Model 70 Safari Express bedding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model 70 Safari Express bedding question

This 375 H&H has always shot well, but I think it can do better. I was planning on having it bedded and a trigger job.

Anyway, I removed the stock and was surprised to find an additional recoil lug on the barrel in addition to the receiver. Also there is some factory bedding material in both areas and it seems likes it’s epoxy based , but it’s not that hard.

I assumed bedding could only help, but with the barrel contact, I’m not so sure. I’ve never seen something like this.

Any pointers are appreciated. Or recs on good Model 70 gunsmiths.

Also going to make classified posts, but I’m in need of 375 ammo if you have any you’d be willing to part with. I have .223 and 9mm I could trade or could do cash. I also have 375 brass if someone would be willing to help me load some, I could also trade ammo or cash. Midway has some projectiles available.

Thanks!

Comment

Comment

Also, it looks like there is an area drilled for a swivel stud, but it’s only on the barrel channel side. It doesn’t go all the way through to the outside of the fore end.

I assume this is for strength? the forward sling attachment is on the barrel

Comment

If that epoxy, is not very hard, I would remove it and redo it. Sounds like someone did not mix the epoxy correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            If that epoxy, is not very hard, I would remove it and redo it. Sounds like someone did not mix the epoxy correctly.

Not sure what it is. Nope, it’s not very hard.

Comment

It is very common for big bore rifles to have an extra recoil lung on the barrel like that. As far as the bedding I'm not sure, but I can't imagine it being soft is right.

Comment

I have had several Mod70's that have this sort of bedding material in them from the factory.

Comment

Both recoil lugs should only be bedded under and behind. Get all that old bedding out and start over.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
                    I’m realizing this is common. I just haven’t seen it. Definitely going to get it bedded properly, just seems odd to have bedding contacting the barrel.

Comment

Need to have it bedded by someone who knows the big recoil. They will crack the stock if bedded improperly.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
                        Need to have it bedded by someone who knows the big recoil. They will crack the stock if bedded improperly.
                        Crossbolts are not a cure for poor inletting and bedding, but they sure won’t hurt. With the quality of some of these wood stocks, I would not be surprised if you are correct that even a relatively low recoiling .375 could split one behind the tang. I think Ruger was famous for this.

Comment

Love a 375. I saw some ammo not to long ago at Natchez Shooters. May find some on Africa hunting forum in the classifieds, lots of big bore shooters there.

Comment

Go talk to Big Dave at Elk Castle, I assume he is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                              Go talk to Big Dave at Elk Castle, I assume he is still there.

Called a month or so ago. He had back surgery earlier this year, still out I believe. They said he’s doing well though.

Comment

Working...
                              X