Help with OLD PSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with OLD PSE

I'm in the extremely rookie stages of bowhunting. I picked up an OLD PSE Phaser II last month. I hadnt shot it untill last weekend at the ranch. I havent shot a bow since I was a kid (32 now).

After the morning hunt I set up a target at about 25 yards. I drew the bow to what felt natural to me (left arm extended straight out, release just under my earlobe), lined up the one remaining sight pin which was possitioned pretty high in the sight, and let an arrow fly. It ended up going 3-4' high and got lost in a cactus patch 50 some odd yards off.

I grabbed another arrow and took up the same possition, this time raising the release to about even with my eye. This arrow hit the target, not where I was aiming, but a lot closer than the first one. I didnt feel safe or comfortable shooting like this so I called it off after 2 more arrows.

So, on the bow string there is one of those brass things clamped to the string. I nocked the arrow on top of it, this made the arrow rest level with the arrow rest like I figure it ought to be. I attached the release just below the brass clamp. I tried it one with the release above the arrow but it would slip off while trying to draw.

Okay, so what do I need to do in order to be able to try and get this thing sighted in? Raise the nocking point so I can feel more natural/safe when drawn? Will that mess anything up? There isnt much more string left that is protected above the existing nocking point.

Or do I just need to get over it and adapt to the bow?

I took it to the local archery shop and the guy basicaly laughed at me for shooting this bow, saying it's junk and I'm waisting my time with it. Well I cant afford a 3,5,6,8 hundred dollar bow, this is what I have and I'll find a way to make it work untill I can afford a "real" bow as this guy called them. The shop owner was very rude, so I refuse to go back to his shop. The next closest shop is a couple counties over. I'm basicaly on my own trying to figure this thing out and hoping yall can help me.

Crappy thing is with that shop owner burning the bridge, I now have no safe place to shoot it except for my monthly trip to the ranch to hunt. But I'm determined to make something work.

Thanks yall.

I dont know if any of these pictures will help, but here's a couple of what I'm dealing with.

Comment

first, you need to nock your arrow below the nocking point and attach your release below the nock of the arrow. second it appears from your picture that you do not have a peep sight. a peep sight is almost necessary to get a consistant anchor. i hope this helps some

Comment

Originally posted by zachbj2 View Post
        first, you need to nock your arrow below the nocking point and attach your release below the nock of the arrow. second it appears from your picture that you do not have a peep sight. a peep sight is almost necessary to get a consistant anchor. i hope this helps some
        Agreed...........also, do yourself a big favor and start out shooting at 10 yds, then work your way out to longer yardages, after you get your bow figured out. You'll probably want to get another sight, with at least 3 pins, too.

Comment

Thanks. I've been told that modern sights wont work on this bow. the sights mount on the right side of the bow and have been told modern sights wont give enough left/right adjustment to work. I havent been able to find anywhere that sells replacements for this sight. I even sent an email to the manufactur and they basicly told me "we dont make those anymore, good luck finding some". Firgure I'll have to rig something for the other 2 pins.

With the peep sight, how do I determine where on the string to put it? Are special tools required or can the average joe install one?

Comment

My suggestion would be to find a shop that is nice, and helpful. No shop owner should act like that, ever. Have them help you install a peep sight, and find an anchor that works for you. I cannot see the pictures for some reason but don't adjust your anchor, adjust your pins and always follow your arrow. If the pin is already getting very high, try adjusting your rest a bit and always move in small increments. A bow is a bow. That bow has killed deer before and it can do it again, keep at it!
            Last edited by whitetailtrail; 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Also, if you have any questions or would like help with anything, always feel free to shoot me a pm, I am by far not the most knowledgable person on here, but I will help with what i can!

Comment

Ok... First off this is the EXACT bow that I started out with 4 years ago.

You can set it up with modern sites.

This is going to be my suggestion to you and you can take it for what its worth but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Take it to a Pro Shop and let them check the bow out and the string and set it up correctly for you.

On my second shot when I got mine the string busted and the metal clasp on the string smacked me on my wrist. I had a 4 inch purple knot in 10 secs. Another 10 seconds and it was solid black. I thought it fractured my wrist and busted a blood vessel. 5 hours after a ER visit and $600 I was sent home with a bag of ice and a wrist brace.

I would not mess with these older bows. For the record that bow is around 20 YEARS OLD from what I was told.

If it were me I would go ahead and put a new string on it. Cost me about $60. Need to put a peep and D loop on it. Another $15 to $20 with installation. Then a new site, and other accessories to go with it.

