Nervous About A New Career Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nervous About A New Career Field

After 9 years in oil and gas, doing everything from operating, to sales, to land man positions buying ROW, I’m finally about to cut the cord and move on to something new. In these 9 years I’ve been through 3 major downturns and lost my job due to this twice.

After being unemployed through hunting season I’ve talked to a few different real estate brokers in the Hill Country area that are willing to sponsor me to get my real estate license. One that does land and ranch sales, the other doing residential real estate. I’m extremely nervous to leave the oilfield behind because it’s what I know, but I think it’s that time.

I’ll be starting Real Estate school in 2 weeks, if anyone has any pointers on how to effectively navigate this switch I’d appreciate any advice. Also anyone in real estate that has any advice on how to choose a broker and not get taken advantage of, I’d love to hear from you.

All in all, just wish me luck because I’m going to dive into this head first and work my tail off to be successful. Just pretty scary leaving behind what you know for something new.

good luck, probably a good move with the new pres. I worked O/G for 40 years and retired about a year before the last crash, it was much nicer watching it happen from the sidelines!

Comment

Leaving something behind that you know is definitely nerve racking! Work your tail off and it will all work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        good luck, probably a good move with the new pres. I worked O/G for 40 years and retired about a year before the last crash, it was much nicer watching it happen from the sidelines!

Haha yeah I bet watching is better than being in the middle of it.

Comment

Look at the bright side. You didn't know the oil industry when you first started.

Good luck in your new endeavors.

Comment

Everyone that ever changed to a new field probably feels the same way you do right now. You'll be fine and good luck with your career change.

Comment

I have no advice as I have never worked in either field but good luck. I am sure you will do well.

-john

Comment

My advice as a former real estate salesperson. Have something to do on the side to generate income. Real estate is very inconsistent when it comes to getting a paycheck. There are pros and cons to the business. Most successful RE agents have a spouse or passive income that helps them through the slow months. And there will be many.

Good Luck!! And congrats for leaving O&G. I wish I could sometimes.

Comment

Keep your day job bro. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Spent most of my life in the oil field. Got tired of that and went into real estate. Had success but it was all on my own. Many of these brokerages actively feed their “top producers” leads, while they should be trying to make everyone a “top producer”.
                  You had better have a great “sphere of influence “ and work that sphere religiously. I could not compete with the shear volume of Realtors here in Katy. There was a couple of months where I literally had four sales fall out due to financing. Chicken one day and feathers the next.
                  And yes many brokers will readily sponsor a new agent. They can always use another agent splitting their hard earned commission with them. You may go right to the top and I hope you do. But once again, keep your day job for a while, or get another job and work real estate part time. You can be a virtual agent from your home and save money as well.
                  You will be competing with agents that may list a home for less than three percent, clients that want part of your salary back, and discount brokerages as well.
                  Definitely not all rainbows and unicorns. It’s hard work bro. Choose wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylab View Post
                    My advice as a former real estate salesperson. Have something to do on the side to generate income. Real estate is very inconsistent when it comes to getting a paycheck. There are pros and cons to the business. Most successful RE agents have a spouse or passive income that helps them through the slow months. And there will be many.

Good Luck!! And congrats for leaving O&G. I wish I could sometimes.
                    I was a Licensed Re salesman in kerrviile for years, this is very sound advice, passive income, or secondary sources of income
                    1. ABC = always be closing
                    2. You must list to exist
                    3. Don’t get discouraged when you’re getting established

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Keep your day job bro. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Spent most of my life in the oil field. Got tired of that and went into real estate. Had success but it was all on my own. Many of these brokerages actively feed their “top producers” leads, while they should be trying to make everyone a “top producer”.
                      You had better have a great “sphere of influence “ and work that sphere religiously. I could not compete with the shear volume of Realtors here in Katy. There was a couple of months where I literally had four sales fall out due to financing. Chicken one day and feathers the next.
                      And yes many brokers will readily sponsor a new agent. They can always use another agent splitting their hard earned commission with them. You may go right to the top and I hope you do. But once again, keep your day job for a while, or get another job and work real estate part time. You can be a virtual agent from your home and save money as well.
                      You will be competing with agents that may list a home for less than three percent, clients that want part of your salary back, and discount brokerages as well.
                      Definitely not all rainbows and unicorns. It’s hard work bro. Choose wisely.

Keeping my day job would be way easier to do if the oil and gas industry didn’t get turned on its head every 3 years (in my experience). I have a few friends that I’ve run my plan by on the last week or two who are established in real estate.

If this doesn’t work out it won’t be from lack of effort and try. Hopefully my ROW work comes back and I can do both, but at this point it’s dead in the water and sitting on my hands isn’t working to get me where I want to end up.

I appreciate the comments and they are things to think about for sure. Getting my real estate license will be a positive, whether I make a living out of it or use it on the side. I’m a dive in and try and swim type of person

Comment

My brother left the oil field and got into real estate. Let’s just say he does much better money wise and he wasn’t no slouch in the oil field. Put your nose down and give it hell is all I got.

Comment

I hope ya do well buddy.

Comment

Being a lender in a relatively small market that has over 400 licensed realtors I can tell you this 10% of the realtors account for 90% of the sales.

Drive and desire play a big part you got to be willing to put in the effort when others won’t but you can break in and be successful

Comment

“Dive in and try to swim” is going to be a big part of your success. I have no real advice other than learn all you can as fast as you can. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X