Shutting off water to house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutting off water to house

We keep loosing power for extended periods of time. I’m considering shutting off the main valve to house and opening all the faucets to prevent from bursting. Is this a viable option?

Yes. Before you open all the drains open the lowest drain first...maybe the outside hose bib closest to the street. Then open the rest. Leave them open.

Comment

Best to keep them dripping and combined small stream

Comment

If you have water still sitting in your pipes it will freeze blow it out with an air compressor after you shut off the main should be golden

Comment

You will need to turn you hot water heater off and drain toilets and washing and dish washer.

Comment

Just curious why you would turn the water off because you are losing power
            Just want to make sure I’m not missing something here
            I understand turning off the water heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
              Just curious why you would turn the water off because you are losing power
              Just want to make sure I’m not missing something here
              I understand turning off the water heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              no electricity = no heat. No heat = frozen pipes. Turn the main water supply off and drain water out of pipes and keep faucets open you won't bust pipes.

Comment

If you have a well with a pump, and no electricity. You need to get the water out of the pipes, or get the electric, back on to at least the well. You either need to open faucets and let water flow, or shut it off and some how, get all the water out of the pipes, which will be hard to do. Unless you have a drain, at the lowest point, of all your water lines. That usually does not happen. If you had pressurized air, you could open the lowest faucet and blow most of it out. If you don't have electricity, you probably don't have compressed air either.

I would just open as many faucets around the house and let the flow, then keep checking them, every hour.

Comment

Yes. I filled my tubs up and also a bunch of pots. Tub water is for the toilets. Opened all fixtures and faucets. Worry free now. Lot easier to do this than to fix a bunch of leaks.

Comment

If well water, this makes sense

If public was supply, no need for this.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                      If well water, this makes sense

If public was supply, no need for this.

I agree... pipes on outer walls should be insulated and will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                        We keep loosing power for extended periods of time. I’m considering shutting off the main valve to house and opening all the faucets to prevent from bursting. Is this a viable option?
                        makes good sense to me. opening the faucets should allow the water to expand. i had never thought of this.

Comment

That was my thought. On city water supply, just going through long periods with no power. Water heater is gas so it’s ok. I have some sterno cans I may put under the sink as well. I’m just afraid if I shut it off and don’t have any drip they will for sure freeze and be without.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                            That was my thought. On city water supply, just going through long periods with no power. Water heater is gas so it’s ok. I have some sterno cans I may put under the sink as well. I’m just afraid if I shut it off and don’t have any drip they will for sure freeze and be without.
                            If you shut off water and drain faucets that will also drain your hot water heater. You don't want your hot water heater running with no water in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              If you shut off water and drain faucets that will also drain your hot water heater. You don't want your hot water heater running with no water in the tank.
                              True.

Comment

Working...
                              X