Shop Torpedo heater for House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    The guy lived up there for years. He claimed that everyone up there uses kerosene heaters indoors. He said, if the fire marshal or any fireman walks in your building and you don't have a properly placed pan of water, you get fined.
    They get lectured on the carbon monoxide poisoning.

I have never heard of the idea. I ain't going to say it won't work. But at the same time I ain't going to stake my life on it. I have been interested in knowing if what he said is true, since he told me about it last week.
    Never ever heard of it. Lived in the north my whole childhood. There were propane heaters, and electric space heaters. And not a once have I ever seen or heard what your neighbor is talking about lol.

Comment

Here's a little science. Water can only absorb a certain amount of anything, be it sugar, oxygen, co, you name it. As far as a gas goes, the warmer the water, the less gas it can absorb. Just the opposite for solids. Maybe the water is for something else but it's sure not to absorb all the co2.
      Last edited by Walker; 02-17-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Here's a little science. Water can only absorb a certain amount of anything, be it sugar, oxygen, co2, you name it. As far as a gas goes, the warmer the water, the less gas it can absorb. Just the opposite for solids. Maybe the water is for something else but it's sure not to absorb all the co2.
        Only thing I can think of is to act as a form of condenser through being colder than exhaust and not as easily heated

Comment

This weather event needs to end soon. It’s making people stupid

Comment

You can run one in a house for a little bit no problem. Just don't go to sleep for dang sure. Done it before and would do it again if necessary. People run them in shops all the time, no reason you can't run them in a house if you use a little sense
            Last edited by RJH1; 02-17-2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
              Never ever heard of it. Lived in the north my whole childhood. There were propane heaters, and electric space heaters. And not a once have I ever seen or heard what your neighbor is talking about lol.
              I did some searching, because I am curious. There seems to be some truth to the story. I also searched up New Jersey fire marshal laws about using kerosene heaters inside. They said most cities don't allow it, but there are some areas, that do allow it. Most everywhere I searched, the said, carbon monoxide fumes produced by kerosene heaters are very dangerous and it is not recommended to use kerosene heaters indoors.

Here is the one thing I did find on the subject. I don't think I would trust it with my family's life with this method, without doing some tests first. Even then, I would want a carbon monoxide meter, in the house, before trying it.

This study has shown that there is significantly higher CO production with a large-diameter pan compared with a small-diameter pan. These findings were evident by using a camping stove to heat water to boiling point when a maximum blue flame was present throughout. Thus, in enclosed environments it …

The reason one of my neighbors got to telling me about this, is one of our other neighbors, can not deal with cold at all, he is like my wife. If it gets down in the 50s or colder, you won't see him, he stays home and pretty much hibernates, till it gets back up into the 60s, outside. But this winter, he has not worked much because his father had a heart attack, then got cancer, then died about two weeks ago. So he is behind on his work. So he was actually working last week. He had his propane heater going all day, non stop. He had his shop, just flat hot in there. So the other neighbor, the Puerto Rican, was in Frank's shop and saw he was heating his shop with a kerosene heater and did not have a water pan near the exhaust. So he knows Frank and I are good friends. So he came to me, to tell me that Frank was using a kerosene heater to heat his shop without a water pan. I looked at him like, OK, sure. What are you talking about. Then he told me about how things were done, where he used to live and work in New Jersey. He wanted me to convince Frank to use a pan of water when he is using his kerosene heater. But I don't know how the whole deal works, nor do I know if it works or how well. But the guy telling me about it, swears it work and kept telling me you will get carbon monoxide poisoning, if you don't use a water pan. So since being told this last week, I have been curious.
              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-17-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

While we were without power I used our 60.000 propane one to warm our house. Only ran it during the day and for maybe an hour at a time. Have a two story house and ran it where most of the heat would go up to the upstairs. Wasn’t just me in the house Had a nice blue flame. We were also going in and out so I’m sure that helped with ventilation and window cracked where extension cord came in thru the window

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                  You can run one in a house for a little bit no problem. Just don't go to sleep for dang sure. Done it before and would do it again if necessary. People run them in shops all the time, no reason you can't run them in a house if you use a little sense
                  This is what he was wanting to do, run it for 15 min then turn off. Maybe turn on just enough to warm house then shut off.

Comment

I used it in my barn today for 8 hours with no problems. It’s not air tight but pretty dang close.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Carbon Monoxide issues
                      Not worth the risk even with Carbon monoxide detector
                      I had my house reroofed and first cold front, wife and I nearly died! Roofer didn’t replace the heater vents, the alarms never went off , if I didn’t need to pee in the middle of the night probably would have died , it been on the news all day about people being rushed to university hospital

Comment

Heak I grew up huddled around a kerosene heater in the living room. I use a torpedo heater on diesel in my shop. It's spray foam insulated and sometimes it burns my eyes but atleast I'm warm out there. Idk if I'd use it in an air tight house, if I did it would definitely only be while I was awake and for short periods.

Comment

don't do it; BAD idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                            This is what he was wanting to do, run it for 15 min then turn off. Maybe turn on just enough to warm house then shut off.
                            Must be a big house. 15 minutes should have them sweating.

A few minutes will have it plenty toasty. I've done it before and would do it again if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                              Must be a big house. 15 minutes should have them sweating.

A few minutes will have it plenty toasty. I've done it before and would do it again if needed.
                              3,000 sqft roughly, well he picked it up and using it, I told him be smart about it. He said 10 min and main part of house was warm and he turned it off. He said might turn it back on at 3:00am for 10 min then shut off again.

Comment

No !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X