Ethics question...fishing guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics question...fishing guide

We’ve a an offshore trip booked with a guide for a couple of months now out of Venice. I’ve already purchased my license for a charter fishing trip. Today he says due to COVID he didn’t get his charter license in time to take us fishing so we all need to buy a regular fishing license for salt and fresh water which is $92. Our trip is Friday. He says he will knock off half of the license cost. I feel like he should pay for all of it personally. It’s not our fault he didn’t get his ducks in a row before selling us a trip. Am I being unreasonable? I have a habit of that. Lol

Personally I wouldn’t say anything, go and enjoy the trip. When you come in and he has his hand out for the tip, I’d just shake it and thank him before I left.

Comment

I see what you’re sayin but his leverage is he’s taking you offshore fishing. How bad do you want to go?

^what he said - take it out of his tip

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        We’ve a an offshore trip booked with a guide for a couple of months now out of Venice. I’ve already purchased my license for a charter fishing trip. Today he says due to COVID he didn’t get his charter license in time to take us fishing so we all need to buy a regular fishing license for salt and fresh water which is $92. Our trip is Friday. He says he will knock off half of the license cost. I feel like he should pay for all of it personally. It’s not our fault he didn’t get his ducks in a row before selling us a trip. Am I being unreasonable? I have a habit of that. Lol
        In his defense....I had to make an appointment to get all my Commercial Fishing license with TP&W, they expired on the 31st
        I just got them, earliest appointment I could get, just saying

Comment

I think I’d run far, far away. From what I’m reading, they are available everyday and are good for the calendar year.

https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/page/f...es-and-permits
          Last edited by slayr; 09-22-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

That's $46 Be glad he's paying for half. How much is the trip $1,800 or so?

Worse case take it out of his tip..I'd assume you'd budget $200-400 for tip anyway.

Comment

From the page I posted:

‘Resident and nonresident guides operating charter fishing vessels in saltwater areas of Louisiana must have a Charter Boat Fishing Guide License, as well as other applicable licenses and permits. You can purchase new licenses at LDWF Headquarters at 2000 Quail Drive in Baton Rouge during normal business hours, 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday. You can also download an application and submit it via email or mail‘

‘For-hire/charter fishing licenses are valid beginning January 1 of each calendar year and expire December 31 of the same calendar year. Renew your license through the mail, in person, or online.’

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                Personally I wouldn’t say anything, go and enjoy the trip. When you come in and he has his hand out for the tip, I’d just shake it and thank him before I left.
                This is what I would do also.
                Guides are normal people like everybody else, sometimes stuff happens.

Comment

What I would do is ask him for an extra Tuna. Generally the "guide" limit is two per person. I think the recreational limit is three. I'm not for sure on the limit, but I'd take an extra Tuna for $90 bucks.

I've been up there in Troup to visit McKelroy Plastics. That's some haul to Venice. Good luck.

Comment

Who is it? I’d just pay it and have a good time. It’s a few extra bucks on top of what you’re already paying to go. You could always just not get the license and take your chances with the green jeans, you’ll probably be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      You could always just not get the license and take your chances with the green jeans, you’ll probably be ok.
                      This. Let it ride.

Comment

You plan to tip? Take the cost out of there. That isn't a very good excuse in my opinion.He should pay for the entirety of the fishing license cost. You paid for a Captain, with a charter fishing license, in your boat cost.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                          From the page I posted:

‘Resident and nonresident guides operating charter fishing vessels in saltwater areas of Louisiana must have a Charter Boat Fishing Guide License, as well as other applicable licenses and permits. You can purchase new licenses at LDWF Headquarters at 2000 Quail Drive in Baton Rouge during normal business hours, 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday. You can also download an application and submit it via email or mail‘

‘For-hire/charter fishing licenses are valid beginning January 1 of each calendar year and expire December 31 of the same calendar year. Renew your license through the mail, in person, or online.’
                          That's some interesting info on the charter license. He's operated for more than 9 months without a license from the looks of that.

Comment

I’m confused as hell. If you fish with a charter, your license is less expensive than fishing on your own? All of my customers must have Valid Texas fishing license.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                              That's some interesting info on the charter license. He's operated for more than 9 months without a license from the looks of that.

He’s a guide primarily on Lake Whitney. This is his first guide trip out of state this year I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X