No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying in Harlingen could be another option. I think it's 30-45 mins to the Refuge. I haven't hunted LA in a few yrs but do miss going out there. Highly recommend waterproof boots, Permethrin, and snake chaps/gaiters.

I did take my bike the first time out there and that was my only time. I forgot how many yrs I hunted there, I wanna say it was 4 yrs in a row. I took a popup every yr and also did some s&s. Other times I took a folding chair and sat at an area that looked good.

Good luck to all that got drawn. I'm gonna have to start looking into getting out there again

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
      I would absolutely recommend spare tubes, tube liners, tools, and a pump as stated earlier. Ebikes are awesome till they get a flat. Then you’re pushing a really heavy bike. Those fat tires also come off the rim when flat and rub the fork making it even worse.
      I agree whole heartily. I am getting some of that military grade slime and liners.

My bike has a "walk" mode. It will go along at 3 MPH while I am holding down the button. Not ideal to have to walk it out, but least it is on it's own power.

Comment

Originally posted by rysfade View Post
        Drew 11/13 as well and it'll be our first time too. We did Aransas last year for rifle and to me the terrain looks pretty similar in videos - anyone been to both and can compare?
        I've done both. They are similar but I didn't see many animals at Aransas. Killed a small buck at Laguna. I will be there 11/20 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
          For you guys who have been here in the past bow hunts, 200 permits seems like a lot. Were there Joe blows walking the roads all day?
          I am embarrassed to say, but I walked up on someone hunting on accident while attempting to change locations. I felt really bad about it, waved and moved out ASAP. I will also note that on some of these hunts that I've been on (Laguna included) where you are not given a compartment for yourself or group, there are guys walking around aimlessly. At Teniente, I actually had a guy and his buddy walking with their bows and talking loudly come up on me and say "we walked the whole place and haven't seen anything!"
          I was like, "No s**t?!"
          I get it...people have their own ways of hunting, and that's fine but if you are just walking around with a bow trying to jump something up and think you can make an ethical shot with a bow you will most likely walk all over several hunters that have set up on trails, scrapes, or rubs and ruin their hunt. This is public land being used by several hunters....not your private piece of property to stomp around on during the entire hunt period. Its one thing to move spots, do some scouting or change locations. It is NOT cool to act like you are the only person that got drawn for this hunt.

Soooooo...yes, you will probably see other hunters. Most will politely wave and move out just as I did. A few will not. I suggest that if you are moving locations to please do it during the mid-day when most people are not hunting....not at first light or and hour before sunset.

Good luck to all and here's to another memorable season!!!

Comment

I had several different people walk up on me. One was poor timing as I was drawing on a nilgai cow. It whipped a 180 and I saw the guy about 20 seconds later. One of the other guys saw me and proceeded to sit there staring at his phone until I got off my Tripod to ask him what his problem was. It amazes me how disrespectful other hunters can be.

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
              May be other manufacturers, but I know Hawk makes one. Never hunted out of one though, so I can’t comment on functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I have the hawk hunt pod with wheels. It’s good in some places, not good in others. It is heavy and heavy duty. Super comfortable and easy to setup. I like the standing platform. I try to set it where I can just barely see over short trees while sitting then stand to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by acepipeman View Post
                I am embarrassed to say, but I walked up on someone hunting on accident while attempting to change locations. I felt really bad about it, waved and moved out ASAP. I will also note that on some of these hunts that I've been on (Laguna included) where you are not given a compartment for yourself or group, there are guys walking around aimlessly. At Teniente, I actually had a guy and his buddy walking with their bows and talking loudly come up on me and say "we walked the whole place and haven't seen anything!"
                I was like, "No s**t?!"
                I get it...people have their own ways of hunting, and that's fine but if you are just walking around with a bow trying to jump something up and think you can make an ethical shot with a bow you will most likely walk all over several hunters that have set up on trails, scrapes, or rubs and ruin their hunt. This is public land being used by several hunters....not your private piece of property to stomp around on during the entire hunt period. Its one thing to move spots, do some scouting or change locations. It is NOT cool to act like you are the only person that got drawn for this hunt.

