Nobody ever said working cattle on a large scale is easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody ever said working cattle on a large scale is easy

But this place is absolutely dangerous at times. And I don’t mean just because bulls and cows are big animals. We have some of the craziest and meanest bovines around. They bread meanness. I had two cows tried to trample and crush me today. One had horns and attempted to ambush from behind while I pushed other cows down toward the hydraulic chute. Another tried her best to run me over while we were in large, open pens originally designed for horses. If it wasn’t for a horse blocking her attempts, I’d have been stomped.

The painful lump on my head is a result from fleeing a charging bull and smacking my head on a pipe fence. It was an absolute brutal day. Cows get hurt while sorting and then running them through a chute. You gotta have a strong stomach as well as threshold for pain. It’s not pretty and there’s nothing glorious about this job. It’s hard and sometimes there are days you might find yourself questioning why.

Got cows and if they are not docile they are gone

Comment

Guess the only good thing about all that is it wasn’t hot today. It was a good day to work em.

Comment

I thought you were looking for another line of work? No luck on that?

Comment

Go down IH-10 just a few miles west of Sheffield to the Smokey Mountain ranch, it's owned (or was when I was there) by some dentist out of Mexico, his side hustle was raising fighting bulls, they even had their own test arena on premises, you could find out whose got the meanest cows in the country!

Comment

Drive I-10 in Houston every morning you will not mind a hit to the head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like discovery wrote the intro to their new show, “Cattle Rush”

Comment

How old are you? Sounds hard on the body.

Comment

Sounds like a normal cowboy day. Good luck. Might want to find another job or yob if it is daunting. Guys get paid 150 a day around here to do it. I know I couldn’t.

Comment

I refuse to work wild cattle. Our cattle are easy to work and a bucket of feed will get them where they need to be. I have never understood why beating a cow on the head with a walking cane was a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I will be sure to not work any cattle on a large scale in the future.

Comment

Stay on your horse. Yes there are cowboys that can do most anything horseback.

Comment

We can't all be cowboys.

Comment

The most scary and entertaining day I ever had of working cows was in the pens with all momma cows from Herrington Cattle Co. We worked/vaccinated/DNA tested so they could track the success of which bucking bulls to momma cows. Those bitches were crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What.....you didn't have your cattle working gun on ya?

Comment

Working...
                              X