No announcement yet.

Awkward situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should never feel obligated to do anything. If you going to do something do it because you want to. To answer your question I would just tell him that you can't afford to donate any money. If he is your friend he should be able to understand that and even if it was just because you didn't want to, he should be able to understand that as well. Good luck I hope all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      So a buddy of mine asked me to help set up an event he's doing and he'll have a raffle and dinner and whatnot and so I agreed to help set up tables and whatever else. Today he asked if I could donate money to put up as prize money of some kind because they can't gather up prizes for the raffle. I'm not sure how if maybe I misunderstood "help" or what but it sure put me on the spot. It's an hour from where I live and I kinda figured donating my time would be a decent thing to do since he needs help. I just can't really afford to give money away like that.....I don't even know how to respond to that without being a jerk about it. It's not my event,I'm not getting paid and I'm going out of my way to be there.Lol.....Man talk about awkward. I don't know if I should be offended or what. I'm kind of stunned I was even asked that question honestly.
      Take 500 mg of Actlika and see how that helps.

Comment

Doesn’t seem like an awkward position.. you donate time/labor, he asks if you can donated money, you let him know either your not in a position to do so or you do not wish to donate anything other than your time, he says ok thanks and y’all move on..

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Take 500 mg of Actlika and see how that helps.
          I don't know what Actlika is.lol

Comment

I would say he isn't a friend, but a user.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
              Doesn’t sound like y’all are buddies at all to me. Should be pretty easy to talk to a friend.
              Yeah I have no problem telling my friends that they're trying to beat in my backside!

Comment

So a buddy of mine asked me to help set up an event he's doing and he'll have a raffle and dinner and whatnot and so I agreed to help set up tables and whatever else. Today he asked if I could donate money to put up as prize money of some kind because they can't gather up prizes for the raffle. I'm not sure how if maybe I misunderstood "help" or what but it sure put me on the spot. It's an hour from where I live and I kinda figured donating my time would be a decent thing to do since he needs help. I just can't really afford to give money away like that.....I don't even know how to respond to that without being a jerk about it. It's not my event,I'm not getting paid and I'm going out of my way to be there.Lol.....Man talk about awkward. I don't know if I should be offended or what. I'm kind of stunned I was even asked that question honestly.
                That's not awkward
                Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
                Yeah I have no problem telling my friends that they're trying to beat in my backside!
                This is awkward

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                  “I don’t mind helping set up tables and what not but I’m not in a position to donate money right now. Especially with Christmas right around the corner.”
                  THIS. I get asked all the time to donate to various things. I give when I can and for what I believe in, if I am unable, I just say so. No worries.

Comment

“Man na”

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Just tell him your not in a position. If that offends him then your better off moving on anyway. I hate begging for money for “raffle” events. I’d rather do 99% myself than that one part. I hate it and being one that will donate a ton of time cause I have no money I understand the awkward feeling.
                      x2!

If he doesn't understand he is not a friend anyways

Comment

It isn’t awkward. If he is raising funds for a non profit, it’s his duty to ask. If you say no, it won’t be the 1st time and it won’t be the last. Just don’t string him along with let me check budget or maybe later. Just be up front tell him you can’t make a financial donation now.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                          Doesn’t sound like y’all are buddies at all to me. Should be pretty easy to talk to a friend.
                          Ya, my buddies I can tell them to get bent pretty easy. Or at least tell them exactly what I think on it.

Comment

Like I mentioned I just felt bad for some reason. I don't like feeling like I let someone down. But the more I've thought about it I kinda don't. Because here's the difference between me and him. He works when he wants to and just enough to get by. I work when I don't want to just to get by. So I don't know why the heck I'm feeling bad. I'm doing what I can to help....So that's about all I can do.

If I were in his shoes I'd have to pony up and spend the money out of my own pocket. Especially when you're making money off of the event. Which he will be. So I'm dumb for worrying about it.

Comment

Like I mentioned I just felt bad for some reason. I don't like feeling like I let someone down. But the more I've thought about it I kinda don't. Because here's the difference between me and him. He works when he wants to and just enough to get by. I work when I don't want to just to get by. So I don't know why the heck I'm feeling bad. I'm doing what I can to help....So that's about all I can do.

If I were in his shoes I'd have to pony up and spend the money out of my own pocket. Especially when you're making money off of the event. Which he will be. So I'm dumb for worrying about it.
                              I can't believe he asked you for money if he is making money from the event. If it was a nonprofit event I would understand because all of the money is going to help others but when it is going to help yourself that is not a very good look.

Comment

Either say "Yes" or "No". If he is a buddy, that will be the end of it either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X