I've discovered that minimum shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've discovered that minimum shelter

requirements are best met with a 6x8 PEVA shower curtain, converted into a 3x8 ft bag, around a bug net bag, around a bag made out of frostcloth (Loewe's, it's for protecting plants) around a modified SOL Escape bivvy. the latter costs about $35 on Amazon, an OD green version is available. The Escape is "breathable" mylar, and by itself, aint worth much. Wind goes right thru it and if you let water puddle on it, that water will soak thru, also. It's good for about 10F degrees more than your clothing, IF you get up off of the ground on dry debris or a hammock and if it's not raining or windy, or if you can somehow get naturally sheltered from the wind and rain.

The SOL weighs 3/4 lb, modified to fit a big man and to have a full length zipper, enabling it to be opened flat. The PEVA bag weighs the same. The bugnet and frostcloth bag, similarly zippered, weigh half a lb a piece. The bugnet bag is needed in warm weather and in winter, stuffed inside of your clothing, enhances the insulative effect of clothing (quite a bit).

The frostcloth and bugnet layers serve to keep the clamminess and condensation (caused by the PEVA being impermeable to your body moisture) off of the ESCAPE. Everywhere the mylar and plastic can touch, and also touches your body, it will be cold. The PEVA excludes wind and water, and the 4 bags, together, add about 20F degrees to what your clothing can handle. For the 1/2 gallon total size and 2.5 lb total weight, the results are very gratifying. In summer, often all you need, as the night chill descends in the early Am, is the frostcloth, under the bugnet. or you might want the escape, but not have it zipped-up.

A further innovation has been to utilize 6x100 ft of 2" mesh monofilament gillnet as a hammock, with muletape tree straps. This adds a lb, but it can feed me if need be. The lead weights were removed, but i can add rocks as weights if I need to fish with it. It gets me up out of the rocks, pointy roots, bugs, snakes, mud, water, snow, off of the cold, hard ground, and it stows in a compression sack the size of your fist. In use as a hammock, it's 12.5 ft long, 100 ft, folded 3x.

None of this gear is effected by its getting wet, which is a BIG deal out in the real world. It was easiest to install the zippers, but what i really want is to sew a 3/4" wide strip of muslin all around (one edge of the muslin only being sewn", with a small snap every 5". I dont trust zippers-durability,, the long ones are expensive and I value being able to stick out my arms and legs wherever I need to.

This shelter/sleep gear can all be worn as a poncho, if need be. If I pair it with fishnet longjohns, polyester longjohns, milsurp polypro outside-longjohn pants, a thin fleece hoodie and a nylon shell
    (with hood) polypro gloves, balaclava, I can sleep OK at 20F, given a sedative, which I need even
    at home. If I stuff dry debris between the layers, I can at least muddle thru the night at 10F. Ditto if I rig the hammock as a reclining slingchair and use the UCO candle lantern betwen my feet,
    (BEESWAX candles only) bracing my lower back upob my pack, my feet up on some brush. This gear can be set up to be paired with the projected heat of a Siberian fire lay, or as a solar-heated supershelter, using the "greenhouse effect". Naturally, hot rocks and water bottles can be added to the mix at will. The 3 candles offer 18 hours of warmth and will dry out a lapful of damp debris every 2-3 hours. So, by the time that the candles have expired, I can have all the dry debris that I need to stay warm just by insulation, down to 10F and to 0F by doing calisthenics inside of the sleeping gear. Once it's below 0F at night, the risk of enemy activity is low enough to at least let you use a Dakota firepit to warm rocks, but of course, either you had to have dug the pit before the ground froze hard, or you have to use an above ground fire to heat water and rocks, and use those aids to thaw out the ground, letting you dig the Dakota pit.

If you're free to add a fire to the ensemble, this setup can handle severe cold, for as long as you can provide firewood. However, a true emergency often involves being sick or hurt, and that can easily mean that you can't provide the fire. There's also times and places where an open fire (in daylight) is big trouble.

