What di I learn from a squirrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What di I learn from a squirrel?

Ok, so maybe some of you can't figure out these tree rats and why they destroy stuff. It was driving me nuts (haha) why these dang things would drop corn on the ground off the feeder and then go climb up again to do it all over when there was a pile already easily accessible. Also they would go in my shed and open new bags when there was corn on the ground from their last escapades. What I finally noticed was, they only eat the soft yummy part of the kernel and leave behind the yellow hard parts. That is all...carry on.

( forgive my posts missing letters etc...fat fingers )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RattlesnakeDan; 12-27-2020, 06:56 AM.

Interesting. I wonder if they would eat the whole kernel if food was scarce? Or maybe they can’t digest the part they didn’t eat?

Comment

I’ve heard the white part of the kernel holds the bulk of the protein is why
      And they will eat the yellow part after all the white parts have been ate

Comment

A friend of mine had some “squirrel feeders” that looked like large minnow traps with holes on each end, big enough for squirrels to get in. They loaded it up with whole cobs of dried corn. They would eat the corn just like that and the deer would eat the yellow part that dropped to the ground.

Comment

Shoot the squirrels, get the soft corn parts back when you gut them, and then fry up those squirrel

Comment

Interesting observation.

Comment

That part of the corn doesn't come out corn.

Comment

That white tip part is called the “germ”. Contains all the oils and protein of the kernel. Squirrels are smart…

Comment

A rat, with a fuzzy tail................
                  And a good P.R. dept............
                  Kill'em all...............

Comment

Like already said

Germ of the kernel and where the most nutrition is

Similar to bears eating certain parts of salmon and tossing the rest

Comment

I saw a documentary on bears in Alaska and the bears would catch the salmon, bite off the head and then drop the rest of the fish in the water. The brain had the most fat but who would have thought the rest of the fish wasn't worth the trouble.

There were a whole bunch of other critters waiting downstream for the leftovers.

BT beat me to it.

Comment

That may be the same reason they eat half of a pear,or a peach.Drives me crazy they leave 3/4 of a piece of fruit on the ground.

Comment

Lol!

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                          That part of the corn doesn't come out corn.
                          I see whatcha did there!

Comment

Working...
                          X