Soooooo...yes, you will probably see other hunters. Most will politely wave and move out just as I did. A few will not. I suggest that if you are moving locations to please do it during the mid-day when most people are not hunting....not at first light or and hour before sunset.

All the more reason to get an ebike and try to get away from the casual hunter/walkers! Good luck to you and see you there!

Comment

A few up ago I was in a prime spot on day 4 at Laguna after making adjustments each day. I had gotten to my spot as early as allowed. Around 10:30 AM another hunter came waltzing in and proceeded to setup directly across from me. I waved tried to wave him off with my hunter orange and I’m sure he saw me but he setup there anyway. I wasn’t too happy. But like everyone else has said it’s public land.

Comment

Originally posted by acepipeman View Post
                    I am embarrassed to say, but I walked up on someone hunting on accident while attempting to change locations. I felt really bad about it, waved and moved out ASAP.

it happens. Don't sweat it. What you do about it defines you. Move on and hunt another spot... no issues.

post up by someone...no bueno.

I hunted LANWR 2018. I went in close to 2 miles in. Had a hunter walk past my set up one morning. He waved acknowledgment and kept going. Never saw him again. Saw several folks along the road. It is what it is. Folks got to get along.

Comment

Agreed, everyone is there to have a good time and bring home some game meat. It’s a fair amount of people on a huge piece of property. People will be moving along the roads all day, but that’s what the roads are for. If that bothers you, then you are most likely hunting on or way to close to those roads. Get off the roads even as little as 300-400 yards and you will be in your own world with much lower chances of encountering anyone. But, also expect encounters with other hunters to happen. They can be positive or negative encounters, that’s usually your choice. I’ve met some great people out there, some that I still stay in touch with. Most are going to be guys that you have a lot in common with. Yes, it can be frustrating when the timing is bad and it costs you an opportunity, but that’s not happening everyday. In the 8 days I’ve hunted there that’s only happened to me once. (And it cost me a great Bull on the rifle hunt, my only real opportunity at one of those blues[emoji20]). Be kind and courteous and thankful that you have the opportunity to hunt in such a rich environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                        12/4 draws, let me know if anyone wants to go in on an Airbnb or hotel room. I'm driving down on Wednesday night for the Thursday morning orientation and staying through the 8th.

Also driving down on the 18th after work for scouting weekend. Will be camping at Thomae Park that weekend.
                        Looking to team up with someone 12/4-12/8. Possible split an place to stay?

Comment

Originally posted by drakeh40 View Post
                          Looking to team up with someone 12/4-12/8. Possible split an place to stay?
                          I'm down. Going to rent a room in Laguna Vista.

Justin 512-661-8017

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                            A few up ago I was in a prime spot on day 4 at Laguna after making adjustments each day. I had gotten to my spot as early as allowed. Around 10:30 AM another hunter came waltzing in and proceeded to setup directly across from me. I waved tried to wave him off with my hunter orange and I’m sure he saw me but he setup there anyway. I wasn’t too happy. But like everyone else has said it’s public land.
                            If I do this, please feel free to throw at rock at me.

Comment

Some good tips on here!!! Who will put there on 1/15- 1/17?

Comment

Got some good scouting in this past weekend. I was truly in awe of this property. I had been as a kid many years ago but looking at it through the eyes of a hunter gave it new life. The windy conditions pushed the wildlife into the deep brush, but I did see does, hogs, road runners, plenty of other birds, and a chipmunk looking animal. My major take always were:
                                -The property is massive
                                -The speed limit makes a big impact on how long it takes to get to the back
                                -Muddy roads would extremely limit travel on both the bike and foot
                                -It seems animal encounter would be very close or very far away
                                -Blind placement will be key and very tricky

Got to test out my make shift game cart when my wife got tired of walking and wanted a ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X