Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short. 308 idea

Hear me out.

Wanted a short 16" .308 for a suppressed scout, blind gun. All I could find was a 20" so I picked it up. It's a remington 700 sps tac 20inch.

Now I'm considering my options on cutting the barrel down and having my yhm phantom qd pinned and attached permanently. The qd is about 3 inches long.

Plan to shoot 150grains 200yds or less. Usually less

Here is a ballpark of what I'm thinking of......opinions? [emoji848]

Pic 1~24" total

Pic 2~22" totalClick image for larger version

Name:	20210225_181835.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	25242945Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_181703.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	25242946

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Velocity and 95% burn.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210225-173129_Samsung Internet.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	24645200Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210225-171431_Samsung Internet.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	24645201

Comment

Only thing to consider would be velocity if it matters. I think the shorter the better but only shooting 2475-2480fps with 168 FGMM out of a 16.5" SPS AAC with a 8" Griffin can.
      Attached Files

Comment

Short. 308 idea

If going to permanently pin then why not go shorter? Say 14-16” and suppressor break would bring to 16”+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
          If going to permanently pin then why not go shorter? Say 14-16” and suppressor break would bring to 16”+?

That's how it's lined up. All approximate of course.

13inch would get me to 16 inch, 22inch total

15inch would get me to 18inch, 24inch total

Comment

Remington makes that rifle in a 16.5" as well. I know you said the 20 was all you could find but if you could live with 16.5 and you're not in a hurry I would wait til I could pick one up and then sell yours. Would likely still come out a good bit ahead in $$ than spending to have yours cut.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              Remington makes that rifle in a 16.5" as well. I know you said the 20 was all you could find but if you could live with 16.5 and you're not in a hurry I would wait til I could pick one up and then sell yours. Would likely still come out a good bit ahead in $$ than spending to have yours cut.
              Yep, can't find one for a decent price. I'd also take an ugly 783 or a cva type but can't find one either.

I have the R700 16.5 aac-sd in 300 blk and a R783 16.5 in .223, all I need is the 308.

Also this rifle will be shorter as I'm using the qd to add 3inches as it will be permanent.

Comment

Pic 2 is what I would do in your spot. I have a 14" contender barrel I am going to have cut down and sbring the pistol frame to make a little suppressed .308. Barrel length will end up at 12" after cut down and will be 19" long after threading a can on it. I was planning on running 125 gr loads to get me out to 300 reliably.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I say if short is what you are after i say cut it as short as you can get by with and let her rip.

Comment

If you willing to spend the $, TBAC has a pinnable direct thread and then you can cut to 10” and pin a suppressor to it. I would go shortest your break will let you as don’t think you loose much and gain maneuverability.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                      If you willing to spend the $, TBAC has a pinnable direct thread and then you can cut to 10” and pin a suppressor to it. I would go shortest your break will let you as don’t think you loose much and gain maneuverability.

Originally posted by jnors06 View Post
                      I say if short is what you are after i say cut it as short as you can get by with and let her rip.
                      Pic 2 is the shortest I can go. About 13inch usable barrel and the 3inch qd mount will get me to 16inches.

Comment

I don't think 2-3 inches would be worth pinnning. Either SBR it or don't. If I were that concerned about OAL vs velocity I'd be looking at 12" with direct thread, but I understand the mental debate. 1st world problems for sure... I like it!

Comment

I was in the same boat. I went 16 only because I didn’t feel like paying a dang Sbr stamp.
                          FYI I’m still getting 2700fps with 178s with the can on.

I agree shorter the better. Unless you want to shoot far.

Comment

I've had one gun pinned and welded, sold it and doubt I'll ever have another.
                            Granted, mine was an AR but it's still a PITA.
                            To me its either worth it to SBR it (brace it if possible) or keep it 16" (or longer).
                            IMO for what you're gonna use it for I don't think that little bit of extra barrel length will be too big of a burden.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                              I was in the same boat. I went 16 only because I didn’t feel like paying a dang Sbr stamp.
                              FYI I’m still getting 2700fps with 178s with the can on.

I agree shorter the better. Unless you want to shoot far.
                              Most any load I see with a 178gr Hornady pushes them at 2600-2700 with 24-26 inch barrels. What powder and charge weight are you using to get 2700fps out of a 16 inch barrel? Ever shoot that load on a hot summer day?

Comment

Working...
                              X