I dont do this stuff for fun anymore. I've done it for real, far too many weeks at a time. So if i'm out there, it's to test some new gear or tactic, or it's because shtf. In which case, I'll have 3 lbs of concealable "soft" armor, which become my sleeping pad. Take one of the panels out of the carrier, use it under my hips/thighs, while the other panel is used under my torso.

So, what I've come up with is a sleep/shelter kit that is sub 4 lbs, counting the stakes and cordage, good for 4 seasons, and 4 lbs of "extra" clothing, besides normal wear, that lets me handle almost any weather (that I'd be out in). I abhor being above the Mason Dixon line in the US, after about 1 November, and if I got caught there, for winter, I'd be bicycling south, 100 miles per night, getting OUT of it. Cold weather is a horrific enemy when hostilities are extent, and a terrible handicap when it comes to moving, foraging, and evading enemies. All that can be avoided by 1-2 week's bicycle ride, at night, or a month of rafting down rivers, at night. So why put up with it?
    Last edited by awright; 11-30-2018, 10:17 AM.

Filing this for later use!

Comment

i'd combine these final thoughts with the above, but the slider disappears before I can add the edit-click. I take clear packing tape for patching the PEVA, cause the Korchanski super shelter/greenhouse setup requires clear plastic, so that the radiant heat of the sun or the Siberian fire lay's projected heat can penetrate thru the PEVA, and bounce around inside of the reflective mylar of the Escape bivvy, warming me. I carry re-usable (if you're careful) blue masking tape to seal the edges of the PEVA and (propped open Escape bivvy when it's necessary to utilize the super-shelter set up. Only about a 1/4" hole, , one at the top of one end and another at the bottom of the other end, of the supershelter can be allowed, or you much too quickly will lose all of the bodyheat-warmed air that you so desperately
      need to keep around you. A normal sleeping pad and sleeping bag, if they can match my set up as to warmth, are very vulnerable to getting torn and wet, and are bulky, heavy and expensive, and worth nothing at all during the summer, yet they have to be protected from rodents and insects all summer.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59
        you mean I have been doing it wrong for 50 years?

I usually just settle for a tent, ground cloth and sleeping bag,,,
        was anyone trying to kill you during that time? were you alone during that time? was the gear irreplacable during that time? Were you too sick or hurt to get a fire going? Was help never going to come if something happened during those years?

Comment

I feel as though I have missed something.

Comment

I haven't used a regular bow in decades, but i"ve been working out with the slingbow this past year. This area is too barren for bowhunting and the land is all either military reserve or Indian territory. Which is one of the reasons I favor the slingbow. Need i say more?

Comment

Please do. What barren land are we talkin about? serious question here, why not just a regular sling shot? What advantages would a sling bow have over a sling shot In one of these survival situations? The iidea of carrying one of these around to kill something other than a rat is laughable
              Last edited by Jcjohnson; 11-30-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233
                You should try out a Mr Buddy heater... it will change your world...
                I too agree about the Mr Buddy heater... It will keep you extremely warm AND you can warm up your cans of corn with it.

If you do a search on here you can find a thread about how to refill the small bottles using a larger bottle so they will fit in a go bag easier for when it hits the fan and you have to walk for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by awright View Post
                  was anyone trying to kill you during that time? were you alone during that time? was the gear irreplacable during that time? Were you too sick or hurt to get a fire going? Was help never going to come if something happened during those years?

Oh please, this sounds like a great story. Please tell us! And I'm being serious. We love stories like what you are alluding to here.

Comment

Need a pic of you and your new Pee shooter!

Comment

My minimum shelter will have running water, water heater, plumbing, and central a/c, along with a roof and a least 4 walls.

Comment

In short, lean to, found in creek, bed pan for cooking, made vegetable cellar in creek side, shoot guns, cooked rabbits, deer skin pants, jackets, boots and blanket from Dried hides, not tanned. In Pennsylvania in Dec. on Christmas break when a friend and I were in high school. lasted a couple days.
                        Yes we had a fire!

Comment

I feel like a lot is missing here

Comment

Originally posted by awright View Post
                            Was anyone trying to kill you?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                              I feel like a lot is missing here
                              There is a lot missing now

Comment

Working...
                              X