Anyone Eat Armadillos and/or Racoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Ate raccoon pretty regularly growing up (dad had a pack of hounds). Usually barbecued. It was OK from what I remember.

You couldn't make me eat possum after seeing one crawl out of a decomposed cow's a@@.
    About like the pig stuck or the buzzard stuck in the cow's azz, seen videos of both. Never seen a possum do such a thing. Even without having seen that, I would have all types of trouble eating one.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
      LOL, this implies that someone out there is killing and selling animals other than coons, but advertising them as coons?

Makes sense, I guess. I mean, if I am looking to buy Trash Panda for supper, I also would want to make sure what I was buying was, in fact, Trash Panda.
      Having a foot still on, you know your not eating your neighbor's schnauzer.

Comment

I've had grilled armadillo. Wasn't bad at all and reminded me of pork.

Comment

Na hell no, especially an opossum, did get tricked into eating some BBQ coon once, had a lot of beer that night so I really cannot recall what it tasted like.

Comment

Coon salesman

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
            I'm with you, thought it was goofy as all get out that there'd be a fake coon salesman out there pushing house cats, but if I wanted to sell the coons, I had to leave the foot.
            Fake coon salesman. Haha haha 👍

Comment

Never eaten armadillo but did try porcupine once. Greasiest, tinniest meat I've ever tried. Hard pass.

Comment

Nope. Yotes gotta eat too...

Comment

But why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
                    Had armadillo many times when growing up. They grub like wild hog. Got to make sure they are gutted properly so the meat doesn’t spoil. Lots of work to skin out. Best way to cook is quarter batter and chicken fry. Had raccoon also, best way to cook is in the oven like a roast with potatoes, celery, carrots, etc. Both good eating if prepared correctly.
                    I’ve eaten raccoon once or twice and found it a little to greasy for my taste. Have not tried armadillo, but I’ll eat anything dipped in batter and deep fried. What is “quarter batter”?

For those concerned about leprosy, wouldn’t the cooking process kill the bacterium?

Comment

I ate armadillo in Trinidad when I was working down there. They are bigger than ours here in Texas and they have a hunting season on them. We had a Christmas party for our project and we paid a premium for the armadillo. It was chunks of shell, you had to suck the meat off the shell. Actually wasn’t too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
                        LOL, this implies that someone out there is killing and selling animals other than coons, but advertising them as coons?

Makes sense, I guess. I mean, if I am looking to buy Trash Panda for supper, I also would want to make sure what I was buying was, in fact, Trash Panda.
                        Yea cats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use to eat coon a lot growing up its good eating. We put ours on the pit with deer neck seasoned w/salt, black pepper and a can of beer wrapped in foil pan, let it cook until all meat was off the bones put it on some fresh tortillas with cha cha on top. Some good stuff.

Comment

A friend of mine grew up in Tennessee.His dad would walk around,and club armadilla's over the head.Joe's job was to carry them.He'd be telling his old man to knock it off after about 5 of them,because they got HEAVY! His dad loved to eat em.Not sure how he cooked them though.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Never ate coon. Caught, killed and cooked (grilled) an armadillo when we at a "ranch" in Diboll once. I was a teenager then, but remember it as "the other white meat" and pretty good. Hairy underbelly was not appetizing though. I'd eat again if I was hungry. They were known as "Hoover Pork/Hams" back when times were tough.

Comment

Y'all need to watch this episode. Raccoon, possum, iguana, rabbit, elk, deer, bison, and gator in a cookoff competition. Pretty good show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	24632222

Comment

Working...
                                X