Help plan a trip across Texas on my Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help plan a trip across Texas on my Harley

I’d like to get some help from you all here on this. I’m thinking about taking a 7-10 day trip across Texas on my Road Glide. This would be sometime in September. I’d be crossing the border on I-35 coming from Oklahoma. Im pretty familiar with North Texas down to Dallas, but once I get past Dallas, I’m not savvy on all the cool little places to road trip to. I’d like to end up somewhere down on the coast for a 1-2 days before starting the trip back home. I could hit different places on the way down and on the way back up. I’m pretty familiar with the barbecue joints in/around Austin and Lockhart. What are some other “must see” places between Dallas and someplace yet to be determined on the coast? List any ideas you may have. I can start to get a route planned out so I could make as many stops as possible along the way down and back. Cool dive bars. Hole in the wall eating joints. Beautiful scenery. Roads less traveled. If anyone has done anything like this, let me hear what all you did.

Thanks.

Get off of I35 in Dallas...…….
    get on 281...…..
    Head to the hill country...……….
    Great restaurants, good places to stay.... and lots to see...……
    thank me later...……...

Comment

Lots of scenic road trips and scenic loops throughout the hill country .....enjoy the ride ! ...cC

Comment

Bandera area. 3 sisters. Fredericksburg area

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          Get off of I35 in Dallas...…….
          get on 281...…..
          Head to the hill country...……….
          Great restaurants, good places to stay.... and lots to see...……
          thank me later...……...
          I would agree with this.

Comment

Hwy 16. The Sportsman road

Comment

Llano. Fredericksburg. In Between is enchanted rock. Cool little towns. Great food. And beautiful country.

Comment

Do the River Road, south of Lajitas, in the Big Bend. Texas as it was 150 years ago.

You can hit the hill country, Fredericksburg, etc on the way, but that is Texas road trip country down there and you’ll never forget it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

146 from Montgomery up through the SNHF is windy and twisty and you can hear the roar of the exhaust reverb off the trees as you carve through the forest.

337 from Vanderpool to Leakey. You’re welcome.

McAllen to Laredo on Highway 83 is really pretty.

390 out of Burton back towards Navasota is beautiful on a nice day and perfect for lugging along at 40-45 though you can go faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I35 to I35W (Denton/Dallas Split)
                    35W to 20W
                    20W to 281 (Mineral Wells Exit)
                    281 South all the way...
                    Be careful in Morgan Mills (stop light)
                    dinner/supper Stephenville
                    coffe/pie in Hico
                    Marble Falls
                    Buchannan Lake
                    Salt Lick in Dripping Springs
                    Mi tierra's/Alamo San Antonio
                    Alice go East to Corpus.

Comment

I appreciate all these replies. I’m looking at some of these suggestions now.

Comment

Big bend/elephant mountain, alpine, terlingua area. If you have never been to this part of Texas do your self a favor. The other road I like is hey 16 drain Hondo up thru bandera up north. Junction to rock springs down to bracketville over thru utopia and Leakey is also a great trip. All these are must see parts of Texas.

Comment

If you are planning on coming into Texas on 35 and heading to coast you aren’t going to see much if Texas. I’d say you need to skip heading to coast and go west. East of I-35 above San Antonio isn’t much to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                            I've gotta be in San Antonio thursday and thought about taking my harley on Hwy 16...its about a 6hr trip so figured I could leave early Wednesday and enjoy the ride. Is it better than 281?? 281 is my normal route, just thought I might try something different

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                              This and take the Willow City Loop between Llano and Fredricksburg.

Comment

Working...
                              X