Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it too soon to to tell 2021 off?

Not a rant just first thread of 2021

Got new tires on my truck last night before heading to lease. Rained on me all the way to Benbrook. After that it was snow and snow covered roads all the way to the lease.
    Tires did good.

I got the the lease, pulled through the gate, got out closed and locked the gate. I get back in truck. Shift into D and the lever moves, indicator says P and it's not in gear.
    I pull dash bezel thinking it's in the column. Still don't know.
    I leave the truck is still sitting at the gate blocking it. My buddy comes out and we carry my stuff to camp.

I'm thinking either linkage or transmission is the issue.

It's straddled over a mound in the drive way and the front tires are at the edge of a big mud hole.
    Google says it could be that the linkage came off the side of the transmission. So I'll have to get under it to check that out.

I'm glad it happened here so I wouldn't have to spend the night in the truck.

Didn't hunt this am. Still snow on the ground here as well.

Other than that 2021 has started off great

Coffee is brewing, after I partake of a cup or 3 it's off to look at that.

Hoping your New Year is starting off better.

Probably just the linkage, got to climb up underneath and manually put it in gear.

Good luck and happy new year

Comment

If that happened last night, then 2020 ended with a bang! Happy New Year! Hope it isn’t a big repair for you.

Comment

Hope it’s an easy fix. Update when u can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with AFF. That happened last year.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Probably just the linkage, got to climb up underneath and manually put it in gear.

Good luck and happy new year
            I'd be a little cautious with this maneuver or this could be your first and last post of the year.

Comment

What year model and make of truck? There hasn’t been linkage on transmissions in many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Where the linkage hooks into the side of the transmission came unhooked.
                Couldn't reach it laying on the ground. So we jacked it up, put jack stands under the frame. I was able to get underneath it than. Hooked the cable back onto the transmission. It clicked back in place. It shifted into gear just fine gear indicator moved as well.

Drove it from the gate to the cement pad in front of landowners mobile home. Drove it up on wood so I can climb back underneath it.

Now trying to find the end.

Comment

Originally posted by mike d View Post
                  what year model and make of truck? There hasn’t been linkage on transmissions in many years.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
                  1998 gmc 1500 z71 5.7l

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. Happy new year bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      I'd be a little cautious with this maneuver or this could be your first and last post of the year.
                      Of course you need someone on the brake. Lol

Or if your brave just use the parking brake. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                        Where the linkage hooks into the side of the transmission came unhooked.
                        Couldn't reach it laying on the ground. So we jacked it up, put jack stands under the frame. I was able to get underneath it than. Hooked the cable back onto the transmission. It clicked back in place. It shifted into gear just fine gear indicator moved as well.

Drove it from the gate to the cement pad in front of landowners mobile home. Drove it up on wood so I can climb back underneath it.

Now trying to find the end.

Good deal easy fix, good thang linkage still there, sometimes the fall off

Comment

Looks like its going to be a better year. I understood every word.

Comment

I've replaced the little white bushing on many of these, both ends of the cable. Although i think this one is different, like a tahoe I had. If i remember correctly it required replacing the entire cable, the connector was tight on the selector rod in direction of moving selector, but would slide off rod easily. I used two steel zip ties to hold it from popping off pin and it worked fine for years.

Comment

Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X