Now with that being said by the time you drop the dime to have this bow checked out and is 120% safe to shoot. You can find a newer model bow for around what all of that will cost that already has everything on it you need.

There are a few on here now.

I spent the money to fix mine up. Shot with it for 1 season and was ready for something newer.. This bow does not have ANY let off either, which makes it much harder to stay drawn back on a animal. It will almost make you rush your shot after holding too long.

So in the long run in my opinion put the money into a newer model bow and you will be much happier and shoot better with one.

If you have any questions about this bow or anything else dont hesitate to ask

Comment

The PSE Phaser II was my first bow too. Bought it in 2001 for $50 from a friend who was selling it on behalf of a deceased friend's family. Best I could tell, that model dates back to about 1984. I did get it rigged with modern accessories, and learned to shoot it well (enough). Killed what is still my biggest buck, by bow or rifle, with it in 2003. A few weeks later it was stolen out of the back of my truck while stopped at a gas station (lesson learned the hard way, don't leave a bow case in an unattended truck). I feel sure the thief just saw the case and grabbed it; I bet he was pretty disappointed to find it contained such an old bow, with little resale value.

Anyway, by today's standards that bow's technology is really ancient. You could rig it for a better arrow rest, but you would have to have a "berger button hole" drilled in the riser, so that a threaded fitting could be installed. Your rest would be attached using this fitting. (I did do this on my bow).

But............txsuperdad23's advice above is really worth considering. The money you would have to spend to make this bow safe to shoot and capable of using a modern rest and sight, would be better spent on something newer. With some careful shopping I bet you could find a newer bow that already has a rest and sight mounted, for about the same money you have to spend on the old PSE. In the long run you would be much better off.

Comment

Here is a bow for sale on here that has been knocked down to $75

I sent him a pm but have not heard back yet if everything in the picture comes with it. Either way its a great deal and while this bow would even be considered older compared to what most are shooting today it still has 20 years on your pse and will be alot safer and allow you to shoot better.

I guess the biggest thing to me is let off with your bow. If you have to hold back on a animal for more then a minute it begins to fill like hours and thats with let off. The longer you hold the more likely to rush your shot and pull it or anything else that could go wrong. Now imagine having to hold back with that pse with no let off. It would be miserable lol..

Comment

Originally posted by rgb View Post
                      Bought it in 2001 for $50

I paid $75 for mine. Plus the $600 ER bill... You got the better deal but we both got ripped off lol

Comment

Thanks for the info yall. I hear what your saying about where I put my money, and your right. Kind of dissapointing but atleast I only paid $40 for the bow. It will be quite some time before I'll be able to buy anything else with all the home repairs and vehicle repairs I need to make. I was hoping to practise this season and hunt it next season but it wont be untill about next season when I can get another bow. Sad, but I guess I'll have to wait untill 2013 season to bow hunt. Maybe I can traid somebody my bow for some .243 ammo.

Thanks again yall.

Comment

Originally posted by 13MWZ View Post
                          Thanks for the info yall. I hear what your saying about where I put my money, and your right. Kind of dissapointing but atleast I only paid $40 for the bow. It will be quite some time before I'll be able to buy anything else with all the home repairs and vehicle repairs I need to make. I was hoping to practise this season and hunt it next season but it wont be untill about next season when I can get another bow. Sad, but I guess I'll have to wait untill 2013 season to bow hunt. Maybe I can traid somebody my bow for some .243 ammo.

Thanks again yall.

You can set that bow up to hunt with now if you have the funds to do so. But as mentioned what you are gong to spend you could put towards a newer bow.

I will be completely honest with you though. Shooting that bow compared to a newer updated bow is a huge difference. To me each bow has its on level that needs to be reached to be proficient with it. So practicing with this bow will do you know good towards another one in the future.

Your bow is much much heavier, bulkier ect ect. To me it only did me damage for posture and so forth.

But if you wanna shoot with that bow then do so. Just at the least make sure the string and cables are good and no cracks in the bow. Dont want to see anyone get hurt.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Comment

couple things that would be cheap, get a tm hunter prong rest, move the sight bar up..i hate that your shop has **** heads running it....i went to ET archery friday to pick up my bow and hangin on the wall beside it were a bear white tail and an ancient pse...they had new strings on em ready to be picked up...those guys dont care what you shoot..

Comment

No use now, found some cracks in the lower limb I hadnt noticed before. Thanks for the help yall.

Comment

Working...
                              X