the state park. Fun on topwaters....

Comment

. How is the Cliffview with the new owners, it’s been a few years that we stand there

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                . How is the Cliffview with the new owners, it’s been a few years that we stand there
                This is our first time there so i will let you know.

Comment

Cool deal, good luck. it’s a great lake I need to start going back.

Comment

Any Whitney fishing reports or any other suggestions on bait?
                    Is there anyone who sells perch on Whitney?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                      Years ago when I used to fish it , I remember the Guides getting their bait from Aquila. I believe that’s the lake.
                      That stopped with zebra mussels and the clean drain and dry rules, haven't seen the fish attractor running at aquillla last few months anyways. If you buy bait somewhere gotta keep the receipt now to prove you didn't net elsewhere and transport.

Comment

I love that lake. Spent a little time off the west side always caught something off the bank
                        Lots of different species. Nothing big. Good luck

BP

Comment

This is our first time there so i will let you know.
                          How did your trip go, and how was staying at Cliffview.

Comment

Working...
                          X