Broadhead sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead sharpening

Whats everyone using to sharpen their broadheads? i just got the stay sharp jig and i am still trying to figure it out. i seen where some guys are using something similar to a kitchen knife sharpener. the one you hold and just run the blade through the V. anyone using this how well does it work.

Crock sticks for me.

Comment

I use a fine diamond stone, sand paper and a leather strop along with the stay sharp jig.. key is to not let the head get real dull.. I sharpen almost everything out of the package .

Comment

I had a buddy that used a whet stone.

Comment

Ranch fairy has a video using the stay sharp.

Comment

I use the white wet stone
            Soak in water for 15 mins then carefully run bh down it

Comment

I use an accusharp and a 10” piece of an old belt. I’ve tried the stay sharp guide with sandpaper and honing compound. Broadheads got real shiny, but not very sharp!

Comment

I use a stay sharp with 1000 and 3000 sandpaper and finally on 8000 whetstone. Can get decent heads sharp enough to be scary to put on arrows.

Comment

Free hand with a Work Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                    I use an accusharp and a 10” piece of an old belt. I’ve tried the stay sharp guide with sandpaper and honing compound. Broadheads got real shiny, but not very sharp!
                    Exactly the problem I am having. Broadheads get really shiny but aren't very sharp.

Comment

guess my "old timer" will show.
                      Just used the finest mill file I could find.
                      Leather strop charged with red rouge.
                      Then get a polished chrome smooth shank screw driver, like a new Klein.
                      Use it like a steel. Use pressure and only a few strokes. Any more it rolls the edge.

Couldn't use the kitchen type on a zwickey, it's double layer and will create a hump where the metals overlap.

Comment

I use a Stay Sharp jig and use them on wetstones. I've got both the grey and black guides for different broad heads. I have 2 stones I use and go 400, 1000, 6000(the stones are 400/1000 and 1000/6000). They get stupid sharp and I have a good sized scare on my hand as proof from the first head I sharpened.

Comment

I have the Iron Will and have several I practice with and one that was run through an elk that all need sharpened. Just bought the Stay Sharp with the diamond blades. Looking forward to sharpening these heads and getting them back in the line up.

I watched the Ranch Fairy video, highly recommend everyone go watch that. The strop demonstration on a brand new Iron Will was really impressive. In addition to the Stay Sharp, I also bought a paddle strop...and I was doing so good on reducing my spending.

Ranch Fairy video:

Last edited by JES; 09-27-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Good stuff, JES. Looks like I need a strop to put a fresh edge on some new broadheads. Glad I read up on this thread.

Comment

I’ve had a stay sharp for years. Mine sucks. It will polish the fire out of one, but it’s 4x duller

I use diamond stone and just go by hand. It took me years to perfect it, but I got it down now and finish with leather. Insanely sharp

Comment

Working...
                              X