LRGV NWR - Teniente (2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhuddleston View Post
    I will prolly do both types of hunting, 4 days sitting in a ground blind will get real old lol. Hopefully we see something, we are the last group for the year so im sure everything will be very skittish
    Yea I'm sure they will be. Good luck. Wish I was hunting there again this year. Fun hunt

Comment

I had success last year at east lake by finding a convergence of trails leading to a big active scat pile. Had a bull come in the first morning right down the trail and got a shot at about 70 yards broadside. Put it right in the shoulder and followed up with a second to drop him. Each day walking in to different spots I busted a group of cows with calves. They seem to know you are coming way before you can ever see them and then they're gone. Good luck to everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry1025 View Post
        I had success last year at east lake by finding a convergence of trails leading to a big active scat pile. Had a bull come in the first morning right down the trail and got a shot at about 70 yards broadside. Put it right in the shoulder and followed up with a second to drop him. Each day walking in to different spots I busted a group of cows with calves. They seem to know you are coming way before you can ever see them and then they're gone. Good luck to everyone!!
        Thanks for the info, i am planning on hunting hard the whole time. My brother and I along with his 2 kids are going as a group.

Comment

How much spot and stalk can you do in thick brush country with basically 1 person per hundred acres hunting the place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
            How much spot and stalk can you do in thick brush country with basically 1 person per hundred acres hunting the place?

One person per 100 acres?

Comment

It’s 40 people per hunt on about 4000 acres based on a quick satellite measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                It’s 40 people per hunt on about 4000 acres based on a quick satellite measurement.

Called today and the manager said it was 15 people/permits per time window.

Comment

I'm not sure about using a pop up. They use seem to be very observant and use same trials etc. Id just take a chair or stool and get in the brush and don't move around. I think they will bust a pop up

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    I'm not sure about using a pop up. They use seem to be very observant and use same trials etc. Id just take a chair or stool and get in the brush and don't move around. I think they will bust a pop up
                    YES they will. I used a pop first time ever down there and every single animal saw it before I saw them. I use a ghost blind now and have been able to hide pretty well woth it.

Comment

I wouldn’t bother with a pop up. Just pick a good clump of brush to hide behind or back into. I had a few wt does walk pretty close and never saw me. The dang nilgai seem to notice if a twig is out of place.

Comment

LRGV NWR - Teniente (2019)

Originally posted by jhuddleston View Post
                        Called today and the manager said it was 15 people/permits per time window.

That is good to hear. The hunt info said 240 slots for 6 hunts.

Comment

Gun hunt and archery hunt are different permit numbers per hunt. Gun is 60 for four hunts. Archery is 240 for six hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                            I wouldn’t bother with a pop up. Just pick a good clump of brush to hide behind or back into. I had a few wt does walk pretty close and never saw me. The dang nilgai seem to notice if a twig is out of place.

What he said... dont waste your time with a popup, they will spot it a mile away.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                                Gun hunt and archery hunt are different permit numbers per hunt. Gun is 60 for four hunts. Archery is 240 for six hunts.
                                I hunted the archery hunt last year and maybe saw a dozen different vehicles when driving around. If it is 40 per hunt then there were a bunch of no shows. It was also a little warm so I am sure that kept some away. I never saw another hunter once I left the county road and I walked quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X