Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to clean a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m loving this thread...looking forward to setting the new record next season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
      From hanging to ice chest (hams, shoulders, tenders, straps) my best was 7 minutes. I was a younger man then. These days about 15 mins.

I like a scalpel blade to start, a good gut hook in the middle, and most work with a half-dull skimming knife (like used in a processing plant).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      ****, that's fast.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
        I’m loving this thread...looking forward to setting the new record next season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Sub 7 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          No gut method makes it faster.

This is true, but makes it a little harder to get to the tenderloins. The elk in my picture I did by myself doing the gutless method with just one knife....That was a job breaking the legs and neck etc to haul the head off later. Temperature was 9 degrees on public land I had not hunted before. Gets a little nerve racking in the pitch black snow when you hear the crunching of something walking around you while skinning an animal in grizzly and wolf country.
          Last edited by Beargrasstx; 01-17-2021, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            It’s sitting on the stainless table within half an arms reach. [emoji13][emoji23]

Completely skinned.. backstraps and tenderloins out. All four lower legs/hooves still attached... head still attached. I’ll even let you cut around the hips to access the rear quarter joints. Race is to cut all four lower legs off, the neck at the base of the skull and separate rear quarters from each other.

Ready ....set .... go!

Zip.... Zip....Zip....Zip ... Zip.... Ziiiiip!

We’re done!! [emoji12][emoji23]
            This place cracks me up. Why do we always end up trying to see who’s is bigger? I’ve been guilty of it at times as well. Either way I’d race you. You may beat me but I’ll bet I can be dang close. I don’t even want a saw. Just want a sharp knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
              From hanging to ice chest (hams, shoulders, tenders, straps) my best was 7 minutes. I was a younger man then. These days about 15 mins.

I like a scalpel blade to start, a good gut hook in the middle, and most work with a half-dull skimming knife (like used in a processing plant).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
              Wow! I skin about 1 deer a year and it takes me about 40min to an hour to do. You sir, are my hero

Comment

😂🤣😂smh.

Comment

I don't think I've skinned/quartered a deer since I switched to the Havalon. I have broken them down with just a knife, and used a sawzall, and I dig my Wyoming saw, good sharp hatchet is handy too.....but given the option, I'm a loppers guy all the way. It's a 2 beer project, at minimum, if it's a nice buck or a kids buck it takes at least 4 beers.

Skinny and I did his ~650lb Nilgai with multiple havalons, and a sawzall, and I think we were well over 2 hours at it....never again. There is meat EVERYWHERE on those **** things...

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                    This place cracks me up. Why do we always end up trying to see who’s is bigger? I’ve been guilty of it at times as well. Either way I’d race you. You may beat me but I’ll bet I can be dang close. I don’t even want a saw. Just want a sharp knife.

It was a joke hacking on BoB, Fajkus...we do that back and forth all the time...and laugh about it via text

The funny thing ..I don't claim sawzalling (or loppers for that matter) to be faster or cleaner than anything else but its how we do it and it certainly speeds things up for us if ALL the things mentioned that need to be sawed are done at the end while the deer is still hanging.With it hanging most of the bone chips hit the ground so that's not really an issue. There is a little on the hind quarters but its a easy sprayoff with the rest of the meat on the table. We have a saw with a 9" blade dedicated to it and it comes out with our knives when we clean a deer. Cleanup is a wipe down just like we would a knife. A piece of duct tape (roll kept in the box) over the blade insert area makes cleanup quick and easy and the blade gets scrubbed like our knives in the sink.

In the grand scheme of things in the past folks having been arguing over seconds....we talkin' 'bout seconds here...not minutes ...seconds.... That's the reason I replied to the sawzall comment here. I couldn't care less how anybody else does it, knock yourself out... but I do think its funny that every time a sawzall is brought up in these threads, somebody has to tell we users they are faster popping the joints or ask "You need a saw to do that? You got to be kidding me?" or something similar when they don't take the whole sawzall usage picture into account. Happens every skinning thread. Again I don't claim its faster than anybody else because there are some fast mofos on youtube and here. We are not even close to them lol. But when you do ALL that needs to be sawed at the end real quick the process of everything getting done is pretty dang fast and easy for us.....and I emphasize "for us"..
                    Last edited by Smart; 01-17-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I don't think I've skinned/quartered a deer since I switched to the Havalon. I have broken them down with just a knife, and used a sawzall, and I dig my Wyoming saw, good sharp hatchet is handy too.....but given the option, I'm a loppers guy all the way. It's a 2 beer project, at minimum, if it's a nice buck or a kids buck it takes at least 4 beers.

Skinny and I did his ~650lb Nilgai with multiple havalons, and a sawzall, and I think we were well over 2 hours at it....never again. There is meat EVERYWHERE on those **** things...

Never again on the nilgai? lol ... Brother said they were like breaking down a cow.

I dig the Havalon style knives as well for skinning. Skinny turned me onto them as well several years back when he came out to my place to hunt. I use the Outdoor Edge Razor version though. My 26 yo Buck Vanguard and Stic have been sitting in my cleaning bag retired for several years. Love those things

Comment

I absolutely wont shoot a nilgai by myself if nobody is around to help, those days sailed by. Deer aren’t as big

Comment

There it is!! Was waiting for that!.[emoji23]

Let’s race!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
                          Take me to you're MLD place and I'll let you win as a point of gratitude for the invite.[emoji106][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Never again on the nilgai? lol ... Brother said they were like breaking down a cow.

I dig the Havalon style knives as well for skinning. Skinny turned me onto them as well several years back when he came out to my place to hunt. I use the Outdoor Edge Razor version though. My 26 yo Buck Vanguard and Stic have been sitting in my cleaning bag retired for several years. Love those things
                            Never again quartering a big bull. We cut, and we cut, and we cut, and we cut some more....it's like that thing was regenerating meat. I bet the neck roast weighed 15lbs, and there was a slab of meat on the outside of the ribs that looked like a saddle blanket. We may have been over 3 hours, I can't remember, but it was a JOB!

Comment

Co-worker wanted some meat so I shot an Axis today. Since my brother wanted the hide it took my about 1.5hr because I was trying to be careful with hide.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, Smart and I have kinda been giving each other **** for years. Lol.

Elk and bigger animals I am out. Never killed one. Have no clue.

Comment

Working...
                                X